Sydney to Woolongong

Discussion in 'Australia and New Zealand' started by Strex, Feb 18, 2004.

  1. Strex

    Strex Guest

    My god how many of you ride this route .. I drove my 1964 Type 3 Volkswagen to Bulli on Sunday
    morning .. I've never seen so many cyclist on the road in my life .. I gotta get me a road bike!

    Lex

    Tags:

  2. Andrew Swan

    Andrew Swan Guest

    Strex wrote:
    > My god how many of you ride this route .. I drove my 1964 Type 3 Volkswagen to Bulli on Sunday
    > morning .. I've never seen so many cyclist on the road in my life .. I gotta get me a road bike!
    >
    > Lex

    Yep, Sunday morning can be huge, as I've recently found out. Normally my three friends and I ride to
    and through the RNP, then catch the train back from either Waterfall or Sutherland, to avoid the
    worst of the traffic and the airport tunnel. But if you just go to Waterfall and then turn around,
    you can find yourself in a bunch of 70-80 cyclists heading back through Brighton, etc. Hats off to
    the Sunday morning drivers for their patience, because it must take them ages to turn left when
    there are *that* many cyclists in the left hand lane. Not that we don't have a right to be there
    etc... (hope I haven't started the wrong kind of thread here). But yes, it is a real buzz to be part
    of something so big
    - it looks like an organised event but it's just a bunch of small groups (like my club) that end up
    all clumping together.

    &roo

  3. Jeff Jones

    Jeff Jones Guest

    "Andrew Swan" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Strex wrote:
    > > My god how many of you ride this route .. I drove my 1964 Type 3
    Volkswagen
    > > to Bulli on Sunday morning .. I've never seen so many cyclist on the
    road in
    > > my life .. I gotta get me a road bike!
    > >
    > > Lex
    >
    > Yep, Sunday morning can be huge, as I've recently found out. Normally my three friends and I ride
    > to and through the RNP, then catch the train back from either Waterfall or Sutherland, to avoid
    > the worst of the traffic and the airport tunnel. But if you just go to Waterfall and then turn
    > around, you can find yourself in a bunch of 70-80 cyclists heading back through Brighton, etc.
    > Hats off to the Sunday morning drivers for their patience, because it must take them ages to turn
    > left when there are *that* many cyclists in the left hand lane. Not that we don't have a right to
    > be there etc... (hope I haven't started the wrong kind of thread here). But yes, it is a real buzz
    > to be part of something so big
    > - it looks like an organised event but it's just a bunch of small groups (like my club) that end
    > up all clumping together.

    It's gotten a lot bigger in the past few years I've noticed, which is a good thing. I went out on a
    Sunday ride in January - I started with Randwick and we were caught by Easts and another bunch. It
    ended up being well over 100 riders, perhaps as many as 150, as I could look back and forward and
    have trouble seeing the ends. It didn't last long though, because someone in Easts punctured just
    before Taren Pt bridge and their whole pack stopped (which kind of surprised me).

    It was nice while it lasted though. Not too many cars on Sunday morning anyway.

    Jeff