rec.bicycles.rides · Public discussion

SUV Protest

Started by Bill Henry · · Last activity · 203 posts · 9,996 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
rec.bicycles.rides
Published
13 September 2005
Last activity
29 November 2005
Original author
Bill Henry
Posts
203
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
9,996
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 101–120 of 203
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Sat, 17 Sep 2005 00:45:32 GMT,
    <[email hidden]>, "Bill Sornson"

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    > Yeah Bill, cars really do suck.

    But you still use 'em. Puzzling.

    I also use an Shop-Vac and an Electrolux.

    You had a point?

    That you'd look rather silly if you ranted and raved about Shop-Vacs and
    Electroluxes (AND their users). That's all.

    You don't want to hear the vacuum rant. I dislike having to use any
    tool with a cord at one end and a hose at the other. Power washers are
    the worst. They've two hoses and a cord.

    I don't drive by "choice". I'm sometimes required to chauffer my
    employer in their car. We're all safer when they're not driving.
    --
    zk

  2. Buck said:

    Awww, come on guys! Both of you can't get the numbers?!?

    SHOW ME THE NUMBERS!

    Then we can go on with this little sidetrack in the conversation....

    Try the California Report for Leaf Blower pollution, other numbers are
    available in other areas of the same site.

    http://www.arb.ca.gov/msprog/leafblow/leafblow.htm

    Most of the numbers are broken down by the type of pollution.

    W

  3. Quoted message said:

    De-construct this. It's too damn late. The highways were
    built, the neighborhoods were destroyed, the parking lots
    built, the suburbs built as far as the eye can see. This
    happened a long time ago. We're on the back side of it
    now. Where were you 30 years ago when your tantrums
    might have actually done some good? All of this happened
    because people love the idea of one person-one car and
    they demanded it. People wanted their cars and their
    houses in the suburbs. The only thing that's going
    to de-construct this is Hubbert's Peak and the end
    of the cheap oil era. The current situation is untenable
    and unsustainable on its own, contains the seeds of its
    own demise, and no amount of 'protest' is going to make
    a damn bit of difference compared to that.

    Great post. It captures the curmudgeonly attitude I've acquired
    lately.

    A small number of people in our society conserve energy, ride bikes,
    etc. It is currently a fringe activity. Most people don't even
    understand the nature of the problem. A CNBC poll today asks the
    age-old question "who's to blame?" for high gasoline prices. Barely a
    third of the respondents are ready to accept that it is us, the
    consumers, who are paying these prices:

    Domestic oil producers: 45%
    Congress: 5%
    OPEC: 21%
    Consumers: 29%

    That's the state of "energy planning" in our society. Most people
    drive they cars and then "blame" domestic oil producers or opec.

  4. Zoot Katz said:

    Fri, 16 Sep 2005 15:41:37 -0700, <[email hidden]>,

    brink said:

    or a bicyclist rides through wet cement on a sidewalk.

    Try that one and get back to us.

    Bike messengers are known to utilize coned-off construction
    zones to the chagrin of orange vested folk whose job it is
    to keep them out. I know of two local messengers who
    succumbed to hub-deep cement of a freshly poured slab,
    causing their bikes to stop cold and their bodies to be
    launched head first into the slop. Unfortunately I was
    not there to witness either event. I imagine that a few
    of the orange vested city workers there laughed heartily,
    while the rest just stood around doing nothing.

    Robert

  5. Tom Keats said:

    In article <[email hidden]>,

    the black rose said:

    I can't even imagine what it must be like to live with all that
    self-inflicted rancor, anger, and bitterness. What a frightful world to
    live in! I feel pretty sorry for him.

    Lose a loved one (or two) to the selfish carelessness of
    scud pilots, and then say all that.

    I believe I did. Lose two loved ones to the selfish carelessness of
    other drivers, that is. And then say all that. Yes, indeed I did.

    --

    the black rose
    Research Associate in the Field of Child Development and Human
    Relations
    http://community.webshots.com/user/blackrosequilts
    2005 BOMs: http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/blackrosequilts/my_photos

    -------- __o
    ----- -\<. -------- __o
    --- ( )/ ( ) ---- -\<.
    -------------------- ( )/ ( )
    -----------------------------------------

  6. Zoot Katz said:

    Sat, 17 Sep 2005 03:05:28 GMT,
    <[email hidden]>, the black rose

    Quoted message said:

    I can't even imagine what it must be like to live with all that
    self-inflicted rancor, anger, and bitterness. What a frightful world to
    live in! I feel pretty sorry for him.

    Your pity is misplaced.
    You're the one unable to imagine or manifest a better lifestyle
    without a car.
    That's is truly sad.
    But I don't feel sorry for you because you brought it on yourself.

