TdF ads, a lot less offensive than last year

Bleve

Guest
Ok, Graham Gate and his Southbank food court is still annoying, and
SBS doesn't 'get' that the interesting part of a flat stage is the
start, when the breaks form, and the last hour when the pace is on and
the escape has a chance (I thought last night's break had a chance,
when the weather closed in, but it was not to be), not the 3 hours in
between when nothing happens. If they showed the first hour, or at
least, highlights from it (easy to do?) that'd be a big plus.

But at least this year the ads are a lot less annoying - no more of
that 'skins' snake oil (bio-accelerating your cash into their pockets
for a fancy pair of surgical stockings ...) or the uber-annoying
Avanti ad (this year's Avanti ad is a lot less annoying, so far at
least :) ). The SBS 'cycling related products' is a funny one, at
least it is in week one, but this year's Renault ad is boring.

I think the fact that there is a few more than just the same 4 adds over and over seems to break them up a little. All that said however, its only been 3 nights out of 21 :p

Ash

Bleve said:
Ok, Graham Gate and his Southbank food court is still annoying, and
SBS doesn't 'get' that the interesting part of a flat stage is the
start, when the breaks form, and the last hour when the pace is on and
the escape has a chance (I thought last night's break had a chance,
when the weather closed in, but it was not to be), not the 3 hours in
between when nothing happens. If they showed the first hour, or at
least, highlights from it (easy to do?) that'd be a big plus.

But at least this year the ads are a lot less annoying - no more of
that 'skins' snake oil (bio-accelerating your cash into their pockets
for a fancy pair of surgical stockings ...) or the uber-annoying
Avanti ad (this year's Avanti ad is a lot less annoying, so far at
least :) ). The SBS 'cycling related products' is a funny one, at
least it is in week one, but this year's Renault ad is boring.

last year i was watching the Tour in Europe (Tourmelet stage live!!) and even there, the coverage only started in the afternoon and always missed the start. I'm not sure if it is televised anywhere.

On Jul 10, 9:04 am, ProfTournesol <ProfTournesol.2th...@no-
mx.forums.cyclingforums.com> wrote:

> last year i was watching the Tour in Europe (Tourmelet stage live!!)
> and even there, the coverage only started in the afternoon and always
> missed the start. I'm not sure if it is televised anywhere.
>
> --
> ProfTournesol

Does anyone here have a satellite dish set up?

I wonder if the live feed is being broadcast on one of the Optus
satellites? e.g. http://www.lyngsat.com/optusb3.html

Now that would be worth forking out some $$ for!

alex

On Jul 10, 11:31 am, alex <[email protected]> wrote:
> On Jul 10, 9:04 am, ProfTournesol <ProfTournesol.2th...@no-
>
> mx.forums.cyclingforums.com> wrote:
> > last year i was watching the Tour in Europe (Tourmelet stage live!!)
> > and even there, the coverage only started in the afternoon and always
> > missed the start. I'm not sure if it is televised anywhere.

> > --
> > ProfTournesol

> Does anyone here have a satellite dish set up?
>
> I wonder if the live feed is being broadcast on one of the Optus
> satellites? e.g.http://www.lyngsat.com/optusb3.html
>
> Now that would be worth forking out some $$ for!
>
> alex

I'm set up for Optus b3. I'll try to pick up the SBS feed tonight, see
if it works. I think it's just like the TV, only in digital quality.
That's if I am reading yourpost correctly. It's quite possible that my
knowledge base is limited in such things.

Brendo

On Mon, 09 Jul 2007 17:48:32 -0700, Bleve wrote:

> But at least this year the ads are a lot less annoying - no more of
> that 'skins' snake oil (bio-accelerating your cash into their pockets
> for a fancy pair of surgical stockings ...) or the uber-annoying
> Avanti ad (this year's Avanti ad is a lot less annoying, so far at
> least :) ). The SBS 'cycling related products' is a funny one, at
> least it is in week one, but this year's Renault ad is boring.

I've come to regard the challenge of sitting through the same handful
of crappy ads over and over and Zen-like periods of nothing happening as
part of the act of devotion, like staying up to see the finish even when I
know I'm only going to get 5 of sleep. Again.

Cheer up, mountains soon :)

On Jul 10, 11:49 am, Brendo <[email protected]> wrote:

> I'm set up for Optus b3. I'll try to pick up the SBS feed tonight, see
> if it works. I think it's just like the TV, only in digital quality.
> That's if I am reading yourpost correctly. It's quite possible that my
> knowledge base is limited in such things.
>
> Brendo

You are reading the post correctly :)

On Tue, 10 Jul 2007 14:05:12 +0930, Michael Warner wrote:

> I've come to regard the challenge of sitting through the same handful
> of crappy ads over and over and Zen-like periods of nothing happening as
> part of the act of devotion, like staying up to see the finish even when I
> know I'm only going to get 5 of sleep. Again.

Get yourself a DVR of some description. Not only can you have a relatively
normal sleep cycle (get up early and watch it seems to work better for me,
though ATM I don't have to even do that - unemployment has its
advantages), but there are two fabulous buttons: 30s skip and 10 minute
skip. You can also have it running at a higher speed on some models.

