Sydney to Gong

Zebee Johnstone <[email protected]> wrote:

> In aus.bicycle on Sun, 05 Nov 2006 14:18:54 +1100
> DaveB <[email protected]> wrote:
> > Zebee Johnstone wrote:
> >> - some people spend so much on their bikes, their clothes, and their
> >> shoes that they can't afford a puncture kit. They go on a long
> >> ride anyway.

> > Sigh, that would apply to me this morning. I had a spare tube and pump
> > but forgot repair kit, tools etc. After puncturing once I spent the rest
> > of my ride with eagle-eye paranoia over any sign of broken glass on the
> > road.
> >

> At least you had *something*.
>
> One bod didn't have so much as a credit card. Bike, clothes,
> waterbottle. No pump, no tubes, no patches, no nothing. I brought my
> patch kit and floor pump because I suspected they might be needed :)

Well, let's just say the ride was very educational for that rider. I am
sure he'll come next year with a 10kg bag of tools and parts! ;)

branded <[email protected]> wrote:

> Shame about the headwind along the coast. Just for interest, today the
> Met station at Bellambi recorded a consistent SSW wind averaging 37-52
> kph (20-28 knots) but gusting up to 74 kph (40 knots).
>
> Explains why those riding back to Sydney seemed so happy. Just hope it
> hasn't put off the first timers!

Are you suggesting that next year we should have the MS Gong-Sydney
challenge?
--

In aus.bicycle on Sun, 05 Nov 2006 21:42:23 +0800
Vincent Patrick <[email protected]> wrote:
> Zebee Johnstone wrote:
>> Never rode it as much as I ride this. Never hopped on it for a ride
>> because I was bored, never decided to ride it instead of the
>> motorcycle.

> I have rarely been bored - if the physical effort and scenery isn't enough,
> there's always been a puncture, an obstacle, or a motorist somewhere
> willing to add a dash of excitement.

Eh? "never hopped on it for a ride because I was bored" is about why
to ride, not what happens when you do.

> Did you have a real road bike, or was it one of those MTB or hybrid things?
> {mutters as he puts on flameproof knicks, here I go again}

Over time I've had both. I actually had a better time on the MTB than
on either road bike. THe road bikes were faster ain't no doubt, the
MTB was more comfortable and I felt better in traffic because I was
more upright.

And another mark for the bent - I'm not staring at the road in front
of me, I'm able to relax and look around. If you haven't tried it,
you should.

Zebee

In aus.bicycle on Sun, 05 Nov 2006 15:13:53 GMT
Artoi <[email protected]> wrote:
> I was eagle eyed too along the way. But I have to say, the whole route
> was pretty clean compared to regular Sun rides to Waterfall. Did the
> local councils do a sweep just before the ride or did the wind and rain
> last night clear it all?

The punctures I helped with weren't glass but teeny spiky things.
Small bits of metal I think.

Zebee

In aus.bicycle on Sun, 05 Nov 2006 15:15:21 GMT
Artoi <[email protected]> wrote:

> Well, let's just say the ride was very educational for that rider. I am
> sure he'll come next year with a 10kg bag of tools and parts! ;)

I did note there was a wide range of things brought.

There were the experienced roadies who did this every day. They had
either 2 water bottles and everything else in the jersey and wedge under
the seat with the pump under the top tube, or a camelbak and wedge with
the pump strapped to the camelbak. I did see a few with the seat wedge
and no pump. I figured (hoped) they were riding in a team with someone
who did have one.

Then there were the ones with fairly full backpacks, many of whom
seemed to be regretting it by Baldy!

And the ones with two large full panniers. Never did work out what
they thought they needed in there. The ones on the tandem towing
the kid in the trailer OK, but solo? I did rather like the tall fit
bod on the large roadbike with the two very low slung front panniers.
"Pilot to supplies, do you read?"

I'll be able to do it with the seatback bag, and probably even shed a
kg or two as I won't need the street directory or the lock :) Might
have to make it up with chocolate bars. They have to work, I saw a
couple of the fast guys at the front eating them!

Zebee

Zebee Johnstone said:
In aus.bicycle on Sun, 05 Nov 2006 15:15:21 GMT
Artoi <[email protected]> wrote:

> Well, let's just say the ride was very educational for that rider. I am
> sure he'll come next year with a 10kg bag of tools and parts! ;)

I did note there was a wide range of things brought.

There were the experienced roadies who did this every day. They had
either 2 water bottles and everything else in the jersey and wedge under
the seat with the pump under the top tube, or a camelbak and wedge with
the pump strapped to the camelbak. I did see a few with the seat wedge
and no pump. I figured (hoped) they were riding in a team with someone
who did have one.
<snip>

It's possible to get pumps that will easily fit in a jersey pocket and a couple of CO2 canisters will fit in seat bag. So they may have been carrying.

Zebee Johnstone wrote:

> In aus.bicycle on Sun, 05 Nov 2006 21:42:23 +0800
> Vincent Patrick <[email protected]> wrote:
>> Zebee Johnstone wrote:
>>> Never rode it as much as I ride this. Never hopped on it for a ride
>>> because I was bored, never decided to ride it instead of the
>>> motorcycle.