    Your assumptions are showing! :-D

    --

    the black rose
    Research Associate in the Field of Child Development and Human
    Relations
    http://community.webshots.com/user/blackrosequilts
    2005 BOMs: http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/blackrosequilts/my_photos

    -------- __o
    ----- -\<. -------- __o
    --- ( )/ ( ) ---- -\<.
    -------------------- ( )/ ( )
    -----------------------------------------

  7. In article <[email hidden]>,

    the black rose said:
    Tom Keats said:

    In article <[email hidden]>,

    the black rose said:

    I can't even imagine what it must be like to live with all that
    self-inflicted rancor, anger, and bitterness. What a frightful world to
    live in! I feel pretty sorry for him.

    Lose a loved one (or two) to the selfish carelessness of
    scud pilots, and then say all that.

    I believe I did. Lose two loved ones to the selfish carelessness of
    other drivers, that is. And then say all that. Yes, indeed I did.

    I don't see it in this thread.

    Anyway, you lose loved ones to the selfish carelessness
    of other drivers, and yet apparently don't find /that/
    creating a frightful world to live in? And you pity
    those who do? What are you, some kind of car addict?

    Hell, attitudes like yours create a frightful world to live in.
    But maybe not as much as cars being designed beyond the average
    nincompoop's capacity to operate them responsibly.

    Society needs cars to be designed by Fisher-Price.

    HAND,
    Tom

    --
    -- Nothing is safe from me.
    Above address is just a spam midden.
    I'm really at: tkeats [curlicue] vcn [point] bc [point] ca

  8. Zoot Katz said:

    Fri, 16 Sep 2005 21:28:08 -0700,
    <[email hidden]>, Mark Hickey

    Quoted message said:

    Thing is, he's just as "effective" as Vandeman. I can't think of a
    better way to mute the message of bicycles as transportation than to
    do what Zoot does.

    I ride responsibly and I celebrate cycling. I also like tweaking the
    grid-locked drones noses and thumbing mine at their impotence.
    How's that muting the message?

    Zoot, riding responsibly and celebrating cycling are cool things.
    Ranting about cars like they were cruise missiles does nothing but
    marginalize any valid statements you might make. Implying that anyone
    who occasionally drives a car is the spawn of Satan only serves to
    alienate your audience (most of who qualify for SoS under your
    criteria).

    Maybe you mean it to be cute - it comes off as whacko, IMHO.

    Mark "not that there's anything wrong with that" Hickey
    Habanero Cycles
    http://www.habcycles.com
    Home of the $795 ti frame

  9. Zoot Katz said:

    <[email hidden]>, Mark Hickey
    <[email hidden]> wrote:

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    I agree we should all do "as little damage as possible", but let's not
    delude ourselves into thinking that we're not part of the problem too.

    Gee, I do my laundry in cold water, buy local organic produce, cycle
    and recycle, use public transit, don't fly, use energy efficient light
    bulbs and have never supported bombing any one. How about you?

    Do you use electricity? I'm guessing "yes" unless you use those energy
    efficient light bulbs as sculpture. Water? Obviously if you're doing
    your laundry. How do you suppose that organic produce gets to your
    market?

    Mark Hickey
    Habanero Cycles
    http://www.habcycles.com
    Home of the $795 ti frame

  10. Quoted message said:
    Zoot Katz said:

    Fri, 16 Sep 2005 15:41:37 -0700, <[email hidden]>,

    brink said:

    or a bicyclist rides through wet cement on a sidewalk.

    Try that one and get back to us.

    Bike messengers are known to utilize coned-off construction
    zones to the chagrin of orange vested folk whose job it is
    to keep them out. I know of two local messengers who
    succumbed to hub-deep cement of a freshly poured slab,
    causing their bikes to stop cold and their bodies to be
    launched head first into the slop. Unfortunately I was
    not there to witness either event. I imagine that a few
    of the orange vested city workers there laughed heartily,
    while the rest just stood around doing nothing.

    I would imagine that they were rushing over quickly to re-smooth the
    cement...

    .... OVER the bike messenger. ;-)

    Mark Hickey
    Habanero Cycles
    http://www.habcycles.com
    Home of the $795 ti frame

  11. Sat, 17 Sep 2005 17:48:23 -0700, <[email hidden]>,

    (Tom Keats) said:

    Anyway, you lose loved ones to the selfish carelessness
    of other drivers, and yet apparently don't find /that/
    creating a frightful world to live in? And you pity
    those who do? What are you, some kind of car addict?

