Stage 16 TDF - Wednesday, July 25: Orthez - Gourette - Col d’Aubisque, 218.5km

IH8LANCE said:
Even the small winners bonuses might come into play, and with this being the last stage where mountain workhorses will be needed, I think there's a good possibility that Discovery might try to chase down every early breakaway (or at least keep it on a short leash) to ensure that if Contador can get out front again, there will be no one to take the time bonuses at the end of the stage.
Of course, Rabo might be making lots of deals with riders from other teams to get a bunch to attack and force the Disco boys to chase them all down.

Then Disco could be relied upon to have Popo lead the group at a steady pace on the last uphill, shell Levi and have Contador and the Danish Chicken duke it out again.

Tee hee hee.

Powerful Pete said:
Of course, Rabo might be making lots of deals with riders from other teams to get a bunch to attack and force the Disco boys to chase them all down..
Good point. (I can see your diabolical wringing of the hands from here. ;) )

lwedge said:
On paper, it looks to play out much the same way as stage 14. I think the youngster Contador has the legs to hang with Razz but I don't think he can crack him. I look for the same, attacks by Liepheimer, Sastra, Conti and hope you can crack Razz but I don't think that's gonna happen.

I wonder what Kloden is thinking? maybe he'll put something together. I really hope I can watch stage 16, I'm looking for real battle on this stage. We'll see.

lw
Probably a little RAGE right now... eh ?:mad:

lw

JRMDC said:
He has said that he would rather try winning and end up sixth than settle for second. So look for something from him.

It is great to hear that. I'm often disappointed that people ride too conservatively for fearing the loss of a podium position. Who really remembers 2nd or 3rd place?

As a side note, coming into the Tour, I was pulling for Levi, but after 2 weeks of watching his style of racing, (sucking wheels with no accelerations or attacks), it is definitely not very exciting. Thank God for Contador to spice it up a little.

Hopefully, tomorrow will animate early with a "go for broke" attitude.

cPritch67 said:
It is great to hear that. I'm often disappointed that people ride too conservatively for fearing the loss of a podium position. Who really remembers 2nd or 3rd place?

As a side note, coming into the Tour, I was pulling for Levi, but after 2 weeks of watching his style of racing, (sucking wheels with no accelerations or attacks), it is definitely not very exciting. Thank God for Contador to spice it up a little.

Hopefully, tomorrow will animate early with a "go for broke" attitude.
i often wonder if those who call what evans and LL are doing "wheelsucking" have ever ridden in a group before. :mad:

if you can't accelerate and pull away and must hang onto the back....IT'S NOT WHEELSUCKING! wheelsucking is making someone else do the work while you chill and then take advantage of their efforts at the end.

did i miss LL sprinting to victory after being pulled up the mountain? am i the only one that saw him get repeatedly dropped only to slowly claw his way back into the leading group? sheesh.

cPritch67 said:
As a side note, coming into the Tour, I was pulling for Levi, but after 2 weeks of watching his style of racing, (sucking wheels with no accelerations or attacks), it is definitely not very exciting.
Levi just doesn't have the ability to downshift and accelerate. He's a plodder. In my recollection, he made two attempts, albeit abbreviated ones, to try to make a move, once in the Alps and once early on the last climb on Sunday, but the others reeled him in without any effort at all. I can't dislike Levi for riding within his capabilities and hoping for the others to weaken. So far, that boring strategy has been effective enough to get him to within one spot of the podium. If Evans had ridden a little more like Levi on Sunday, my guess is that he'd be at least a minute closer to Rasmussen on the GC. He blew himself out. A noble effort, but not a particularly smart one.

IH8LANCE said:
Good point. (I can see your diabolical wringing of the hands from here. ;) )
ROTFL. Remember, we Southern Europeans live for conspiracy theories and all the diabolical bits...

Powerful Pete said:
ROTFL. Remember, we Southern Europeans live for conspiracy theories and all the diabolical bits...
God loves southern Europe, that is why he put Greek/Italian women & food and the Vatican there!!!!!!

