Sugino GP crankset - help please

Status
Not open for further replies.

arcascomp

Aug 16, 2003
Hi all,

I'm a bit of a newbie on cycling repair etc, so please bear with me

I'm building up a commuting hack from an old road frame and I'm looking for a little advice on bottom bracket size to go with a Sugino GP triple crank (or chain) set.

I picked up this set cheaply from a mate, but it doesn't have any guide for BB sizes in a standard frame. The old BB was a shimano 68 x 113mm coupled to a Sora triple chainset (missing by the time I got the frame). Does anyone out there know the recommended width of bracket for this set?

Thanks in advance

Arcascomp.

Just install the chainset on the existing bottom bracket and see if it works. If the bottom bracket
is too narrow, then the inner chainring will rub the frame. If that is the case, you'll need a wider
bottom bracket. otherwise, use the existing bottom bracket.

Andres

>Hi all,
>
>I'm a bit of a newbie on cycling repair etc, so please bear with me
>
>I'm building up a commuting hack from an old road frame and I'm looking for a little advice on
>bottom bracket size to go with a Sugino GP triple crank (or chain) set.
>
>I picked up this set cheaply from a mate, but it doesn't have any guide for BB sizes in a standard
>frame. The old BB was a shimano 68 x 113mm coupled to a Sora triple chainset (missing by the time I
>got the frame). Does anyone out there know the recommended width of bracket for this set?
>
>Thanks in advance
>
>Arcascomp.
>
>
>
>--
>>--------------------------<
>Posted via cyclingforums.com http://www.cyclingforums.com
>
>
>

Arcascomp:

I use Sugino GT double and triple cranks on my rain bikes. Nice units. You can construct 34-40-52
tooth triple chainrings setups with the doubles by using long chainring bolts and spacers.

On the GT doubles I need a 120mm bottom bracket spindle. On the triples:
125mm. Shimano taper of course.

"arcascomp" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> Hi all,
>
> I'm a bit of a newbie on cycling repair etc, so please bear with me
>
> I'm building up a commuting hack from an old road frame and I'm looking for a little advice on
> bottom bracket size to go with a Sugino GP triple crank (or chain) set.
>
> I picked up this set cheaply from a mate, but it doesn't have any guide for BB sizes in a standard
> frame. The old BB was a shimano 68 x 113mm coupled to a Sora triple chainset (missing by the time
> I got the frame). Does anyone out there know the recommended width of bracket for this set?
>
> Thanks in advance
>
> Arcascomp.
>
>
>
> --
> >--------------------------<
> Posted via cyclingforums.com http://www.cyclingforums.com

Thanks for the replies.

I got impatient and wanted to get the ol gal going so I nipped down to the Halfords Bike Hut (LBS) and grabbed a 118mm shimano. I offered it up and it seemed to be a bit too small. I assumed that when I fitted it properly that the crank would be even further in.

I took it back and exchanged it for a 122mm and that definitely has clearance, prehaps too much now! Looking at how far the crank went on with the bolts, I'm now wondering if the 118mm wasn't a better bet! Maybe I should give a 120mm a shot. :)

I'll have to do something as the Sora front derailer/changers won't go quite far enough by a mm or so.

As a parting shot, anyone got a spare shimano hex nut that secures the rear derailer cable in place? mine is missing!

Thanx

On 17 Aug 2003 15:08:36 GMT, [email protected] (AndresMuro) wrote:

>Just install the chainset on the existing bottom bracket and see if it works. If the bottom bracket
>is too narrow, then the inner chainring will rub the frame. If that is the case, you'll need a
>wider bottom bracket. otherwise, use the existing bottom bracket.

113 is not the size for a Sugino GP triple. It is most likely 118. There is a small chance
it is 122.

Use a bb that puts the center ring 45 mm from the centerline of the frame.

On Sun, 17 Aug 2003 15:41:08 GMT, "Dave Mayer" <[email protected]> wrote:

>On the GT doubles I need a 120mm bottom bracket spindle

Funny, my Sugino double uses a 113 to get the inner ring at 41 mm from the centerline of the frame.

On 19 Aug 2003 03:45:26 +0950, arcascomp <[email protected]> wrote:

>I took it back and exchanged it for a 122mm and that definitely has clearance, prehaps too much
>now! Looking at how far the crank went on with the bolts, I'm now wondering if the 118mm wasn't a
>better bet! Maybe I should give a 120mm a shot. :)

Put a 1 mm freewheel spacer between the drive side cup and frame of the 118.

Status
Not open for further replies.