    I suppose if I'd had friends murdered by junkies that I too would find
    it more acceptable if I were also a junkie
    --
    zk

  12. Sat, 17 Sep 2005 18:01:59 -0700,
    <[email hidden]>, Mark Hickey

    Quoted message said:
    Zoot Katz said:

    Fri, 16 Sep 2005 21:28:08 -0700,
    <[email hidden]>, Mark Hickey

    Quoted message said:

    Thing is, he's just as "effective" as Vandeman. I can't think of a
    better way to mute the message of bicycles as transportation than to
    do what Zoot does.

    I ride responsibly and I celebrate cycling. I also like tweaking the
    grid-locked drones noses and thumbing mine at their impotence.
    How's that muting the message?

    Zoot, riding responsibly and celebrating cycling are cool things.
    Ranting about cars like they were cruise missiles does nothing but
    marginalize any valid statements you might make. Implying that anyone
    who occasionally drives a car is the spawn of Satan only serves to
    alienate your audience (most of who qualify for SoS under your
    criteria).

    Maybe you mean it to be cute - it comes off as whacko, IMHO.

    I believe it was the late Tooker Gomberg who pointed out that every
    cause needs radicals so that the less radical actions seem palatable
    to the mainstream. Life at the fringe isn't crowded with sheeple.
    --
    zk

  13. Sat, 17 Sep 2005 18:12:51 -0700,
    <[email hidden]>, Mark Hickey

    Quoted message said:
    Zoot Katz said:

    <[email hidden]>, Mark Hickey
    <[email hidden]> wrote:

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    I agree we should all do "as little damage as possible", but let's not
    delude ourselves into thinking that we're not part of the problem too.

    Gee, I do my laundry in cold water, buy local organic produce, cycle
    and recycle, use public transit, don't fly, use energy efficient light
    bulbs and have never supported bombing any one. How about you?

    Do you use electricity? I'm guessing "yes" unless you use those energy
    efficient light bulbs as sculpture. Water? Obviously if you're doing
    your laundry. How do you suppose that organic produce gets to your
    market?

    I buy my electricity from BC Hydro and I pay for it, unlike
    California. ^^^^^

    But I don't support bombing anyone to maintain an unsustainable
    lifestyle. Your "as little damage as possible" has a hollow echo
    knowing your stance on geopolitics.
    --
    zk

  14. In article <[email hidden]>,

    Zoot Katz said:

    Sat, 17 Sep 2005 17:48:23 -0700, <[email hidden]>,

    (Tom Keats) said:

    Anyway, you lose loved ones to the selfish carelessness
    of other drivers, and yet apparently don't find /that/
    creating a frightful world to live in? And you pity
    those who do? What are you, some kind of car addict?

    I suppose if I'd had friends murdered by junkies that I too would find
    it more acceptable if I were also a junkie

    What an ugly world that would make.

    Wait a minute ...

    cheers,
    Tom

    --
    -- Nothing is safe from me.
    Above address is just a spam midden.
    I'm really at: tkeats [curlicue] vcn [point] bc [point] ca

  15. In article <[email hidden]>,

    Mark Hickey said:

    How do you suppose that organic produce gets to your
    market?

    Not by the motor vehicle you go to work with.

    cheers,
    Tom

    --
    -- Nothing is safe from me.
    Above address is just a spam midden.
    I'm really at: tkeats [curlicue] vcn [point] bc [point] ca

  16. Tom Keats said:

    In article <[email hidden]>,

    the black rose said:
    Tom Keats said:

    In article <[email hidden]>,
    the black rose <[email hidden]> writes:

    >I can't even imagine what it must be like to live with all that
    >self-inflicted rancor, anger, and bitterness. What a frightful world to
    >live in! I feel pretty sorry for him.

    Lose a loved one (or two) to the selfish carelessness of
    scud pilots, and then say all that.

    I believe I did. Lose two loved ones to the selfish carelessness of
    other drivers, that is. And then say all that. Yes, indeed I did.

    I don't see it in this thread.

    Oh do grow up. You told me to lose a couple of loved ones to the
    carelessness of automobile drivers, and then say "all that." And I
    informed you that I have in fact lost a couple of loved ones to the
    carelessness of automobile drivers and then said "all that."

    I don't choose to hold the actions of a few idiots against everybody else.

    Quoted message said:

    Anyway, you lose loved ones to the selfish carelessness
    of other drivers, and yet apparently don't find /that/
    creating a frightful world to live in? And you pity
    those who do? What are you, some kind of car addict?

    Car addict? BWA HAHAHAHAHA. My, are you ever barking up the wrong tree.