It's clear to me that Contador cannot crack the chicken by himself. I think Levi has to be sacrificed. Levi should attack early (to get rid of Boogerd etc.) and make Raz chase him (assuming Evans keeps it calm) a couple of times. His attacks must be hard and he will have to blow his fuses. Then Contador can try his attack and hope. If it doesn't work and Raz comes back, Contador will still podium. No one cares whether Levi will lose a few places or not when there's a chance to put a teammate in yellow.

Cobblestones said:
It's clear to me that Contador cannot crack the chicken by himself. I think Levi has to be sacrificed. Levi should attack early (to get rid of Boogerd etc.) and make Raz chase him (assuming Evans keeps it calm) a couple of times. His attacks must be hard and he will have to blow his fuses. Then Contador can try his attack and hope. If it doesn't work and Raz comes back, Contador will still podium. No one cares whether Levi will lose a few places or not when there's a chance to put a teammate in yellow.
I would agree with that except I don't think Levi is physically capable of attacking. He can raise the pace, like Popo has been doing, but he just doesn't have the acceleration to put Rasmussen in distress. It's too bad that someone like Mayo isn't sitting next to Contador on the GC. Between the two of them, they might be able to tag-team Rasmussen. As it stands, though, Evans and Leipheimer are not the ideal allies for Contador, because they have not shown that they can fire the afterburners.

Cobblestones said:
Velonews says Levi is willing to work for Contador.

I would like to see Popo go off in a break for KOM points and to be the guy placed up front to help Contador...forget about doping... it will bug me if chicken gets both KOM and Yellow.

id like to see soler break free and go for the kom points. and i know this is wishful thinking and he is not a fave of mine, but it would totally rock if wheelsucking evans went on the attack and proved his podium worthiness. then what would people say on this forum? lol hell, something like that, totally unpredictable is what the tour needs right about now. oh how about the rise of piti? can he salvage his tour with the stage win or is he completely off form (off his usual dope)?

JRMDC said:
Velonews says Levi is willing to work for Contador.

lol, its not like he has much choice. one thing i give levi credit for... he never stops dreaming :D

wilmar13 said:
I would like to see Popo go off in a break for KOM points and to be the guy placed up front to help Contador...forget about doping... it will bug me if chicken gets both KOM and Yellow.
I think Ras and Soler have a good understanding of each other as well. It actually seemed like he was doing some work for the rabos in stage 15 (wouldnt suprise me to see him signing for Rabobank after the tour). If popo can get away on an early break he'll have a shot it would be nice, but I'd rather see Soler take the KOM. If Ras, Popo and Soler stick with the contenders then I think Soler will take it.

Contador will attack again but he'll attack quite early on the final climb this time i think, though he'll probably have to wait for Boogerd to blow his fuse again on the first kms. In any case it will be a really interesting stage. I also hope Evans will pull of a good stage after the rest day, the TT will be really interesting if he manages to stay within 5 minutes of the chick on the GC.

cheapie said:
i often wonder if those who call what evans and LL are doing "wheelsucking" have ever ridden in a group before. :mad:

if you can't accelerate and pull away and must hang onto the back....IT'S NOT WHEELSUCKING! wheelsucking is making someone else do the work while you chill and then take advantage of their efforts at the end.

did i miss LL sprinting to victory after being pulled up the mountain? am i the only one that saw him get repeatedly dropped only to slowly claw his way back into the leading group? sheesh.

cheapie, yes, I've ridden in groups, and I agree that wheelsucking isn't the correct term in LL's case. It just isn't very exciting watching him hang for dear life.

IH8LANCE said:
So far, that boring strategy has been effective enough to get him to within one spot of the podium.

Somewhat my point, who will remember he was 3rd?

cheapie said:

There is farking picture of Cadel Evans in the dictionary............ur......well, pretty soon there will be one on Wickipidia, under the word "wheelsucking." Yes, I have ridden in groups, and when someone lets a gap open up, then looks back for those behind to close the gap, then that same person sprints to the finish....that my friend is wheelsucking extrodinare.

thoughtforfood said:
There is farking picture of Cadel Evans in the dictionary............ur......well, pretty soon there will be one on Wickapidia, under the word "wheelsucking."

We will go to any lengths to convince ourselves of anything if we really want to, good case in point.