Suggested Race Radios

fergie

Apr 10, 2004
Am about to start experimenting with race radios with the riders I coach and the Team I manage. What types of radios are people using to communicate with riders in the bunch?

Are the riders using two way radios or is it just one way from the coach? If it is this or two way, is the coach using a different unit than the riders?

Many thanks for your help

Hamish Ferguson
Cycling Coach

Hamish, I have done a little investigation into this as well and I'm looking forward to any input you get. From what little work I have done, the radios themselves don't seem to be a problem. There are many that are small, light, digital frequency selection, multiple frequencies and sufficient range (e.g., check the Motorola product line). You can go UHF or VHF. The earpieces, microphones and mic buttons seem to be the larger problem. I am planning to rent some equipment and experiment with several options on a team time trial ride I am putting together, to see how they work with the anticipated wind and road noise. There are voice activated mics, but I wonder if the road noise will trip it open inadvertently. Or just huffing and puffing. So, I'm leaning toward a mic button, but the question is where to put it (on a cyclist or bike). You can probably find somebody there who rents this equipment (they're heavily used in the construction trades) and experiment some before you make a final decision. But, most of the rental options won't have the special earpieces and mics that I'm talking about. You may have to buy them.

What most pro and amateur teams have been using for the last few years are small radios on the small of their backs (either in a jersey pocket, or better yet in a pocket of your bibs/skinsuit to be held closer to the body). Single earpiece with inline PTT (push to talk) mic. Have tape (medical tape works well) handy to keep the earpiece in.

Riders can usually hear OK this way, but it's critical to speak slowly and clearly. You want to be clear on who is talking when, and why. The protocol is normally silence, director (in car) and team captain can speak when needed, other riders only speak when spoken to, or to provide critical information (crash, road hazard, etc).

Voice activated stuff doesn't usually work well. Either opens mics when it shouldn't, or you miss the first word. Besides, you don't want to hear everything a rider says.

I worked with a pro team at a stage race in May and they had some really nice, small, lightweight radios (about 1/4 the size/weight of a small Motorola talkabout), very thin. Didn't get a brand though, and not sure if they're commercially available or what they cost. Still the same earpiece & inline PTT mics.

fergie said:
Am about to start experimenting with race radios with the riders I coach and the Team I manage. What types of radios are people using to communicate with riders in the bunch?

Are the riders using two way radios or is it just one way from the coach? If it is this or two way, is the coach using a different unit than the riders?

Many thanks for your help

Hamish Ferguson
Cycling Coach

Whats the rules on them Fergie? ie what races can you use them for ect?