Spoke Tension : Open Pro

scotty72

Jul 10, 2005
I realise that this has been asked before (I've searched the forums) but, I'll ask it again as I've yet to be able to find an answer.

Mavic Open Pro Wheels (assuming a 2.0mm round steel spoke)

What is the correct tension (32H - if that makes a difference)?

The Mavic web site and support people are useless in this regard.

Thanks is advance

Scotty

PS. I've been going at around 90-100. I'm just not sure if I should ge higher or, will I kill the rim.

90 seems a little loose but, then again, I'm pretty heavy. I'm fraught :-(

scotty72 said:
I realise that this has been asked before (I've searched the forums) but, I'll ask it again as I've yet to be able to find an answer.

Mavic Open Pro Wheels (assuming a 2.0mm round steel spoke)

What is the correct tension (32H - if that makes a difference)?

The Mavic web site and support people are useless in this regard.

Thanks is advance

Scotty

PS. I've been going at around 90-100. I'm just not sure if I should ge higher or, will I kill the rim.

90 seems a little loose but, then again, I'm pretty heavy. I'm fraught :-(
100 kgf front and right rear.
Rims are rated @ 100 kg rider.
If left rear nipples are unwinding, try some Sapim S.I.L.S. nipples. If front or right rear nipples are unwinding, try some stouter rims.

FWIW. Presuming you are using a PARK tensiometer ... 23.5 on the scale with straight 14g spokes is my recollection (unfortunately, I have a Wheelsmith tensiometer ... which I do NOT recommend, despite the praises some people have for it!).

I know this is a bit belated, but I have a Ultegra/Open pro wheelset which I put together myself, and I got the tension at abt 120kgf.

I am abt 95kg. Wheels have been good so far.

ps I also used DTSwiss 14G spokes

alfeng said:
FWIW. Presuming you are using a PARK tensiometer ... 23.5 on the scale with straight 14g spokes is my recollection (unfortunately, I have a Wheelsmith tensiometer ... which I do NOT recommend, despite the praises some people have for it!).
That's pretty much what I went for. 23 on the drive side and a little less on the other.

Thanks

Scotty

thomas_cho said:
I know this is a bit belated, but I have a Ultegra/Open pro wheelset which I put together myself, and I got the tension at abt 120kgf.

I am abt 95kg. Wheels have been good so far.

ps I also used DTSwiss 14G spokes
Don't mean to tell you how to suck eggs but, I'd be careful of that much tension.

The reason I asked on this forum is because I learnt the hard (expensive) way that 120 was too tight. Cracked near the eyelet.

I've asked the mechanics at a few bike shops for their opinions (as well as asking here) in the past day or two. Whilst there are variations in their opinions, they all agree that Open Pros should not exceed 110 at most and nor do you really need to. I'm heavy and 90 - 100 is fine for me.

Scotty

No worries, but I remember that in my research I seemed to gather that the consensus the rim limit was 120kgf. Anyways .. .I might just go and check the wheels out this weekend, rain is forecasted anyway.