Suggested reading?

tdl123321

Mar 26, 2006
Anyone have a godd basic book that they could reccomend for a cycling newbie. Something that addresses heart rate zones, interval training, and the many abbreviations I see here on the board. I'm 30 and have been cycling(or any aerobic activity for a few months now) but I definetly have the bug. WHile I know I'm not going to become a racer I would like to be able to train in the most efficent manner. Not too mention it would be more fun if I wasn't dropped so frequently at the local rides. Thanks for the help!

tdl123321 said:
Anyone have a godd basic book that they could reccomend for a cycling newbie. Something that addresses heart rate zones, interval training, and the many abbreviations I see here on the board. I'm 30 and have been cycling(or any aerobic activity for a few months now) but I definetly have the bug. WHile I know I'm not going to become a racer I would like to be able to train in the most efficent manner. Not too mention it would be more fun if I wasn't dropped so frequently at the local rides. Thanks for the help!
Allan Hunter & Andy Coggan: Training and Racing with Power Meter.

If you don't have a power meter, skip the above and buy Friel's Training Bible.

Allan and Andy's most excellent book is not for the beginner. Friels book may be a wee bit advanced. Your local bookstore will have some good books. Look for something that tells you about bike set up, what clothing to wear, what to take with you on rides (tools, food, mobile phone, water etc), how to ride a bike on hills, descents and in traffic. Once you have learned these and other basics try and find some local group rides. Bike riding is easier to learn and far more fun with others.

Good luck

Hamish Ferguson
Cycling Coach

I have three...

Bike Racing 101 (forget the author(s) Wenzel?) It's... okay, but I wasn't overly impressed with it for whatever reason. I does have the "basics" as one poster mentioned.

Serious Cycling - Edmund Burke

I liked it better than the first one, but it certainly has a Lance slant to it. It does give better information about some of the physiology involved, how to train specific attributes, etc.

Friel's Training Bible

Far more useful in my opinion, whether you're going to race or not. I found it a very interesting read, and use it as a reference still. It probably is on the advanced side of things, but it (in my opinion) is more useful as a technical reference manual...which suits me fine.

In all fairness however, I've probably learned almost as much from searching the net, this site, etc. as any of the above gives you. Certainly the information is out here.. I just personally like having some pages to turn.

I haven't read "Training with Power".. what thoughts do some of you have on it?

Mansmind said:
I have three...
I haven't read "Training with Power".. what thoughts do some of you have on it?

In 22 years of cycling the ONLY decent book on training. Many good books on cycling and some good ones on how to race. TWP is the only one that can be used to plan training for anyone (with a powermeter although there is enough good info in there for those without).

Hamish Ferguson
Cycling Coach

fergie said:
In 22 years of cycling the ONLY decent book on training. Many good books on cycling and some good ones on how to race. TWP is the only one that can be used to plan training for anyone (with a powermeter although there is enough good info in there for those without).

Hamish Ferguson
Cycling Coach
Where's the best place to get a copy? I've actually looked for it at bookstores around here and haven't seen it. I'm sure I can find it on the net easy enough, but any suggestions?

I'm in New Zealand and we can get it here pretty easily. Your local book store should be able to get it in for you.

Hamish Ferguson
Cycling Coach

I bounce back and forth between Friel's Bible and Chris Carmichael's "Perfect Ride". The Bible takes a little bit more reading and studying, where Chris's is easier to come up with a training plan.