Suggestion to resolve advance-stop line problem

"David Hansen" <[email protected]> wrote...

> "Just zis Guy, you know?" <[email protected]> wrote:

> >>Of course in such circumstances cyclists should abide by Highway Code Rule 145 and pull over to
> >>allow following vehicles to pass.

> >Which is exactly what I do, as soon as there's a prudent place to do so. Unfortunately some
> >drivers seem to think that Rule 145 becomes mandatory with immediate effect if the driver is a
> >Road Owner or the time elapsed exceeds fifteen seconds.

> PeterE neglected to mention all of Rule 145:

> "Do not hold up a long queue of traffic, especially if you are driving a large or slow moving
> vehicle. Check your mirrors frequently, and if necessary, pull in where it is safe and let
> traffic pass."

Exactly.

And completely incompatible with abominations such as so-called "advance stop lines" (which
thankfully, seem to be very rarely used, probably because most cyclits have more common sense than
the PC cretins who thought up this waste of road-space).

> The "if necessary" and "where it is safe" bits seem to be forgotten by the impatient.

It is *always* necessary. No road-user has the right to obstruct the road or to deliberately hold up
other road-users where such delay is unnecessary.

It is *always* safe.

All that is necessary is not to "advance" to a position where one will automatically create an
obstruction - which is, at least, something the vast majority of cyclists do not do (to the extent
that they stop at the red traffic light at all, of course).

---

"JNugent" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...

> It is *always* necessary. No road-user has the right to obstruct the road or to deliberately hold
> up other road-users where such delay is unnecessary.

If it's always necessary why the caveat? Clearly you don't believe what you wrote in the
previous sentance.

> It is *always* safe.

Nonsense. Blind corners, summits and narrowish roads with oncoming traffic are places where it is
*not* safe to pull over to allow traffic to pass. It is often only safe to pull over if you can
leave the main carriageway entirely, such as into an entrance of a driveway.

> All that is necessary is not to "advance" to a position where one will automatically create an
> obstruction - which is, at least, something the vast majority of cyclists do not do (to the extent
> that they stop at the red traffic light at all, of course).

The context of the subthread was a cyclist holding up a queue of traffic for a long distance, not
advance stop lines. It'd moved on from there.

"JNugent" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>... (some snippage)

> Exactly.
>
> And completely incompatible with abominations such as so-called "advance stop lines" (which
> thankfully, seem to be very rarely used, probably because most cyclits have more common sense than
> the PC cretins who thought up this waste of road-space).
>
> > The "if necessary" and "where it is safe" bits seem to be forgotten by the impatient.
>
> It is *always* necessary. No road-user has the right to obstruct the road or to deliberately hold
> up other road-users where such delay is unnecessary.

Cars can therefore be seen to be holding up other road users if cyclists are supposed to pull over
to let them pass constantly, from the cyclists point of view.

It is NOT always a black and white issue, despite what you appear to think, J. Nugent.

> It is *always* safe.

So stopping on a blind bend, stopping over the crest of a blind summit, stopping very close to a
junction - yes, they're all REALLY safe places to stop, aren't they - ALL the time.

Idiot.

> All that is necessary is not to "advance" to a position where one will automatically create an
> obstruction - which is, at least, something the vast majority of cyclists do not do (to the extent
> that they stop at the red traffic light at all, of course).

As far as I'm concerned, if an advance stop box allows me to safely negotiate a junction (for
example, if turning right, and the alternative is to attempt to filter in with cars wishing to go
straight on at the junction and avoid their impatient driving habits) then I will use a stop box
with absolute certainty that it is my right to do so. Stop boxes ALSO help prevent the 'sorry mate I
didn't see you' where they turn left THROUGH you at a junction, cos you're able to get across that
left turn (heading straight on) before they pull left.

Unfortunately that's cos motorists are somewhat unobservant, but if they persist in being so, then
things like stop boxes are a necessary evil that *should* be inflicted on them.

I speak as a cyclist AND a car driver (and do MANY more miles by car than cycle). I've seen some
appalling driving around cyclists. If car drivers can't learn to respect other users of the road and
co-operate with them, then they should put up and shut up when measures to make cyclists lives a
little safer and easier are implemented.

