Still nothing for cyclists.

Knight Of The Road ("Knight Of The Road" <[email protected]>)
gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

>> This anti-cyclist discrimination seems to be based on the assumption
>> that if you can cycle you can walk, which is not necessarily true.

> I have never known a cyclist who cannot walk. I have no doubt that the
> overwhelming majority of people have never known a cyclist who cannot
> walk.

Given that cycling requires a greater degree of coordination, motor
skills and balance than walking, I find it very difficult to believe that
it's possible to be completely unable to walk yet able to cycle.

I'm sure it is possible to be able to use a bicycle to some degree, but
not be able to walk far unaided - but I fail to see how such a cyclist
would be able to cycle far either.

I'm thinking specifically of BICYCLES here, not tricycles or hand-crank
propelled wheelchairs.

OTOH, I know plenty of people for whom cycling would be physically
impossible, yet who can walk relatively easily.

> With your interest in cycling, I have no doubt that you may know of a
> cyclist who cannot walk, maybe even two or three, but enormous amounts
> of tax money cannot possibly be allocated to such a tiny number of
> people.

I'd be quite happy to be proved wrong, but even in the event that there
are such people, it can only be a VERY small number.

Walking sticks or a frame would be far more appropriate to somebody who
requires balancing aids whilst walking than a bicycle, too.

Doug wrote:

> What is it about 'disabled or elderly' you do not understand?

What is it about just being 65 that makes you need to park closer?

"Brian Whitehead" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On 10 Mar, 07:42, Doug <[email protected]> wrote:
>> What about disabled or elderly cyclists? Instead cyclists are
>> castigated by a car centric society and told to dismount and walk at
>> every opportunity and are not allowed where wheelchairs can go, such
>> as railway platforms and pavements.
>>
>> "Bays for the elderly launched
>> By Manisha Mistry

> Only Dung could turn a positive story such as this into a negative.

I'm guessing it's because someone is getting something he can't have.
Hillingdon being in West London might as well be a million miles away from
the 3rd world country slum Doug calls home.

On 10 Mar, 10:59, "Gizmo." <[email protected]> wrote:
> "Brian Whitehead" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>
> news:[email protected]...
>
> > On 10 Mar, 07:42, Doug <[email protected]> wrote:
> >> What about disabled or elderly cyclists? Instead cyclists are
> >> castigated by a car centric society and told to dismount and walk at
> >> every opportunity and are not allowed where wheelchairs can go, such
> >> as railway platforms and pavements.

> >> "Bays for the elderly launched
> >> By Manisha Mistry

> > Only Dung could turn a positive story such as this into a negative.

> I'm guessing it's because someone is getting something he can't have.
> Hillingdon being in West London might as well be a million miles away from
> the 3rd world country slum Doug calls home.

I'm guessing it's because he's a bitter, senile retard, but I could be
wrong.

In article <4e0a7451-d966-4133-94c9-1281e6d14924@
13g2000hsb.googlegroups.com>, Doug says...

> The point you and others seem to be missing is that every help is
> offered to disadvantaged motorists but not to disadvantaged cyclists.

I must be imagining losing an entire lane on a dual carriageway just so
that a cycle lane can be created which seldom gets used.

I must be imagining the FREE cycle parking there is in city centres.

--
Conor

looking good either. - Scott Adams

In article <c6f9ea53-2547-49f0-b277-87fe69c17b13
@e60g2000hsh.googlegroups.com>, Doug says...

> Duh! I have already covered that. They should be allowed to go where
> wheelchair users are allowed to go.

They are.

--

Adrian wrote:
> Given that cycling requires a greater degree of coordination, motor
> skills and balance than walking, I find it very difficult to believe that
> it's possible to be completely unable to walk yet able to cycle.

I can easily believe that some hip problems make walking very painful
but don't affect the ability to cycle because the range of motion is
smaller and there is very little use of the hip flexors.

Presently I have an adductor strain which makes it painful to walk more
than about three miles, but cycling 100 miles is easy.

> I'd be quite happy to be proved wrong, but even in the event that there
> are such people, it can only be a VERY small number.

I expect this is true, but hey, we're on usenet

-dan

dan ([email protected]) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

>> Given that cycling requires a greater degree of coordination, motor
>> skills and balance than walking, I find it very difficult to believe
>> that it's possible to be completely unable to walk yet able to cycle.

