Supplements - Groups Opinion

Gadget

Guest
As many of you must know by now, I am doing the Rome to the Dome ride in June. I have trained for it
so I'm not overly worried, but I want to know your opinion on supplements. I have been looking at
Maximuscle Viper Extreme (http://tinyurl.com/cblm) and my general idea was to take this during the
ride. My usual long distance intake involves lots of water, snickers and bananas. What is your
opinion on using this instead?

Many Thanks

Gadget

"Gadget" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> As many of you must know by now, I am doing the Rome to the Dome ride in June. I have trained for
> it so I'm not overly worried, but I want to know your opinion on supplements. I have been looking
> at Maximuscle Viper
Extreme
> (http://tinyurl.com/cblm) and my general idea was to take this during the ride. My usual long
> distance intake involves lots of water, snickers and bananas. What is your opinion on using this
> instead?

My opinion is I wouldn't use it. A stimulant has a short lived effect that usually has to be paid
for later, or not so later. Great if you want to stay awake and alert, say, to ride non-stop for 24
hours but not so good if you want to ride on several consecutive days with a normal sleep pattern.

Why not use an energy drink that just provides fuel, my current favourite is High Five but there are
several more similar drink additives, Maxim for one. Keep scoffing the bananas and try some cereal
bars, Frusilis are my favourite and they withstand a hammering in seatpacks or pockets.

my 10p, Pete

"Peter B" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> Why not use an energy drink that just provides fuel, my current favourite
is
> High Five but there are several more similar drink additives, Maxim for
one.
> Keep scoffing the bananas and try some cereal bars, Frusilis are my favourite and they withstand a
> hammering in seatpacks or pockets.

And 1.4 kg of High Five costs £13.50 as opposed to £30 per 1kg of that stuff. The saving will buy a
lot of cups of fresh coffee or tea or even cola.

Pete

Eat food and drink water.

You need to eat some protein as well as carbohydrate, othewise you will get the knock regularly.

All of this fancy sports bar stuff is just marketing.

"Gadget" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> As many of you must know by now, I am doing the Rome to the Dome ride in June. I have trained for
> it so I'm not overly worried, but I want to know your opinion on supplements. I have been looking
> at Maximuscle Viper Extreme (http://tinyurl.com/cblm) and my general idea was to take this during
> the ride. My usual long distance intake involves lots of water, snickers and bananas. What is your
> opinion on using this instead?
>
> Many Thanks
>
> Gadget

Stick to your usual food. Worth trying for drinking is a 50/50 or thereabouts mix of water and fruit
juice. It provides energy as well as liquid and is cheap. I carry three bottles on my bike when
touring. It lets me split a litre of water and a litre of juice between them and have a drink at the
same time. cheers Iain

"Peter B" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> "Peter B" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> > Why not use an energy drink that just provides fuel, my current favourite
> is
> > High Five but there are several more similar drink additives, Maxim for
> one.
> > Keep scoffing the bananas and try some cereal bars, Frusilis are my favourite and they withstand
> > a hammering in seatpacks or pockets.
>
> And 1.4 kg of High Five costs £13.50 as opposed to £30 per 1kg of that stuff. The saving will buy
> a lot of cups of fresh coffee or tea or even cola.

High Five is good stuff. The SIS energy gels also work very well for
me. With all this stuff try it out well in advance of the event. Don't wait until you're half way
through the big ride to find out it doesn't agree with you.

--
Dave...

"Gadget" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> As many of you must know by now, I am doing the Rome to the Dome ride in June. I have trained for
> it so I'm not overly worried, but I want to know your opinion on supplements. I have been looking
> at Maximuscle Viper
Extreme
> (http://tinyurl.com/cblm) and my general idea was to take this during the ride. My usual long
> distance intake involves lots of water, snickers and bananas. What is your opinion on using this
> instead?
>
> Many Thanks
>
> Gadget

When I recently did the <yawn> e2e at 100 miles per day, I followed some advice from the group re
using dried mixed fruit and unsalted peanuts. I'd have a full english breakfast, cycle a couple of
hours, 10 min break for snack of dried fruit & peanuts, cycle another couple of hours, stop for
lunch somewhere, something relatively light, more for a break from the cycling than to fill up.
Repeat in the afternoon with a good meal in the evening. I was so impressed with the effect of the
dried fruit and peanuts that I now use it for other hobbies such as rock climbing, running and
swimming. I never run out of energy now and have improved PB's all over ;-) HTH Dave.
p.s. - I was getting through 6-8 litres of water per day via a hydra-backpack.

On Wed, 21 May 2003 19:03:22 +0100, "Gadget" <[email protected]> wrote:

>I have been looking at Maximuscle Viper Extreme

It's what ten-foot barge poles were made for.

Guy
===
dynamic DNS permitting)
work. Apologies.

On Thu, 22 May 2003 14:06:23 +0100, "Dave" <[email protected]> wrote:

>dried mixed fruit and unsalted peanuts

Beloved of fellwalkers and climbers everywhere, I understand. Got through scads of the stuff in my
expedition walking days, and would recommend it any time. Muesli bars, too. And of course the
occasional chunk of Kendall mint cake :)

Guy
===
dynamic DNS permitting)
work. Apologies.