suggestions for new entry level bike

micman75

Jun 30, 2003
My brother in law is looking for a new bike. He is a recreational rider, only riding perhaps once every 2-3 weeks. He has a really old road bike dating from the 70s at present. He is hoping the new bike would inspire him to ride more often.

His budget is <AUS$1000. I have suggested the Giant OCR3... Any ohter suggestions?

Originally posted by micman75
My brother in law is looking for a new bike. He is a recreational rider, only riding perhaps once every 2-3 weeks. He has a really old road bike dating from the 70s at present. He is hoping the new bike would inspire him to ride more often.

His budget is <AUS$1000. I have suggested the Giant OCR3... Any ohter suggestions?

I spent a few weeks recently hunting around for a new bike (at a higher price point though) and generally the Giant's were unbeatable value. Particularly now, there are several stores in Melb having 2003 model runouts (e.g. OCR1s down to $1499 and OCR-3s down to $850).

If you're keen to try a mail order bike, you can get a Tiagra equipped bike from Learsport for just over the grand... Just check their geometry carefully, work out who makes the frame and size it at your local store (e.g. if they're Giant frames etc).

http://www.learsport.com.au/