> I can easily believe that some hip problems make walking very painful
> but don't affect the ability to cycle because the range of motion is
> smaller and there is very little use of the hip flexors.
>
> Presently I have an adductor strain which makes it painful to walk more
> than about three miles, but cycling 100 miles is easy.

Mmm. Yes, I can see that - I'd guess that there's a benefit in your
weight not being taken by the leg, too.

Would I be correct in surmising that that's a short term injury, rather
than a chronic condition, in your case?

>> I'd be quite happy to be proved wrong, but even in the event that there
>> are such people, it can only be a VERY small number.

> I expect this is true, but hey, we're on usenet

<g>

Adrian wrote:
> Mmm. Yes, I can see that - I'd guess that there's a benefit in your
> weight not being taken by the leg, too.
>
> Would I be correct in surmising that that's a short term injury, rather
> than a chronic condition, in your case?

I certainly hope so, yes

-dan

Doug <[email protected]> waffled:

> Why do you think that is if it is not that we live in a car dominated
> society?

I don't think we do live in car dominated society. You might, but then
that's your choice by living in a city, by a road.

> Local councils try to pretend they are encouraging cycling, for
> obvious reasons, but do little to back their claims with practical
> help

Our council does way more for cyclists and walkers than they do for cars.
There are numerous footpaths and bridleways/cycleways that are maintained,
whilst many by-ways have been closed to motorised traffic other than when
necessary to maintain the ways for walkers and cyclists. If you ever get
out into the country you'd see that.

> and the same goes for companies.

Why should companies do anything for cyclists?

Why do you always want, want, want?
Why do you always think that when one facet of society gets something that
that means it's somehow detrimental to what you want?

I'd also be interested to know how much, of what, and how often you give
anything back to the country/council/society that supports you?

--
Dogpoop

Stand by me.
http://www.glass-uk.org/

Doug <[email protected]> waffled:

> Why do you think that is if it is not that we live in a car dominated
> society?

I don't think we do live in car dominated society. You might, but then
that's your choice by living in a city, by a road.

> Local councils try to pretend they are encouraging cycling, for
> obvious reasons, but do little to back their claims with practical
> help

Our council does way more for cyclists and walkers than they do for cars.
There are numerous footpaths and bridleways/cycleways that are maintained,
whilst many by-ways have been closed to motorised traffic other than when
necessary to maintain the ways for walkers and cyclists. If you ever get
out into the country you'd see that.

> and the same goes for companies.

Why should companies do anything for cyclists?

Why do you always want, want, want?
Why do you always think that when one facet of society gets something that
that means it's somehow detrimental to what you want?

I'd also be interested to know how much, of what, and how often you give
anything back to the country/council/society that supports you?

--
Dogpoop

Stand by me.
http://www.glass-uk.org/

"Adrian" <[email protected]> wrote

> I'd be quite happy to be proved wrong, but even in the event that there
> are such people, it can only be a VERY small number.

In fact, I'm going to replace my previous reply to Doug- "I have no doubt
that you may know of a
cyclist who cannot walk" with "I do not believe you know of a single
wheelchair user in the entire land who is also a regular cyclist and I think
your earlier statement was a crock of ****".

Hope this clarifies matters.

--
Regards, Vince.

Snowdonia trucking POV- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t_qusgJlk3M

Knight Of The Road wrote:
> "Adrian" <[email protected]> wrote
>
> > I'd be quite happy to be proved wrong, but even in the event that there
>> are such people, it can only be a VERY small number.

> In fact, I'm going to replace my previous reply to Doug- "I have no doubt
> that you may know of a
> cyclist who cannot walk" with "I do not believe you know of a single
> wheelchair user in the entire land who is also a regular cyclist and I think
> your earlier statement was a crock of ****".
>
> Hope this clarifies matters.

There must be some:

http://www.alibaba.com/catalog/11608136/Invacare_Top_End_Excelerator_Xlt_Hand_Pedaled_Bike.html

although a user might pedantically be a tricyclist rather than a cyclist

On 10 Mar, 15:44, [email protected] wrote:
> Adrian wrote:
> > Given that cycling requires a greater degree of coordination, motor
> > skills and balance than walking, I find it very difficult to believe that
> > it's possible to be completely unable to walk yet able to cycle.

> I can easily believe that some hip problems make walking very painful
> but don't affect the ability to cycle because the range of motion is
> smaller and there is very little use of the hip flexors.
>
> Presently I have an adductor strain which makes it painful to walk more
> than about three miles, but cycling 100 miles is easy.
>
> > I'd be quite happy to be proved wrong, but even in the event that there
> > are such people, it can only be a VERY small number.

