Stage 18 TDF : Albi - Mende: Spoiler

peterlip said:
Yes Lim, I got that. It's just that I have heard of how on the outer Vino has been within T-Mobile, so I thought JU's comments was a pleasant change.

Is there a link where I could read what JU said about Vino ?
I'd be interested in reading it.

Thanks

peterlip said:
He's got a diary on the T-Mobile site. have alook at:

http://www.t-mobile-team.com/cms/tmoteam/en/tourdefrance/templateId=renderInternalPage/yearID=2005/monthID=6/eventID=59638/stageID=59312/factID=66010/id=61018.html

In other news, Lim, do you get live coverage of Le Tour in Ireland?

Thanks.

We do : we're fortunate we have two TV stations giving live coverage of the TDF : Eurosport and TG4.

I presume that you know that you can listen to the live Eurosport commentary on audio (same commentary that we get with TV images) ?

http://www.eurosport.com/tourdefrance2005/

wolfix said:
4 kms to go ...... Merckx looks great !!!!!! I can't think of a better rider to win !!!!!!

Great stage : superb.

Serrano got a great win : good work by Merckx with Vasseur wheelsucking.

Ullrich managed to regain 36secs on Rasmussen too.
And Cadel Evans managed to peg time on Landis and Vino too.

Great finish.

that was some last climb too - 11%

Other than Serrano, Jan has to be the most satisfied of the bunch today. That 36 seconds he gained on Rasmussen may be just what it takes to set him up to overtake the Chicken on the ITT for the last podium spot.

rejobako said:
Other than Serrano, Jan has to be the most satisfied of the bunch today. That 36 seconds he gained on Rasmussen may be just what it takes to set him up to overtake the Chicken on the ITT for the last podium spot.

I know he was hoping for more but I think you are right. Discounting crashes and having a bad day I believe he can take 3rd.

limerickman said:
We do : we're fortunate we have two TV stations giving live coverage of the TDF : Eurosport and TG4.
Hey Limerickman, do you have to pay extra for Eurosport? I have the basic NTL cable, which used to give you Eurosport as well, but I can't see it these days. Fair play to TG4 for putting it on, but my Irish ain't the best...

I was expecting Rasmussen to take time of Ullrich on that climb, its steepness favoring Rasmussens feather weight size. But good on Ullrich for keeping with Basso and Armstrong, same to Cadel Evans. I think Ullrich will definately overtake Rasmussen in the time trial and take the third place he really wants.

Eldrack said:
I was expecting Rasmussen to take time of Ullrich on that climb, its steepness favoring Rasmussens feather weight size. But good on Ullrich for keeping with Basso and Armstrong, same to Cadel Evans. I think Ullrich will definately overtake Rasmussen in the time trial and take the third place he really wants.
A question to the experts out there. It's a given that JU will pass MR on the time trial (or will he?)
However, how good a ITT performer is Basso? Does JU have a chance to make up 3:12 on him? Jan definetly seems to be riding better now than he did in the early stages while recovering from various accidents.

Yeah me too.....but it turned the other way around! It will be very close and Ullrich might take Rasmussen over in the TT........Rasmussen is clearly at the end of his reserves........

For the rest good attack by basso...........but what can you do to such dominance! Will LA finally win a stage in his last TT? Can't imagine him winning NO stage in this years tour.............

Eldrack said:

In the giro you saw basso improved, however it was a weaker field! Still the highest Ullrich can go is 3th....

peterlip said:
A question to the experts out there. It's a given that JU will pass MR on the time trial (or will he?)
However, how good a ITT performer is Basso? Does JU have a chance to make up 3:12 on him? Jan definetly seems to be riding better now than he did in the early stages while recovering from various accidents.

MJtje said:
In the giro you saw basso improved, however it was a weaker field! Still the highest Ullrich can go is 3th....

I would agree excluding falls and illness. Basso is a climber but he can TT to a degree.

Last Year in the Last Time Trial Jan finished 5 minutes ahead of Rasmussen, so I htink the odds are pretty good Ullrich will make up the necessary time, unless Rasmussen rides the TT of his life.
Just For Info
Basso was around a 1'50" behind Jan, so Basso looks pretty locked into 2nd.

Seven Stars said:
Hey Limerickman, do you have to pay extra for Eurosport? I have the basic NTL cable, which used to give you Eurosport as well, but I can't see it these days. Fair play to TG4 for putting it on, but my Irish ain't the best...

I've a cupla focail : but our service provider is Chorus and International ES is free.

(I know when I go home to Dublin, my folks have NTL and you can't get the cycling).

limerickman said:
I've a cupla focail : but our service provider is Chorus and International ES is free.

(I know when I go home to Dublin, my folks have NTL and you can't get the cycling).

Lim should we just skip talking about stage 19 and go straight to the TT. Except for a breakaway I don't see any exciting developments in 19. No GC shake-ups.
Armstrong going for a stage win? I think he will try for the Time Trial.

I think its over the top but Riis is saying Basso is better than Armstrong on the climbs......

Riis had just received new evidence to back up his thesis on the Côte de la Croix-Neuve, where Basso forced Armstrong onto the defensive on today’s 18 stage of the Tour between Albi and Mende. On the 3.1km, 10.1% ramp which provided Thursday’s grandstand finish, only Armstrong, Cadel Evans and Jan Ullrich could follow Basso on slopes which on paper looked too steep to suit the Italian’s slow- burning attacks. Basso didn’t drop Armstrong but he did convince Riis and many neutral observers that Armstrong may be retiring just as the balance of power is shifting in Basso’s favour, at least when the road tilts uphill.

“Armstrong had to ride on the defensive,” Riis told journalists at the Aérodrome de Mende this evening, a few hundred metres from where Basso had cruised home in 14th position. “We had planned to try something this morning. Ivan executed the plan to the letter. He may not have dropped Lance but I think that he is the strongest man on the hills now. Once, he might have hesitated to attack on that finale, but not now. When you feel as strong as Ivan does at the moment, confidence comes naturally.

“He may not dropping Armstrong, but now he knows that he can hurt him,” Riis concluded.

A few metres away, team CSC motivational guru BS Christensen could scarcely conceal his delight at Basso’s positive performance. “He has no Armstrong complex anymore. He doesn’t even look at him anymore. He looks straight ahead and goes…”

Basso’s new-found focus was evident when, asked whether he had been surprised to see Cadel Evans keep pace with him, Armstrong and Ullrich on the Croix-Neuve, he replied deadpan: “I didn’t even notice him.”

“I wanted to try something today because it was my last chance – the last summit finish. I’m not taking my second place for granted,” Basso, still one minute clear of third-placed Michael Rasmussen on GC, continued. “The Tour’s not over until the Champs Elysées on Sunday. Before that there’s a very important time trial in Saint Etienne on Saturday. Did I feel stronger than Lance on the climb? I don’t think that the answer to that question really matters…”

He may be on his way to becoming a better climber than LA, but Basso still has some work to do if he is to become a better quote merchant.

MJtje said:
Yeah me too.....but it turned the other way around! It will be very close and Ullrich might take Rasmussen over in the TT........Rasmussen is clearly at the end of his reserves........

For the rest good attack by basso...........but what can you do to such dominance! Will LA finally win a stage in his last TT? Can't imagine him winning NO stage in this years tour.............