Stories about drivers

tingle_wayne

Nov 17, 2005
Drivers are idiots. It's hard enough to clip in and out, so when I stop to let a car pass I find it assinine when they wave me on. I've got to point now that I'll start screwing with my bike or drinking water or eating my powerbar just so they'll go.

Am I alone?

tingle_wayne said:
Drivers are idiots. It's hard enough to clip in and out, so when I stop to let a car pass I find it assinine when they wave me on. I've got to point now that I'll start screwing with my bike or drinking water or eating my powerbar just so they'll go.

Am I alone?
Seems you are. Some drivers are idiots. Some cyclists are idiots. There are idiots in all walks of life.

It is not hard to clip in or out - you must be doing it incorrectly or be quite inexperienced.

I would much prefer a cyclist who is trying to be helpful than one who is throwing stuff at you, or worse, simply does not see you or care enough to notice you. Try to be nice to the ones who are trying to helpful, even if it offends your sensitive nature.

tingle_wayne said:

Am I alone?
Yes - be nice to the motorists who are trying to do the correct thing by you. They are a whole lot better than the ones who do not see you.

Balderick said:
It is not hard to clip in or out - you must be doing it incorrectly or be quite inexperienced.
Your right. I am new and inexperienced. The situation i'm specifically refering to was at a stop sign. He pulled up to it first so i unclipped and stopped. Then he waved me on, so I waved him on. We just sat there waving each other on.

That being said, I definately prefer that guy to the jackass who wants to see how close he can get to you without hitting you.

No - I let cars go first (sometimes). Some idiots will stop, then go even when you have the right of way, so I just play it safe. If a driver waves me on when they clearly have the right of way, I look directly at them and shake my head "no" It's better than them suddenly deciding to go and cut you off or hit you. (Most) drivers suck

BimmsAndBices said:
No - I let cars go first (sometimes). Some idiots will stop, then go even when you have the right of way, so I just play it safe. If a driver waves me on when they clearly have the right of way, I look directly at them and shake my head "no" It's better than them suddenly deciding to go and cut you off or hit you. (Most) drivers suck
In my area, most cars will wave me as I am approaching the intersection so to let me go without stopping.

I love them very much.

tingle_wayne said:
Your right. I am new and inexperienced. The situation i'm specifically refering to was at a stop sign. He pulled up to it first so i unclipped and stopped. Then he waved me on, so I waved him on. We just sat there waving each other on.
Are you riding clipless pedals? If so, this will cease to be a problem shortly as you get used to them. If not, I'd suggest changing.

tingle_wayne said:
That being said, I definately prefer that guy to the jackass who wants to see how close he can get to you without hitting you.
Hey, you can use these guys to save you unclipping. Simply lean on their car. (Oh, unless they're moving, in which case, DO NOT lean on their car :D).

Here in California ( and I suspect most other US states ), when you're riding your bike on the road you are piloting a vehicle and you are required to live by the vehicle code. So when I come to a stop sign on my bike I'm required to stop just as if I were driving my car.

It's our responsibility to develop the skills to handle our bikes. If you find stopping at stop signs is a problem then you need to polish your bike handling skills.

gpriatko said:
It's our responsibility to develop the skills to handle our bikes. If you find stopping at stop signs is a problem then you need to polish your bike handling skills.
Hoo Haaa!!!

I see it both ways; as a cyclist, blind car drivers are infuriating but in a car, you soon realise that bits of bodywork: windscreen pillars, mirrors and so on can easily obscure a small target such as a bicycle. Try it. Next time you're out in a car and at a junction, watch how long a cyclist disappears for between parts of your bodywork.

Drivers should be aware of this restricted visability and cyclists should be aware of all the ignorant drives out there. I swear there's a lot of cyclists out there spoiling for a fight. Personally, I give cars at junctions a wide berth and try and expect the unexpected.

A mate told me that a driver said to him, "what the hell right have you to ride to the front of the queue at lights? :mad: "
He said that if he'd wanted to be stuck in traffic all day, he would have taken the car!

Can't argue with logic like that :)