Velvet

"Simon Proven" <[email protected]> wrote...

> "JNugent" <[email protected]> wrote:

> > It is *always* necessary. No road-user has the right to obstruct the
road
> > or to deliberately hold up other road-users where such delay is unnecessary.

> If it's always necessary why the caveat? Clearly you don't believe what you wrote in the previous
> sentance.

You have missed the point. The context is that of these stupid ASLs, not traffic on the move on the
"open" road.

> > It is *always* safe.

> Nonsense. Blind corners, summits and narrowish roads with oncoming traffic are places where it is
> *not* safe to pull over to allow traffic to pass. It is often only safe to pull over if you can
> leave the main carriageway entirely, such as into an entrance of a driveway.

You have missed the point. The context is that of these stupid ASLs, not traffic on the move on the
"open" road.

> > All that is necessary is not to "advance" to a position where one will automatically create an
> > obstruction - which is, at least, something the vast majority of cyclists do not do (to the
> > extent that they stop at
the
> > red traffic light at all, of course).

> The context of the subthread was a cyclist holding up a queue of traffic for a long distance, not
> advance stop lines. It'd moved on from there.

Check the post to which I was responding. You have missed the point. The context is that of these
stupid ASLs, not traffic on the move on the "open" road.

---

"Velvet" <[email protected]> wrote...

> "JNugent" <[email protected]> wrote...

> (some snippage)

> > Exactly. And completely incompatible with abominations such as so-called
"advance
> > stop lines" (which thankfully, seem to be very rarely used, probably because most cyclits have
> > more common sense than the PC cretins who
thought
> > up this waste of road-space).

> > > The "if necessary" and "where it is safe" bits seem to be forgotten by the impatient.

> > It is *always* necessary. No road-user has the right to obstruct the
road
> > or to deliberately hold up other road-users where such delay is unnecessary.

> Cars can therefore be seen to be holding up other road users if cyclists are supposed to pull over
> to let them pass constantly, from the cyclists point of view.

That may mean something to you. The rest of us can only guess at what that may be.

> It is NOT always a black and white issue, despite what you appear to think, J. Nugent.

You have missed the point. The context is that of these stupid ASLs, not traffic on the move on the
"open" road.

Check the post to which I was responding, and re-read muy post in correct context.

> > It is *always* safe.

> So stopping on a blind bend, stopping over the crest of a blind summit, stopping very close to a
> junction - yes, they're all REALLY safe places to stop, aren't they - ALL the time.

You have missed the point. The context is that of these stupid ASLs, not traffic on the move on the
"open" road.

> Idiot.

I'd have thought that a better description of someone who has failed to grasp the context of my post
(which was made absolutely clear - the context is that of these stupid ASLs, not traffic on the move
on the "open" road).

> > All that is necessary is not to "advance" to a position where one will automatically create an
> > obstruction - which is, at least, something the vast majority of cyclists do not do (to the
> > extent that they stop at
the
> > red traffic light at all, of course).

> As far as I'm concerned, if an advance stop box allows me to safely negotiate a junction (for
> example, if turning right

No problem with that. A vehicle turning right *should* be in the right hand lane or on the crown of
the road where there is only one lane.

> and the alternative is to attempt to filter in with cars wishing to go straight on at the junction
> and avoid their impatient driving habits) then I will use a stop box with absolute certainty that
> it is my right to do so.

Subcject to your douing it correctly, I can see no problem with that. A vehicle turning right
*should* be in the right hand lane or on the crown of the road where there is only one lane.

> Stop boxes ALSO help prevent the 'sorry mate I didn't see you' where they turn left THROUGH you
> at a junction, cos you're able to get across that left turn (heading straight on) before they
> pull left.

Overtaking on the left is dangerous enough. Overtaking a vehicle which is indicating a left-turn
from a nearside lane (on the left) is foolish in the extreme, isn't it?

Not that it is directly connected with the issue at hand, which was ASLs.