    No, I don't find this a frightful world to live in. There will always
    be careless people. I will do my best to avoid them. I ride with
    healthy caution. There may come a day when I don't successfully avoid a
    careless driver, or there may not, but I don't see it as a reason to let
    fear, anger and paranoia rule me. Nor do I see it as a reason to
    blindly attack people I don't even know just because they said something
    I disagree with. The assumptions you're making about me are
    breathtakingly inaccurate.

    Live each day to the fullest, do my best to do no harm, and ride my bike
    lots because I enjoy it, because it's good for me, because it's good for
    the world I live in. If that attitude creates a frightful world, then I
    really don't know what to say. Nor do I care to argue this any further
    with an individual who doesn't appear to have left name-calling behind
    in the schoolyard. So fire away, my dear, if it makes you feel better.

    --

    the black rose
    Research Associate in the Field of Child Development and Human
    Relations
    http://community.webshots.com/user/blackrosequilts
    2005 BOMs: http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/blackrosequilts/my_photos

    -------- __o
    ----- -\<. -------- __o
    --- ( )/ ( ) ---- -\<.
    -------------------- ( )/ ( )
    -----------------------------------------

  17. mark said:

    A lot of the backcountry roads here in Colorado may well havde been
    negotiable in a VW Beetle or Bus in the '60s and '70s, but the dramatic
    increase in SUV traffic on these roads, the excess weight of modern SUVs,
    and lack of maintenance have made these roads impassable for anything
    without big fat tires, lots of clearance, and either very low gearing or a

    fair bit of low end torque. Even with an SUV, travelling these roads can
    be
    a difficult, unpleasant experience. Hiking them, OTOH, is fairly pleasant
    and not a whole lot slower than driving on them.

    Why hike when there is that wonderful invention, the mountain bicycle (sorry
    Mikey V)? Almost every LBS has a decent selection and a decent one can had
    for about 2% of the cost of a new SUV.

    --
    Sock Puppet

    ----== Posted via Newsfeeds.Com - Unlimited-Uncensored-Secure Usenet News==----
    http://www.newsfeeds.com The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World! 120,000+ Newsgroups
    ----= East and West-Coast Server Farms - Total Privacy via Encryption =----

  18. Robert Uhl said:
    Rich said:


    Quoted message said:

    So potentially someone in an emergency situation might run out to his
    vehicle and be unable to get to the hospital, or his parents' home,
    or his kids' school, or whatever. Yeah, that's really taking the
    moral high ground.

    In an emergency situation, people should call 911. The last thing we
    need is a guy in a hummer driving like a madman to get somewhere.

    Ambulances cost money.

    I live about six blocks from a hospital. Does it make more sense to
    drive the five minutes thereto or wait around for an ambulance which
    will take longer to arrive?

    In the US, that 5 minute ambulance ride will cost you $300-600.

    --
    Sock Puppet

    ----== Posted via Newsfeeds.Com - Unlimited-Uncensored-Secure Usenet News==----
    http://www.newsfeeds.com The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World! 120,000+ Newsgroups
    ----= East and West-Coast Server Farms - Total Privacy via Encryption =----

  19. Gooserider said:

    Letting the air out is a bit much. There are anti-SUV bumper stickers, but
    I
    think these magnetic ones on eBay are funnier.

    http://tinyurl.com/cmk97

    What is so funny about homophobia?

    --
    Sock Puppet

    ----== Posted via Newsfeeds.Com - Unlimited-Uncensored-Secure Usenet News==----
    http://www.newsfeeds.com The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World! 120,000+ Newsgroups
    ----= East and West-Coast Server Farms - Total Privacy via Encryption =----

  20. Nuck 'n Futz said:
    Zoot Katz said:

    Thu, 15 Sep 2005 17:06:39 GMT,
    another scud enslaved nobody, "Nuck 'n Futz" piddled:


    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

    {Nice ASSumption, BTW; bet you bought more gas in last month than I.}

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    All I'm saying is that flattening the tires of some stranger's
    Explorer is a cowardly way of expressing one's holier-than-thou self.

    Quoted message said:

    How do feel about hit-and-run?

    I thought the OP (and/or subsequent) talked about people flattening tires
    of
    SUVs and leaving pamphlets explaining why. How did that morph into hit &
    run?!?

    Quoted message said:

    Whether it results in just minor property damage to your shiney scud
    or death or injury to pedestrians and cyclists, about twenty percent
    of you scud slaves prove it doesn't take backbone to be assholesl

    No idea what that even means.

    It means Ron Hardin's signature line is wrong.

    --
    Sock Puppet

    ----== Posted via Newsfeeds.Com - Unlimited-Uncensored-Secure Usenet News==----
    http://www.newsfeeds.com The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World! 120,000+ Newsgroups
    ----= East and West-Coast Server Farms - Total Privacy via Encryption =----

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.