Obviously I'm not a hard core enough roadie since I won't stay up to blear
o'clock each night, but that's OK. I only watch Le Tour for the articles.

--
Dave Hughes | [email protected]
Against boredom, the Gods themselves struggle in vain.

ProfTournesol said:
last year i was watching the Tour in Europe (Tourmelet stage live!!) and even there, the coverage only started in the afternoon and always missed the start. I'm not sure if it is televised anywhere.

Yeah, I record the live British Eurosport coverage with my Sky+ box and the format is:

1hr: sit in studio talking bollocks
100k to go: switch to race
or something like that.

There's also nightly highlights on British Eurosport (Duffield) and ITV4 (Liggett & Sherwin)

hippy

This is an email I sent to SBS a couple of weeks ago

Hello cyclingcentral,

while waiting with baited breath for Le Tour to start, I notice that the
schedule for 8 July has not been posted. Is there any chance we'll see le
grand depart in full, or will you join some time into the race. A full
stage would be nice.

Regards
This is the reply:

Hi Richard,

SBS coverage of the prologue on July 7 starts at 11.50pm. Pictures are not made available by the host broadcaster any earlier.
Regardless, you'll NOT miss any of the main players expected to win the race-against-the clock.

Enjoy the Tour.

Mike Tomalaris
SBS
From the mouth (keyboard) of the great man himself! (although he mixed up prologue and stage 1)

So it does seem as if full stages are not avaiable. I agree a first hour/last hour show would be nice.

Bleve said:
But at least this year the ads are a lot less annoying - no more of
that 'skins' snake oil (bio-accelerating your cash into their pockets
for a fancy pair of surgical stockings ...) or the uber-annoying
Avanti ad (this year's Avanti ad is a lot less annoying, so far at
least :) ). The SBS 'cycling related products' is a funny one, at
least it is in week one, but this year's Renault ad is boring.

You spoke too soon. I just saw an ad for stiffy problems.

On 10 Jul 2007 08:36:17 GMT, Dave wrote:

> Get yourself a DVR of some description. Not only can you have a relatively
> normal sleep cycle (get up early and watch it seems to work better for me,
> though ATM I don't have to even do that - unemployment has its
> advantages), but there are two fabulous buttons: 30s skip and 10 minute
> skip. You can also have it running at a higher speed on some models.

No, watching it live is essential, and I'm not a morning person, so getting
up early would be even worse.

gplama said:
You spoke too soon. I just saw an ad for stiffy problems.

Does nothing for me either.

Dislike the ad's for a certain place which is apparently "magical". I thought it was utterly shithouse place to grow up.

Breakaway approx 6mins.

On Jul 10, 11:12 pm, gplama <gplama.2ti...@no-
mx.forums.cyclingforums.com> wrote:
> Bleve Wrote:
>

> > But at least this year the ads are a lot less annoying - no more of
> > that 'skins' snake oil (bio-accelerating your cash into their pockets
> > for a fancy pair of surgical stockings ...) or the uber-annoying
> > Avanti ad (this year's Avanti ad is a lot less annoying, so far at
> > least :) ). The SBS 'cycling related products' is a funny one, at
> > least it is in week one, but this year's Renault ad is boring.

> You spoke too soon. I just saw an ad for stiffy problems.

SBS ... stiffy problems? Not late at night ... 'world movies' is
softcore pr0n

Dave wrote:

> Get yourself a DVR of some description. Not only can you have a
> relatively normal sleep cycle

Wouldn't have done you much good last night. If you had set the recorder for
the advertised period and gone to bed, you would have missed the last hour
of the stage.

Theo

On Wed, 11 Jul 2007 07:45:27 +0800, Theo Bekkers wrote:

> Wouldn't have done you much good last night. If you had set the recorder for
> the advertised period and gone to bed, you would have missed the last hour
> of the stage.

And wouldn't that have been a tragedy. What an amazing finish!

"a5hi5m" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> I think the fact that there is a few more than just the same 4 adds over
> and over seems to break them up a little. All that said however, its
> only been 3 nights out of 21 :p
>

> Ash
>

> --
> a5hi5m

That bloody floppy **** ad has me chaning the channel every time.

IMO SBS are managing their ads for 07TdeF well...

I did a frenzied remote shuffle the other night and caught "Sea Patrol" on Churnlenoin and couldnt believe the ads they crammed in...err the little amount of show in between ad segments..yuck... I was actually starting to get into the little bits of show but couldnt handle it when ads came back with a vengeance, they do these 10 & 15 second ads wham wham wham with no breathers and high volume, it was crazy maddening...anger building stuff...I hope they drop it and it goes over to Aunty... shades of "Patrol Boat"...always enjoyed that....something about tootling around warm oceans in boats...bit like riding a bike..freedom, refreshing and adrenalin secreting...

Stage 13... bring it on!

I'm surprised that given the demographic, they aren't using floppy **** anxiety to sell bike seats!

ProfTournesol said:
I'm surprised that given the demographic, they aren't using floppy **** anxiety to sell bike seats!
It would appear that the penile dysfunction demographic and the cycling demographic overlap, at least in the eys of the marketing people.

Or perhaps "performance enhancing drugs" has more than one meaning.

I don't know, but I'm not impressed.

SteveA