---

> > Stop boxes ALSO help prevent the 'sorry mate I didn't see you' where they turn left THROUGH you
> > at a junction, cos you're able to get across that left turn (heading straight on) before they
> > pull left.
>
> Overtaking on the left is dangerous enough. Overtaking a vehicle which is indicating a left-turn
> from a nearside lane (on the left) is foolish in the extreme, isn't it?
>
> Not that it is directly connected with the issue at hand, which was ASLs.

This is the one issue which is *directly* connected with ASL/stop boxes. The cyclist is not
overtaking such a motor vehicle because the cyclist is ahead of such a motor vehicle and thus able
to proceed forwards ahead of the left turning vehicle. It would indeed be foolish to undertake such
a vehicle but that isn't what was being suggested here.

Colin

"JNugent" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> > Cars can therefore be seen to be holding up other road users if cyclists are supposed to pull
> > over to let them pass constantly, from the cyclists point of view.
>
> That may mean something to you. The rest of us can only guess at what that may be.
>
> > It is NOT always a black and white issue, despite what you appear to think, J. Nugent.

Let me translate. If it wasn't for all the bloody cars cluttering up the road I could cycle round
town in about 1/2 to 3/4 of the time I achieve now -- and now I am as fast if not faster on my bike
as in my car.

> You have missed the point. The context is that of these stupid ASLs, not traffic on the move on
> the "open" road.

ASL's are one of the few cycling facilities that experienced cyclists find to be of benefit. They
are of hardly any disbenefit to cars so what is your problem?

snip

> > Stop boxes ALSO help prevent the 'sorry mate I didn't see you' where they turn left THROUGH you
> > at a junction, cos you're able to get across that left turn (heading straight on) before they
> > pull left.
>
> Overtaking on the left is dangerous enough. Overtaking a vehicle which is indicating a left-turn
> from a nearside lane (on the left) is foolish in
the
> extreme, isn't it?

You presume they are indicating. Not always the case.

JNugent wrote:
> "Simon Proven" <[email protected]> wrote...
>

>>"JNugent" <[email protected]> wrote:
>

>>>It is *always* necessary. No road-user has the right to obstruct the
>
> road
>
>>>or to deliberately hold up other road-users where such delay is unnecessary.
>

>>If it's always necessary why the caveat? Clearly you don't believe what you wrote in the previous
>>sentance.
>

> You have missed the point. The context is that of these stupid ASLs, not traffic on the move on
> the "open" road.
>

>>>It is *always* safe.
>

>>Nonsense. Blind corners, summits and narrowish roads with oncoming traffic are places where it is
>>*not* safe to pull over to allow traffic to pass. It is often only safe to pull over if you can
>>leave the main carriageway entirely, such as into an entrance of a driveway.
>

> You have missed the point. The context is that of these stupid ASLs, not traffic on the move on
> the "open" road.
>

>>>All that is necessary is not to "advance" to a position where one will automatically create an
>>>obstruction - which is, at least, something the vast majority of cyclists do not do (to the
>>>extent that they stop at
>
> the
>
>>>red traffic light at all, of course).
>

>>The context of the subthread was a cyclist holding up a queue of traffic for a long distance, not
>>advance stop lines. It'd moved on from there.
>

> Check the post to which I was responding. You have missed the point. The context is that of these
> stupid ASLs, not traffic on the move on the "open" road.

I checked the post to which you were responding, and also the posts to which they had responded,
here's some context. I suggest it is you who don't know the context of the posting you're responding
to. The chain of articles leading to your posting diverged from discussing ASLs some time ago.

uk.transport:81637 uk.rec.cycling:110896 X-Received-Date: Sun, 03 Aug 2003 19:36:13 BST
(newsfep4-glfd.server.ntli.net)

On Sun, 03 Aug 2003 18:32:03 +0100 someone who may be "Just zis Guy, you know?"
<[email protected]> wrote this:-

>>Of course in such circumstances cyclists should abide by Highway Code
Rule
>>145 and pull over to allow following vehicles to pass.
>
>Which is exactly what I do, as soon as there's a prudent place to do so. Unfortunately some
>drivers seem to think that Rule 145 becomes mandatory with immediate effect if the driver is a
>Road Owner or the time elapsed exceeds fifteen seconds.

