Stage 16 2000: Armstrong 'bonks'.

Irish Indurain

Jul 23, 2004
I was just watching some highlights of Stage 16 in the Tour de france in 2000 on youtube. Its only some brief clips of the final climb and then an interview with Armstrong afterwards.

In the climb he was dropped by Virenque and Ullrich but in the interview he had some choice words for Marco Pantani, labelling him a "sh*t stirrer". I missed the earlier part of the stage so I was hoping someone would be able to fill me in on what happened. Did Pantani go on some suicidal breakaway on the ascent or something? Or was it just armstrong being sour and looking for an excuse for a poor day in the mountains?

Sorry, Im just very curious about this one!

I always thought 2003 TdF was the only one that Armstrong was dropped. Now I see that he was dropped twice in 7 years.

Virenque said:
I always thought 2003 TdF was the only one that Armstrong was dropped. Now I see that he was dropped twice in 7 years.
Why are we talking about 2000 ? Is that because DC are shite in 2006..... lets not let this forums degenerate into a Armstrong highlight reel wanking session...

whiteboytrash said:
Why are we talking about 2000 ? Is that because DC are shite in 2006..... lets not let this forums degenerate into a Armstrong highlight reel wanking session...
Well, not everyone here were into cycling in 2000, so it's really nice to see those clips, and I enjoy a clip of Lance bonking just like I enjoy a clip of a stage he wins.

Orla_24 said:
Well, not everyone here were into cycling in 2000, so it's really nice to see those clips, and I enjoy a clip of Lance bonking just like I enjoy a clip of a stage he wins.
Every time this year when DC fail we digress back into how big was Armstrong VO2 max..... why don't we start a thread on Ag2R the new darlings of the peleton ?

whiteboytrash said:
Every time this year when DC fail we digress back into how big was Armstrong VO2 max..... why don't we start a thread on Ag2R the new darlings of the peleton ?
''I'm your huckleberry'' ;)

images%5Cdoc_092_thumb.jpg

whiteboytrash said:
Every time this year when DC fail we digress back into how big was Armstrong VO2 max.....
I don`t know what`s so big about Armstrong there. He was dropped by his closest rival for god`s sake!:)

whiteboytrash said:
The new darlings of the peloton are Agritubel. It's a name that just rolls off the tongue. Plus they make farm equipment and there's nothing cooler than that. They're just a continental team, ranked 12th in the team comp, with 1 stage win thus far. Agritubel! Now skin that smoke wagon.

discobean7 said:
The new darlings of the peloton are Agritubel. It's a name that just rolls off the tongue. Plus they make farm equipment and there's nothing cooler than that. They're just a continental team, ranked 12th in the team comp, with 1 stage win thus far. Agritubel! Now skin that smoke wagon.
Whilst some posters on this forum want stop buying LeMond bikes because they don't like his comments about Lance..... I prefer to do something positive and because of Agritubel success at this Tour I'm going to go out and buy 487 liters of pesticide.... :)

whiteboytrash said:
Whilst some posters on this forum want stop buying LeMond bikes because they don't like his comments about Lance..... I prefer to do something positive and because of Agritubel success at this Tour I'm going to go out and buy 487 liters of pesticide.... :)

Armstron forgot to eat a good breakfast...missed his feed bag, and yes Pantani started attacking two to three mountains from the finish, Armstrong felt he had to go with it. Pantani eventually folded and was caught and dropped for fifteen minutes.

Lance bonked on Joux Plane and lost several minutes.

Richard Virenque got away with Roberto Heras and went down fast to Morzine.
Heras aske what the finish was like. Virenque said one wide sweeping east turn to the left at the bottom. Heras led out. I

It was a very sharp severe turn, Heras went straight into the barriers and Virenque too the stage.

bobke said:
Armstron forgot to eat a good breakfast...missed his feed bag, and yes Pantani started attacking two to three mountains from the finish, Armstrong felt he had to go with it. Pantani eventually folded and was caught and dropped for fifteen minutes.

Lance bonked on Joux Plane and lost several minutes.

Richard Virenque got away with Roberto Heras and went down fast to Morzine.
Heras aske what the finish was like. Virenque said one wide sweeping east turn to the left at the bottom. Heras led out. I

It was a very sharp severe turn, Heras went straight into the barriers and Virenque too the stage.
As anal as Armstrong is about training, him "forgetting to eat" is rather hard to believe.

Mansmind said:
As anal as Armstrong is about training, him "forgetting to eat" is rather hard to believe.
ummm, I have the twelve hour version, I daw itm he missed his musette bag.

Same thing happened famously to Greg Lemond in the TdF on a mountain stage when Hinault took advantage of it...

he bonked. big whoopee.

Oh, lemme guess, his bonk in 2000 will feature in some trial in France in the year 2015 when they re-examine his urines???

Recall for us all please that all his and his teams urines in 2000 were retroactively tested in 2001 for doping by a French federal judiciary.
All clean all negative.

Ullrich also bonked the day before at Courchevel I think and no one talks about it...;)

That`s because Lance bonked only twice in 7 TdFs while Ulrich did it more often.