Stage 16 TDF : Mourenx - Pau : Spoiler

limerickman said:
I think you're correct : he moved from 12th to 7th on GC today : I have to say I am slightly surprised that the main bunch weren't chasing harder to counteract
Evans breakaway.

Good stage today, I have to say.
I wonder why Evans did so much work in last 2 km and then he couldn`t go for a stage win. I think stage win is a lot more in his case than difference between 7th and e.g. 9th place in GC.

Virenque said:
I wonder why Evans did so much work in last 2 km and then he couldn`t go for a stage win. I think stage win is a lot more in his case than difference between 7th and e.g. 9th place in GC.

Fair point.

I can only relate what CE said in the post race interview : maybe he was just too tired to contest the final sprint ?

Virenque said:

Couldn't agree more. He could have slowed enough to force some of the other riders through, and then, if the pace was not good enough he could have gone back on the front. There was plenty of time for this to happen. HIs was a gutsy effort and showed, for the first time on the road, what a great rider he could be.

People remember a stage winner, they don't remember who came 8th (or second even) in the tour.

mitosis said:
People remember a stage winner, they don't remember who came 8th (or second even) in the tour.

At least CE can still claim to be the moral victor.

House said:
My only problem with this win is that he also helped Evans move past Landis in the GC. That doesn't seem to be very team spirited.
Not a major issue really!
Landis will beat Evans in the ITT and move back above him.

In other news:

Kloden's broken his hand in that crash he had early in the stage and will possibly be pulling out of the Tour.