PeterE neglected to mention all of Rule 145:

"Do not hold up a long queue of traffic, especially if you are driving a large or slow moving
vehicle. Check your mirrors frequently, and if necessary, pull in where it is safe and let
traffic pass."

The "if necessary" and "where it is safe" bits seem to be forgotten by the impatient.

----------------

Agent 1.93/32.576 English (American) Xref: newspeer1-gui.server.ntli.net
uk.transport:81623 uk.rec.cycling:110886 X-Received-Date: Sun, 03 Aug 2003 18:31:09 BST

On Sun, 3 Aug 2003 18:05:12 +0100, "PeterE" <peter@xyz_ringtail.fsnet.co.uk> wrote:

>Of course in such circumstances cyclists should abide by Highway Code Rule 145 and pull over to
>allow following vehicles to pass.

Which is exactly what I do, as soon as there's a prudent place to do so. Unfortunately some drivers
seem to think that Rule 145 becomes mandatory with immediate effect if the driver is a Road Owner or
the time elapsed exceeds fifteen seconds.

Guy
===
** WARNING ** This posting may contain traces of irony. http://www.chapmancentral.com New!
Improved!! Now with added extra Demon!

-------------------

s.theplanet.net!not-for-mail From: "PeterE" <peter@xyz_ringtail.fsnet.co.uk> Newsgroups:
uk.transport,uk.rec.cycling Subject: Re: Suggestion to resolve advance-stop line problem Date: Sun,
3 Aug 2003 18:05:12 +0100 Lines: 19 Message-ID: <[email protected]> References:
<BB4F529D.12BFB%[email protected]> <[email protected]>
<[email protected]> <[email protected]>
<BB509C0F.131EF%[email protected]> <[email protected]>
<BB5192DA.1361E%[email protected]> <[email protected]>
<[email protected]> <[email protected]>
<[email protected]>
<[email protected]> Reply-To: "PeterE"
<[email protected]> NNTP-Posting-Host: 217.135.156.77 X-Trace:
news7.svr.pol.co.uk 1059930312 23962 217.135.156.77 (3 Aug 2003
17:05:12 GMT) NNTP-Posting-Date: 3 Aug 2003 17:05:12 GMT X-Complaints-To: [email protected]
uk.transport:81616 uk.rec.cycling:110874 X-Received-Date: Sun, 03 Aug 2003 18:05:13 BST

Conor <[email protected]> wrote:
> In article <[email protected]>, johns- [email protected] says...
>>
>> But you haven't got to pass them.
>>
> Really? So how many miles would you say is acceptable to follow a bike?

Of course in such circumstances cyclists should abide by Highway Code Rule 145 and pull over to
allow following vehicles to pass.

But we all know cyclists have this strange aversion to the HC.

--
http://www.speedlimit.org.uk "If laws are to be respected, they must be worthy of respect."

JNugent wrote:

> "Velvet" <[email protected]> wrote...

>>Cars can therefore be seen to be holding up other road users if cyclists are supposed to pull over
>>to let them pass constantly, from the cyclists point of view.

> That may mean something to you. The rest of us can only guess at what that may be.

It means that if PeterE's version of rule 145 were applied in practice, it would mean cyclists would
make no progress at all as they would have to pull over constantly in busy traffic.

>>Stop boxes ALSO help prevent the 'sorry mate I didn't see you' where they turn left THROUGH you
>>at a junction, cos you're able to get across that left turn (heading straight on) before they
>>pull left.

> Overtaking on the left is dangerous enough. Overtaking a vehicle which is indicating a left-turn
> from a nearside lane (on the left) is foolish in the extreme, isn't it?

If you knew anything about cycling (which you clearly don't) you'd know that having a vehicle turn
left through you doesn't require any undertaking on the part of the cyclist. I've had a number of
near-misses where vehicles have overtaken and have turned left immediately in front (sometimes when
still alongside). In the context of advanced stop boxes, most are situated at the end of a cycle
lane, and passing on the left is explictly permitted in the HC when traffic is moving slowly in
queues. If one is filtering to the front of the queue, it's better to be sited in a visible location
rather than sat where one can hardly be seen. Advanced stop boxes are also very useful if getting to
the junction ahead of traffic when the light is on red, since it prevents (unless the driver crosses
the stop line on red) the potentially dangerous situation of having to pull off with a vehicle also
pulling off only a few inches away (sometimes one on each side, and a filtering motorcyclist behind,
for good measure).