> I expect this is true, but hey, we're on usenet

Drain seems to think that when they are below a certain number people
do not deserve help. I wonder what his arbitrary threshold is, 10,
100, 1000? Obviously we are back with his mob rule, beloved of
motorists, where minorities are treated with total contempt, which
incidentally seems to include virtually all cyclists on uk.transport
NG.

--
World Carfree Network
http://www.worldcarfree.net/

Doug wrote:
> On 10 Mar, 15:44, [email protected] wrote:
>> Adrian wrote:
>>> Given that cycling requires a greater degree of coordination, motor
>>> skills and balance than walking, I find it very difficult to believe that
>>> it's possible to be completely unable to walk yet able to cycle.

>> I can easily believe that some hip problems make walking very painful
>> but don't affect the ability to cycle because the range of motion is
>> smaller and there is very little use of the hip flexors.
>>
>> Presently I have an adductor strain which makes it painful to walk more
>> than about three miles, but cycling 100 miles is easy.
>>
>>> I'd be quite happy to be proved wrong, but even in the event that there
>>> are such people, it can only be a VERY small number.

>> I expect this is true, but hey, we're on usenet
>>

> Drain seems to think that when they are below a certain number people
> do not deserve help. I wonder what his arbitrary threshold is, 10,
> 100, 1000? Obviously we are back with his mob rule, beloved of
> motorists, where minorities are treated with total contempt, which
> incidentally seems to include virtually all cyclists on uk.transport
> NG.
>
> --
> World Carfree Network
> http://www.worldcarfree.net/
> Help for your car-addicted friends in the U.K.

NEWSFLASH, NEWSFLASH
Once again Doug reads what he wants to read
Once again Doug changes his stance
Once again Doug does not listen
Once again Doug generalizes
NEWSFLASH ends

--
Tony the Dragon

Blah (Blah <[email protected]>) gurgled happily, sounding much like they
were saying:

>> In fact, I'm going to replace my previous reply to Doug- "I have no
>> doubt that you may know of a
>> cyclist who cannot walk" with "I do not believe you know of a single
>> wheelchair user in the entire land who is also a regular cyclist and I
>> think your earlier statement was a crock of ****".
>>
>> Hope this clarifies matters.

> There must be some:
>
> http://www.alibaba.com/catalog/11608136/

Invacare_Top_End_Excelerator_Xlt_Hand_Pedaled_Bike.html

> although a user might pedantically be a tricyclist rather than a cyclist

Yes, that is indeed a tricycle and a hand-cranked wheelchair, both of
which I specifically mentioned and excluded on the basis that they're not
bicycles.

Adrian wrote:
> Knight Of The Road ("Knight Of The Road" <[email protected]>)
> gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:
>
>>> This anti-cyclist discrimination seems to be based on the assumption
>>> that if you can cycle you can walk, which is not necessarily true.

>> I have never known a cyclist who cannot walk. I have no doubt that the
>> overwhelming majority of people have never known a cyclist who cannot
>> walk.

> Given that cycling requires a greater degree of coordination, motor
> skills and balance than walking, I find it very difficult to believe that
> it's possible to be completely unable to walk yet able to cycle.
>
> I'm sure it is possible to be able to use a bicycle to some degree, but
> not be able to walk far unaided - but I fail to see how such a cyclist
> would be able to cycle far either.

I once participated in a 180 km bike ride. One of the participants had a
wooden leg. It took me a minute to realise that only one pedal was
going around and then I asked him if he had a bike problem. No, just
one wooden leg.

I don't know how far the cyclist could walk unaided but I suspect his
walking distances were fairly restricted.. Cycling supports the body
weight.
--
John Kane, Kingston ON Canada

On 10 Mar, 10:24, Dan Gregory
<[email protected]> wrote:
> Doug wrote:
> > What is it about 'disabled or elderly' you do not understand?

> What is it about just being 65 that makes you need to park closer?

Two words:-

blad der

Squashme wrote:
> On 10 Mar, 10:24, Dan Gregory
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>> Doug wrote:
>>> What is it about 'disabled or elderly' you do not understand?

>> What is it about just being 65 that makes you need to park closer?

> Two words:-
>
> blad der

Ah, "men of a certain age"!

;-)