Strap on the back bike carriers for car - any good? secure?

b1_

Mar 28, 2004
I'm travelling interstate and wondering whether these strap on bike carrier things are secure and safe. I don't have a bullbar on my car so my only option is to buy one of these things. If you've ever owned one what's been your experience? Have they ever failed at high speed perhaps?

Cheers

Originally posted by b1_
I'm travelling interstate and wondering whether these strap on bike carrier things are secure and safe. I don't have a bullbar on my car so my only option is to buy one of these things. If you've ever owned one what's been your experience? Have they ever failed at high speed perhaps?

Cheers

I have a Saris Bones and it works really well. It is quick and easy to put on and very secure with both my mountain and road bike. I havent taken it on super long trips yet, but mostly 45-75 mile trips on major 4 lane highways. I think the most important thing is that you pull all of the straps taut and as straight as possible.

Originally posted by b1_

Cheers

Yakima and Thule units are quite reliable.
Check the reference information for fitting information.
Theft is an issue, so remove rack and bicycles when parking.

I find they damage your car. The little clips attach to the sheet metal body work (ie: the trunk lid) and once you get the straps tight enough they seem to put enough pressure on the body work to put it out of shape.

Best bet is to have your car fit for a roof mount system (yakima or thule). They can pretty much fit anything in a safe secure manner. It's a little more expensive, but cheaper that fixing body work.

Originally posted by b1_

Cheers

What's a bull bar?

Originally posted by KingB
I find they damage your car. The little clips attach to the sheet metal body work (ie: the trunk lid) and once you get the straps tight enough they seem to put enough pressure on the body work to put it out of shape.

Best bet is to have your car fit for a roof mount system (yakima or thule). They can pretty much fit anything in a safe secure manner. It's a little more expensive, but cheaper that fixing body work.

I second the call for a roof rack. Trunk racks risk scratching or damaging your car more than a roof rack. The bikes can bang against each other, pedals go into spokes, and front wheels flap around. If it's your only option, be sure to put ample padding between the bikes and car where necessary, secure the wheels with old inner tubes between the spokes, and put towels or other soft material around the top tubes where the bikes are clamped.

Originally posted by b1_

Cheers

I've been using one for a few years now and really like it. I've normally travel between 60 and 100km's and mostly on roads with a speed limit of 110kph. I have a Rodes rack (can't remember the actual model) but it holds three bikes.

I would be fully loaded (with <30kgs of road bikes) and drive these distances at those speeds without a hassle. When driving over particulary rough roads there is a tendancy for the rack to shake a little, but the bikes are very secure in the rack itself. After having used it a few times I'm feel completely confident that the rack and the bikes will stay where they are, but it did take a little getting use to.

As for damage to the car itself, I guess that the only damage I've been able to find is on the paint work where the hooks attach. This was probably because I was too cautious the first few times I used it and didn't tighten the straps enough, leaving just enough play for some rubbing to occur. Since then I've been much more aggressive about keeping the straps tight and the paint scuffing hasn't gotten worse. If I was particulary concerned I could use extra padding at the hooks.... but what the hey...

In my opinion if you want a bike rack that is not fixed to a single car then strap-on racks are the most stable solution around. My other criteria was that the rack not damage my bike and talking to others they suggested that the tow bar racks could cause damage.

Great info, thx. My car is 15 years old so I'm not overly concerned about paint scratching etc. If it warps the rear door well that's another story. I only have one bike so no spokes will be damaged, and I'll strap the front wheel to the frame. I'm not sure my car can be fitted with a roof rack but I will look into it.

The strap on rack is good for me because I don't have any time to wait for fitting of parts - with the strap on carrier I can just go buy it, fit it and go.

P.S Bull bar = tow bar for the person who asked. Don't ask me why.

Originally posted by b1_
Great info, thx. My car is 15 years old so I'm not overly concerned about paint scratching etc. If it warps the rear door well that's another story. I only have one bike so no spokes will be damaged, and I'll strap the front wheel to the frame. I'm not sure my car can be fitted with a roof rack but I will look into it.

The strap on rack is good for me because I don't have any time to wait for fitting of parts - with the strap on carrier I can just go buy it, fit it and go.

P.S Bull bar = tow bar for the person who asked. Don't ask me why.

for roof rack fitting info see Rola website

http://www.rola.com.au/

or from Rhino Racks see

http://www.rhinorack.com.au/choose.asp

also Roof Rack City cater for most brands eg Thule, Rola, Rhino etc

http://www.roofrackcity.com.au

As for Bull Bars they are protection bars fitted to the front of the car to help protect the car from serious damage if you hit a bull/cow/kangaroo or other large animal on the open road.

Mike

As for Bull Bars they are protection bars fitted to the front of the car to help protect the car from serious damage if you hit a bull/cow/kangaroo or other large animal on the open road.

Absolutely right; complete brain fade on my part. Bull bar on front to plow thru wildlife, tow bar on rear to tow stuff - funny that :rolleyes:.

I went and bought an Alaga Rear Bike Carrier. I'm driving from Adelaide to Brisbane in a few days - the perfect test. I will let you know whether the thing performs optimally.