Oh, and I've also had near-misses when *not* advacing but remaining in position in the queue at a
set of lights, which would probably have been avoided if I'd used the advance stop box. For
instance, when moving off, in the left hand filter lane, the vehicle behind decides to overtake
and turn into the side of me immediately before the junction, rather than waiting til we'd crossed
the junction.

Simon

Simon Proven <[email protected]> wrote:

> It means that if PeterE's version of rule 145 were applied in practice, it would mean cyclists
> would make no progress at all as they would have to pull over constantly in busy traffic.

Obviously there has to be a sense of proportion to this, but cyclist must accept that, if they want
motor traffic to give them a much wider berth than is typical nowadays, then they will hold up motor
traffic much more and will need to take account of rule 145.

To be consistent, in heavy traffic they should also not pull out from the side of the road unless
there is a gap large enough for a car to pull into, otherwise they will be compromising their own
safety margin.

In my view this whole issue is a case, from the cyclist's point of view, of "be careful what you
wish for".

As a matter of interest, what, in your view, would be the maximum acceptable length of queue for a
slow-moving vehicle (not necessarily a pedal cycle) to hold up on a country road where speeds of
around 50 mph were often achievable, but overtaking opportunities were limited, before the
application of Rule 145 became desirable?

--

PeterE wrote:

> Simon Proven <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>>It means that if PeterE's version of rule 145 were applied in practice, it would mean cyclists
>>would make no progress at all as they would have to pull over constantly in busy traffic.
>

> Obviously there has to be a sense of proportion to this, but cyclist must accept that, if they
> want motor traffic to give them a much wider berth than is typical nowadays, then they will hold
> up motor traffic much more and will need to take account of rule 145.

I already do. I don't see the two as being strongly linked, though, because one is directly a safety
issue and the other is more an issue of consideration. I also don't link the two strongly because
often drivers overtake too close on an otherwise empty road. I was overtaken particularly badly by
one driver on the way home tonight. The problem was not the amount of space left, that was plenty.
It was the near- collision with oncoming traffic that worried me (and the oncoming traffic judging
by the reaction). It only saved a few seconds, again I don't see the link. There was no following
queue, I put it down to inexperience (the car had 'P' plates). There was nothing I could've done to
make it easier, it was at a bend in the road and overtaking there was idiotic.

> To be consistent, in heavy traffic they should also not pull out from the side of the road unless
> there is a gap large enough for a car to pull into, otherwise they will be compromising their own
> safety margin.

You're preaching to the converted here. On the way home tonight a cyclist pulled from a
pavement cycle path into an on-road cycle lane (which was just on the exit of a roundabout)
without even the slightest glance behind. Fortunately for her I had anticipated this and had
already checked my mirror and moved out of the cycle lane (I'd have been forced to stop if
there had been more traffic).

> In my view this whole issue is a case, from the cyclist's point of view, of "be careful what you
> wish for".

I don't ask for anything that's unreasonable. I cycle perfectly reasonably. Sometimes this means
holding people up for a few seconds. Should a driver that slows down for a hazard be run off the
road because of an impatient ****** behind?

> As a matter of interest, what, in your view, would be the maximum acceptable length of queue for a
> slow-moving vehicle (not necessarily a pedal cycle) to hold up on a country road where speeds of
> around 50 mph were often achievable, but overtaking opportunities were limited, before the
> application of Rule 145 became desirable?

I don't think it's possible to give such a number. If I was to pick one out the air, I's day
5. However:

IMHO, it's very context dependant. I will apply rule 145 for a single vehicle, if I believe that not
doing so will hold them up unreasonably, or if I think it might (on an unfamiliar road, for
instance, I might take the first opportunity to pull in). On a familiar road I might know that the
first opportunity costs me 5s yet just around that blind corner there's plenty space to overtake
without me having to pull over, and there's no point doing anything special to allow the vehicle to
pass. To allow a vehicle to pass, it is often as simple as when the road opens out a little, stop
pedalling and look over the shoulder (perhaps waving them forwards if they're unsure). I slow down
by only 1-2mph but the important thing is that I'm signalling I'm ready for them to pass and will
not make it difficult. Older, more experienced drivers tend to acknowledge this.

