Stupid Move=Bike Damage

Robbizzle

Mar 23, 2004
So I got a new bike the other day and as I was screwing in the bolt to attach the water bottle the bolt began to thread in slightly wrong. I went to back it out and ended up pulling out the rivet from the frame. Before anyone calls me a dumbass I realize it was a stupid mistake. But my question is has anyone ever had this happen before or seen it happen. I took it to the LBS and they said they can probably fix it with a rivet gun but I'm worried they can't. What do you guys think?

Originally posted by Robbizzle
So I got a new bike the other day and as I was screwing in the bolt to attach the water bottle the bolt began to thread in slightly wrong. I went to back it out and ended up pulling out the rivet from the frame. Before anyone calls me a dumbass I realize it was a stupid mistake. But my question is has anyone ever had this happen before or seen it happen. I took it to the LBS and they said they can probably fix it with a rivet gun but I'm worried they can't. What do you guys think?
It's called a rivnut.The fix is easy enough if the 'mechanic' isn't a total hack. Maye you should check with another LBs that sounds more confident and competent.

Originally posted by boudreaux
It's called a rivnut.The fix is easy enough if the 'mechanic' isn't a total hack. Maye you should check with another LBs that sounds more confident and competent.

thanks for the advice and comment