Stabilisers

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Danny Colyer, Feb 9, 2003.

  1. Danny Colyer

    Danny Colyer Guest

    I'm a little surprised that I'm asking this, since I don't really believe in the things myself, but
    does anyone know where to get a decent pair of stabilisers?

    My sister has bought a bike for her daughter's birthday and wants a pair of stabilisers to go with
    it. She says that if you buy a bike ready fitted with stabilisers then you get a nice tubular set,
    but otherwise H*lf*rds & Toys'R'Us only sell stabilisers made from bent pressed metal with crap
    wheels. She'd rather have a tubular set (which I'd expect to be stronger anyway).

    (I haven't looked at stabilisers in great detail to know exactly what she's talking about - I've had
    a quick look on WWW since putting the phone down, but didn't find anything terribly useful).

    Thomas Paine

    Tags:

  2. Just Zis Guy

    Just Zis Guy Guest

    On Sun, 9 Feb 2003 19:17:30 -0000, "Danny Colyer" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >I'm a little surprised that I'm asking this, since I don't really believe in the things myself, but
    >does anyone know where to get a decent pair of stabilisers?

    Don't do it! Take the pedals off, drop the saddle down so the feet are flat on the ground (DO NOT
    start on a bike too big to do this!), find a gentle downward slope, sit the child on the bike, if
    necessary place a hand between the shoulders for balance (never hold the saddle) and let the child
    find the balance of the bike as they scoot down the hill. It works in anything from ten minutes
    upwards. The longest I've known it take was two hours with a child who was very accustomed to riding
    a trailer bike.

    Following which I advise elbow and knee pads for a while, until they've really got the
    hang of it :)

    HTH

    Guy
    ===
    dynamic DNS permitting)
    work. Apologies.

  3. Danny Colyer

    Danny Colyer Guest

    Guy wrote:
    > Don't do it! Take the pedals off, drop the saddle down so the feet are flat on the ground...

    I know that, and I hope to try and persuade my sister when we can find time between putting kids to
    bed for a longer conversation. But neither she or her husband cycles, and I only get down to see
    them 2 or 3 times a year, so there's a good chance they'll stick to the way we all learnt - with
    stabilisers.

    If I don't manage to persuade her of the wisdom of learning without stabilisers, then I'd like to be
    able to at least tell her where to get a decent set.

    But thanks anyway.

    Thomas Paine

  4. Sandy Morton

    Sandy Morton Guest

    In article <[email protected]>, "Just zis Guy, you know?"
    <[email protected]> wrote:
    > Take the pedals off, drop the saddle down so the feet are flat on the ground (DO NOT start on a
    > bike too big to do this!), find a gentle downward slope, sit the child on the bike, if necessary
    > place a hand between the shoulders for balance (never hold the saddle) and let the child find the
    > balance of the bike as they scoot down the hill.

    Totally agree but I would also add -

    Do it on grass so that if they fall off they are less liable to be hurt - keeps mum happy.

    --
    A T (Sandy) Morton on the Bicycle Island In the Global Village http://www.sandymillport.fsnet.co.uk

  5. Sandy Morton

    Sandy Morton Guest

    In article <[email protected]>,
    Danny Colyer <[email protected]> wrote:
    > f I don't manage to persuade her of the wisdom of learning without stabilisers, then I'd like to
    > be able to at least tell her where to get a decent set.

    How old are the kids, what size is the bike?

    --
    A T (Sandy) Morton on the Bicycle Island In the Global Village http://www.sandymillport.fsnet.co.uk

  6. Danny Colyer

    Danny Colyer Guest

    Sandy Morton wrote:
    > How old are the kids, what size is the bike?

    My niece will be 5. I've no idea what size the bike is - the subject came up briefly just before my
    sister had to hang up to deal with the kids.

    Thomas Paine

  7. Just Zis Guy

    Just Zis Guy Guest

    Danny Colyer wrote:

    > I know that, and I hope to try and persuade my sister when we can find time between putting kids
    > to bed for a longer conversation. But neither she or her husband cycles, and I only get down to
    > see them 2 or 3 times a year, so there's a good chance they'll stick to the way we all learnt -
    > with stabilisers.

    Hmmm. I've never found a set of stabilisers which was completely satisfactory (we tried them with
    Michael before we learned the True Path) - but I do know that children who've mastered a two-wheeled
    scooter can transfer to a bike almost without training.

    --
    Guy
    ===

  8. Chris French

    Chris French Guest

    In message <[email protected]>, "Just zis Guy, you know?"
    <[email protected]> writes

    >Hmmm. I've never found a set of stabilisers which was completely satisfactory (we tried them with
    >Michael before we learned the True Path) - but I do know that children who've mastered a
    >two-wheeled scooter can transfer to a bike almost without training.

    I really like the look of 'Like-a-bike' for Elinor, looks like great fun for a little 'un. Not sure
    I'd justify the price though.

    <http://www.kinetics.org.uk/html/like-a-bike.html>
    --
    Chris French, Leeds

  9. Just Zis Guy

    Just Zis Guy Guest

    chris French wrote:

    > I really like the look of 'Like-a-bike' for Elinor, looks like great fun for a little 'un. Not
    > sure I'd justify the price though.

    Especially since after half an hour you'll be tring to screw the pedals back on, only to find it
    doesn't have any ;-)

    --
    Guy
    ===

  10. Chris French

    Chris French Guest

    In message <[email protected]>, Danny Colyer <[email protected]> writes
    >I'm a little surprised that I'm asking this, since I don't really believe in the things myself, but
    >does anyone know where to get a decent pair of stabilisers?

    I don't know if they would meet your/her requirements, or if they are decent. But I was in
    Halfords this afternoon, they sell stabilisers there (unsurprisingly).

    I had a quick look, the arms where of a very substantial steel rectangular section - rather than
    tubular. Certainly they didn't look they would bend, unlike the pressed steel ones on the kiddies
    bikes on display, but they did weigh a bit hefty.

    About GBP 11.
    --
    Chris French, Leeds

  11. In message <[email protected]>, Danny Colyer <[email protected]> writes
    >Guy wrote:
    >> Don't do it! Take the pedals off, drop the saddle down so the feet are flat on the ground...
    >
    >I know that, and I hope to try and persuade my sister when we can find time between putting kids to
    >bed for a longer conversation. But neither she or her husband cycles, and I only get down to see
    >them 2 or 3 times a year, so there's a good chance they'll stick to the way we all learnt - with
    >stabilisers.

    Not me guv. They delayed my learning for months. Wouldn't the Pashley Pickle trike be a better bet?
    Inside leg 17 inches and up. £249, heirloom quality.

    http://www.pashley.co.uk

    >If I don't manage to persuade her of the wisdom of learning without stabilisers, then I'd like to
    >be able to at least tell her where to get a decent set.
    >
    >But thanks anyway.

    HTH!

    --
    Richard Keatinge

    http://www.topica.com/cyclingdoctors/

    - support and solutions for cycling doctors