OTOH, I might be followed by a long queue of vehicles yet be able to see a queue up ahead for the
next set of lights, which will never clear by the time I get there. So I do nothing. Where people
get a chance they will overtake right up to the last few yards before the back of the queue in such
situations, often cutting in on me as we both reach it together.

It works both ways, though.

E.g., where there's some parked cars on the road I've been overtaken 50 yards before a parked car,
and oncoming traffic means the overtaking vehicle is forced to stop, yet there would've been
room for a cycle to pass safely. Many drivers seem to be oblivious (or not?) to the fact that
the way they drive obstructs the progress of cyclists. The overtaking just before pulling up and
parking (or for buses, stopping at a bus stop) one is also good, as is overtaking 50yds before a
driveway entrance at which they have to slow down to 5mph (I had been doing just over 20mph in a
30mph speed limit) to enter safely. Totally unthinking behaviour, and very common.

HTH.

Simon

On Wed, 13 Aug 2003 20:37:29 +0100, "PeterE" <peter@xyz_ringtail.fsnet.co.uk> wrote:

>Obviously there has to be a sense of proportion to this, but cyclist must accept that, if they want
>motor traffic to give them a much wider berth than is typical nowadays, then they will hold up
>motor traffic much more and will need to take account of rule 145.

Remember, though, that the "wider berth than is typical" is not some new demand but a request for
the same amount of space as we used to have, as set down in the Highway Code, a right which has been
established in practice by the courts.

At one extreme we have the types who won't give way under any circumstances (and are almost
certainly MLROs when driving), at the other we have the Nugentoids who *require* that all
slower-moving traffic get out of their way *now*.

It's quite staggering the number of people who overtake me really very dangerously only for me to
pass them in a traffic queue less than half a mile later. Day after day, same people, same
traffic queue.

On the plus side I was riding home tonight at a steady 32mph and the guy in the Merc behind stayed
put, showed no signs of impatience or aggression, even following a nice long way behind. All very
civilised.

Guy
===

Just zis Guy, you know? wrote:

> On the plus side I was riding home tonight at a steady 32mph and the guy in the Merc behind stayed
> put, showed no signs of impatience or aggression, even following a nice long way behind. All very
> civilised.

Yes but that's because you've gone over to the dark side and he was scared of you!

I take it you've got the frame fixed, btw?

Simon

JNugent wrote:
> "Velvet" <[email protected]> wrote...
>

>>"JNugent" <[email protected]> wrote...
>

>>(some snippage)
>

>>>Exactly. And completely incompatible with abominations such as so-called
>
> "advance
>
>>>stop lines" (which thankfully, seem to be very rarely used, probably because most cyclits have
>>>more common sense than the PC cretins who
>
> thought
>
>>>up this waste of road-space).

>>>It is *always* necessary. No road-user has the right to obstruct the
>
> road
>
>>>or to deliberately hold up other road-users where such delay is unnecessary.

If this statement is applied to ASL's, then ASL's do NOT obstruct of deliberately hold up users.
Prove the case where use of an ASL has obstructed the road for others any different to waiting at
the front of a queue of traffic would, and I'll reconsider, but till then, you're talking bollocks
on that point.

>>Cars can therefore be seen to be holding up other road users if cyclists are supposed to pull over
>>to let them pass constantly, from the cyclists point of view.
>

> That may mean something to you. The rest of us can only guess at what that may be.

You say something holding up the traffic is an obstruction, and should pull over. I say constantly
pulling over to let cars past is an obstruction of my use of the road, by the car. Think about it a
little more and take those blinkers off and you might realise what I'm talking about.

>>It is NOT always a black and white issue, despite what you appear to think, J. Nugent.
>

> You have missed the point. The context is that of these stupid ASLs, not traffic on the move on
> the "open" road.
>
> Check the post to which I was responding, and re-read muy post in correct context.