>> I have rarely been bored - if the physical effort and scenery isn't
>> enough, there's always been a puncture, an obstacle, or a motorist
>> somewhere willing to add a dash of excitement.

> Eh? "never hopped on it for a ride because I was bored" is about why
> to ride, not what happens when you do.
>
>> Did you have a real road bike, or was it one of those MTB or hybrid
>> things?
>> {mutters as he puts on flameproof knicks, here I go again}

> Over time I've had both. I actually had a better time on the MTB than
> on either road bike. THe road bikes were faster ain't no doubt, the
> MTB was more comfortable and I felt better in traffic because I was
> more upright.
>
> And another mark for the bent - I'm not staring at the road in front
> of me, I'm able to relax and look around. If you haven't tried it,
> you should.
>
> Zebee

There's a 'high' bent I see near my work, which is possibly like yours. It
would certainly be interesting to try.

Holds out silver cross at arm's length in front of chest.
No ... must ... resist ...

Cheers,

Vince

Artoi wrote:

> In article <[email protected]>,
> beerwolf <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> There was an interesting mix of cycles. Was very impressed with the
>> three seat tandem, pedalled by a dad and his 2 daughters. Missed the
>> hand cranked trike - would have liked to see that. I did see two Birdys
>> (Birdies?). Full marks to both riders - I love my Birdy, but would'nt
>> want to ride it that far.

> The best I saw was the hippie guy on a 70/80s kid bike, you know, the
> chopper kind with those long padded seat (won't even call it a saddle).
> I passed him on the downward run of Captain Cook Br. I wondered if he
> made made it to the finish.
> --

Ah, the wonderful banana seat. I had one as a kid. It looked all plush and
comfortable, until you tried to ride on it.

Cheers,

Vince

Artoi said:
In article <[email protected]>,

The best I saw was the hippie guy on a 70/80s kid bike, you know, the
chopper kind with those long padded seat (won't even call it a saddle).
I passed him on the downward run of Captain Cook Br. I wondered if he
made made it to the finish.
--

He's a regular (or at least last time I did he was there also). I passed him this time somewhere after Coal Cliff.

Zebee Johnstone wrote:

> And the ones with two large full panniers.

It is a good way to kick off your ride down the south coast or, I guess
to go visit people down that way for a full day.

OTOH, some peeps have to watch their health and given changable can
carry clothes for all conditions (just a guess).

Of course, I always throw in the trangia for a brew up at various scenic
spots along the route {:).

In article <[email protected]>,
Zebee Johnstone <[email protected]> wrote:

> Then there were the ones with fairly full backpacks, many of whom
> seemed to be regretting it by Baldy!
>
> And the ones with two large full panniers. Never did work out what
> they thought they needed in there. The ones on the tandem towing
> the kid in the trailer OK, but solo? I did rather like the tall fit
> bod on the large roadbike with the two very low slung front panniers.
> "Pilot to supplies, do you read?"
>
> Zebee

Zebee,

Add my thanks to you and the other volunteers.
I was heading down the hill from Waterfall as you were heading up.

My only observation about the ride, which I found easy as it followed
only a couple of weeks after Around The Bay 250km, was that a higher
percentage of road-bike riders had some concept of riding in a (loose)
group whereas the MTB and 'other' riders wandered all over the road. At
least that kept my concentration levels up.

This was my first ride over the Sea Bridge and I was impressed with the
engineering and the view but not the head-wind.

Coming down from Stanwell Tops there was a young bloke on a MTB and his
brakes were squealing like a banshee. Everyone in front of him was
hoping he could keep his forward momentum under control or, if he
didn't, that he would not select them to arrest his progress.

cheers,
Darryl

Zebee Johnstone wrote:
> Well my day consisted of back and forth from Waterfall more or less
> providing a visible idea of how fast was sensible on the descents.
> Which some people ignored who they had the skills, and some ignored
> who didn't.... Not sure of the total number of offs in that area,
> more than 3 I believe.

Does anyone know what delayed the start from Heathcote, two ambulances
in the end turned up and left at the new start time, 8:20

Other than that, a fairly hard ride for me, the winds on the last
stretch, 15 km or so were evil

Owen

In article <[email protected]>,
"Owen" <[email protected]> wrote:

> Does anyone know what delayed the start from Heathcote, two ambulances
> in the end turned up and left at the new start time, 8:20
>
> Other than that, a fairly hard ride for me, the winds on the last
> stretch, 15 km or so were evil

Someone said in another thread the guys suffered a "heart attack" or
something rendering him unconscious.

Darryl C <[email protected]> wrote:

> This was my first ride over the Sea Bridge and I was impressed with the
> engineering and the view but not the head-wind.

I hardly have any recollection of that bridge apart from the black
tarmac and wind. Fighting the wind so hard, I couldn't even dare to take
my eyes off the road and surrounding riders for a second. I'll have to
take a drive at some stage to enjoy the scenery.