Replies enclosed above and below focused specifically on ASL's. It is STILL not ALWAYS safe to pull
over if the situations are as below. There is NO reason why a cyclist should stop in the gutter of
the road in a queue of stationary traffic - he should take up the centre of the lane amongst the
cars in this instance. Again, if applied specifically to ASL's - just why do you think that the
cyclist should give way to cars at the junction rather than sitting where he should be, at the head
of the queue/in the ASL - he will not cause an obstruction to the road, but WILL cross the junction
with more safety, and prevent cars from dangerously overtaking on the junction, and being squeezed
into the kerb on the exit from said junction.

>>>It is *always* safe.
>

>>So stopping on a blind bend, stopping over the crest of a blind summit, stopping very close to a
>>junction - yes, they're all REALLY safe places to stop, aren't they - ALL the time.
>

> You have missed the point. The context is that of these stupid ASLs, not traffic on the move on
> the "open" road.
>

>>Idiot.
>

> I'd have thought that a better description of someone who has failed to grasp the context of my
> post (which was made absolutely clear - the context is that of these stupid ASLs, not traffic on
> the move on the "open" road).

No, from what I've read of you before, and what I read here, I still maintain that statement to be
correct. Your arguments against ASL's are founded on complete misunderstanding of shared road use
and the various DIFFERING hazards to the road users.

>>>All that is necessary is not to "advance" to a position where one will automatically create an
>>>obstruction - which is, at least, something the vast majority of cyclists do not do (to the
>>>extent that they stop at
>
> the
>
>>>red traffic light at all, of course).

Once again, cyclists at an ASL do not necessarily create an obstruction, and the ASL allows the
cyclist to cross the junction with a much better chance of doing so safely.

>>As far as I'm concerned, if an advance stop box allows me to safely negotiate a junction (for
>>example, if turning right
>

> No problem with that. A vehicle turning right *should* be in the right hand lane or on the crown
> of the road where there is only one lane.
>

>>and the alternative is to attempt to filter in with cars wishing to go straight on at the junction
>>and avoid their impatient driving habits) then I will use a stop box with absolute certainty that
>>it is my right to do so.
>

> Subcject to your douing it correctly, I can see no problem with that. A vehicle turning right
> *should* be in the right hand lane or on the crown of the road where there is only one lane.
>

>>Stop boxes ALSO help prevent the 'sorry mate I didn't see you' where they turn left THROUGH you
>>at a junction, cos you're able to get across that left turn (heading straight on) before they
>>pull left.
>

> Overtaking on the left is dangerous enough. Overtaking a vehicle which is indicating a left-turn
> from a nearside lane (on the left) is foolish in the extreme, isn't it?
>
> Not that it is directly connected with the issue at hand, which was ASLs.

I'm not talking about overtaking on the left, nor overtaking a vehicle signalling a right turn, as
would be clearly understood by relating the situation I describe to the ASL - take the advice you
gave me earlier about applying all this to the ASL circumstance only, please.

I'm talking about being part of a moving stream of traffic, where inevitably cars will (despite road
positioning attempting to stop this) pull along side if you're stopped, and will pull around to
attempt to overtake, then completely forget you are there, and turn left on that junction THROUGH
you, as a cyclist, going straight on. It happens enough times that I see no reason why an advanced
stop box should not be a good thing. Cars dislike intensly waiting behind cyclists at any time,
junctions included, where they perceive they have the right to pull away faster and not be held up.

As a cyclist approaches a junction, he/she will be expected to be at the left of the cars, sharing
road space with them, which makes it very hard to integrate into the stream with the cars pulling to
a stop around you, to take up primary riding position to stop cars pulling alongside then turning
left through you. Depending on the road/cycle lane in question, it is perfectly acceptable to ride
up a dedicated cycle lane and into the ASL whilst traffic is stationary, albeit with care and
knowledge that stupid drivers may open a door without looking into your path at any moment. Once in
the ASL, you will pull away first, clear the junction, and the car behind has a much reduced chance
of turning left through you - as I stated above.

Perhaps this makes it a bit clearer. I wasn't advocating undertaking vehicles ad hoc, just pointing
out two instances where being in an ASL with the motorists at an INCREASED distance behind the back
wheel is a distinct advantage.

So, to sum up - ASL's aren't stupid. From a cyclists point of view, they are useful. If car drivers
weren't so unobservant, impatient and downright dangerous to other road users, perhaps measures such
as cycle lanes, ASL's, shared use paths, etc, wouldn't be needed, and then no-one would have a
problem, would they.

Velvet

Velvet wrote:

> So, to sum up - ASL's aren't stupid. From a cyclists point of view, they are useful. If car
> drivers weren't so unobservant, impatient and downright dangerous to other road users, perhaps
> measures such as cycle lanes, ASL's, shared use paths, etc, wouldn't be needed, and then no-one
> would have a problem, would they.
>
> Velvet

Of course they're not stupid, and the purpose of my originally posting was to see if there were any
better ways of enforcing them.

You touch on an interesting point. Disappointingly, Sustrans talks about 'safe' and 'non-safe'
routes. As long as a route isn't full of pot holes, it's perfectly safe. What makes it dangerous is
the people on it, especially the cretinous variety who have by some sheer fluke managed to acquire a
driving licence (or not as the case may be).

Michael Calwell

On Wed, 13 Aug 2003 22:15:04 +0000 (UTC), Michael Calwell <[email protected]> wrote:

>Of course they're not stupid, and the purpose of my originally posting was to see if there were any
>better ways of enforcing them.

Hi Michael

I'd forgotten who was to blame for this thread!

As a non-driver and a cyclist I believe the problem with ASLs comes from bike riders trying to have
their cake and eat it. I doubt many would complain about a rider passing one or two stationary
vehicles on the left then stopping in the ASL box. However, I can see problems when cyclists decide
to undertake several vehicles, some of which are moving and intend to turn left.

Perhaps a shorter and more defined cycle lane entering the ASL box would help.

James

--
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/c.butty/Larrau.jpg

On Wed, 13 Aug 2003 22:22:45 +0100, Simon Proven <[email protected]> wrote:

>Yes but that's because you've gone over to the dark side and he was scared of you!

I prefer to think that he took one look at the Stelvios and realised he didn't stand a chance ;-P

>I take it you've got the frame fixed, btw?

Ho yus. Most satisfactory.

Guy
===

James Hodson wrote:

> On Wed, 13 Aug 2003 22:15:04 +0000 (UTC), Michael Calwell <[email protected]> wrote:
>

>>Of course they're not stupid, and the purpose of my originally posting was to see if there were
>>any better ways of enforcing them.
>>

> Hi Michael
>
> I'd forgotten who was to blame for this thread!
>
> As a non-driver and a cyclist I believe the problem with ASLs comes from bike riders trying to
> have their cake and eat it. I doubt many would complain about a rider passing one or two
> stationary vehicles on the left then stopping in the ASL box. However, I can see problems when
> cyclists decide to undertake several vehicles, some of which are moving and intend to turn left.

Do you think people only filter past moving vehicles when there's an ASL? I don't. I think it's
illegal to overtake the lead vehicle, if it's moving, in any case.

Simon

Just zis Guy, you know? wrote:
> "James Hodson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>

>>I can see problems when cyclists decide to undertake several vehicles, some of which are moving
>>and intend to turn left.

> Best practice has a feeder cycle lane to the right of the traffic queue, AIUI.

I'd rather be stranded at the kerb than stranded in the middle of opposing lanes of traffic, tbh.

I was once cycling in Manchester, and approached a T junction (from the side road). The left lane
was marked with a left turn arrow, and the right with a right, so I approached in the middle of the
right hand lane. A car approached from behind and entered the junction alongside me... and turned
right, forcing me into the middle of the road I was turning into. Not pleasant. It illustrates to me
that even though I was following "best practice" advice for approaching the junction I was unable to
counter every possible scenario of idiotic driver behaviour.

In any event, filtering properly and safety takes skill and practice. I understand that
motorcyclists are taught how to do it, perhaps if the adult cycle training scheme takes off it will
include how to filter safely.