Test-riding a folding bike

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Nick Kew, Feb 19, 2005.

  1. Nick Kew

    Nick Kew Guest

    OK, this has been on the wishlist for some time. Now I want a folding
    bike, by the very latest in time to take it with me to a conference in
    May[1].

    I have two LBSs. Either of them can order a folder. But neither have
    a stock that would enable me to test-ride. Ideally I'd like something
    that rides like a tourer (on-road, at least) including luggage capacity,
    copes OK with hills (Dartmoor, where I live), and is no hassle to take
    on public transport. I really don't fancy buying mail-order:
    a test ride first is far too important.

    Is there anywhere I can go - accessible from near Tavistock - that
    actually has folding bikes in stock and available for test-riding?

    [1] Xtech 2005, Amsterdam, where I will be speaking on the subject
    of Apache as a native platform for XML applications on the Web.

    --
    Nick Kew

    Tags:

  2. Tony Raven

    Tony Raven Guest

    Nick Kew wrote:
    > OK, this has been on the wishlist for some time. Now I want a folding
    > bike, by the very latest in time to take it with me to a conference in
    > May[1].
    >
    > I have two LBSs. Either of them can order a folder. But neither have
    > a stock that would enable me to test-ride. Ideally I'd like something
    > that rides like a tourer (on-road, at least) including luggage capacity,
    > copes OK with hills (Dartmoor, where I live), and is no hassle to take
    > on public transport. I really don't fancy buying mail-order:
    > a test ride first is far too important.
    >
    > Is there anywhere I can go - accessible from near Tavistock - that
    > actually has folding bikes in stock and available for test-riding?
    >
    > [1] Xtech 2005, Amsterdam, where I will be speaking on the subject
    > of Apache as a native platform for XML applications on the Web.

    Get thee up to Avon Valley Cycles behind Bath Spa Railway Station. They
    have the most comprehensive stock of folders of all types that I know.
    http://www.foldingbikes.co.uk

    Tony

  3. On Sat, 19 Feb 2005 18:18:14 +0000, Tony Raven <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    >Nick Kew wrote:
    >> Is there anywhere I can go - accessible from near Tavistock - that
    >> actually has folding bikes in stock and available for test-riding?

    >Get thee up to Avon Valley Cycles behind Bath Spa Railway Station. They
    >have the most comprehensive stock of folders of all types that I know.
    >http://www.foldingbikes.co.uk

    Seconded - AVC supplied my Dahon Speed TR. They were very friendly,
    trusted me to let me testride without having to leave a deposit, and
    the bloke who served me was very knowledgeable. A couple of questions
    stumped him, but rather than bluff the answer, he checked with the
    mechanics.

    Bike was checked over and ready for me to take away within a couple of
    hours - Just long enough to wander around Bath and have a nice lunch.

    Rich x

    --
    Jesus was apparently betrayed by 8.3% of his disciples.

  4. Kirby James

    Kirby James Guest

    >>Nick Kew wrote:
    >>
    >>>Is there anywhere I can go - accessible from near Tavistock - that
    >>>actually has folding bikes in stock and available for test-riding?

    The Bike Shed in Exeter has a range of Bromptons in stock (and allow
    test rides) - there is a branch in Credition - but I'm not sure whether
    they stock Bromptons.

    http://www.bikesheduk.com/main/index2.asp - follow contact us link

    Kirby

  5. David Wood

    David Wood Guest

    Anyone know which are the best (value) foldable bikes around - most people
    seem to use Brompton on my train.....

    "Kirby James" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    > The Bike Shed in Exeter has a range of Bromptons in stock (and allow test
    > rides) - there is a branch in Credition - but I'm not sure whether they
    > stock Bromptons.
    >
    > http://www.bikesheduk.com/main/index2.asp - follow contact us link
    >
    > Kirby

  6. Tony Raven

    Tony Raven Guest

    David Wood wrote:
    > Anyone know which are the best (value) foldable bikes around - most people
    > seem to use Brompton on my train.....

    What do you mean by best value? Best for what? There is a wide range
    of different folders with different strengths and weaknesses and what is
    best in any particular circumstances can be different. Brompton's are
    at their best if you are a train commuter and doing shortish distances
    around not too hilly places. For something for long distances, that you
    are not taking on packed rush hour trains, you might choose an Airnimal
    or a Bike Friday or a Birdy. Horses for courses and all that...

    Tony

  7. David Hansen

    David Hansen Guest

    On Sat, 19 Feb 2005 21:20:20 +0000 (UTC) someone who may be "David
    Wood" <[email protected]> wrote this:-

    >Anyone know which are the best (value) foldable bikes around

    That depends on what value you put on various factors. The A to B
    Magazine web site has a good comparison of most such bikes.

    prevents me by using the RIP Act 2000.

  8. On Sat, 19 Feb 2005 21:20:20 +0000 (UTC), "David Wood"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Anyone know which are the best (value) foldable bikes around - most people
    >seem to use Brompton on my train.....

    You can generally have a folder which is nice to ride OR quick to
    fold but not both. AIUI Brompton are quick to fold.

    --
    Jesus was apparently betrayed by 8.3% of his disciples.

  9. Tony Raven

    Tony Raven Guest

    Richard Bates wrote:

    > You can generally have a folder which is nice to ride OR quick to
    > fold but not both. AIUI Brompton are quick to fold.

    They are also great fun to ride - a bit like driving a mini (old style)
    there is just something grin inducing about riding one especially in
    traffic.

    Tony

  10. David Wood wrote:
    > Anyone know which are the best (value) foldable bikes around - most people
    > seem to use Brompton on my train.....

    Depends what you want to use it for. For sheer foldability, the Brommie
    still rules the roost. When I bought a folder, I was looking for
    something comfortable over longer distances while being compatible with
    all trains. I settled on the Dahon Speed TR (www.dahon.co.uk). You can
    find my "initial impressions" review here

    http://notonmywatch.blogs.com/not_on_my_watch/2005/01/dahon_speed_tr_.html

    I did 50 miles on mixed terrain (roads & tracks) just after Christmas
    without any problems.

  11. On Sat, 19 Feb 2005 18:18:14 +0000, Tony Raven <[email protected]>
    wrote in message <[email protected]>:

    >Get thee up to Avon Valley Cycles behind Bath Spa Railway Station.

    Thirded (or however many we've got to by now). A nice test ride along
    the Bristol-Bath trail awaits, with lunch at one of the many agreeable
    pubs along the way. Hang on, I'll get my bike...

    Don't forget to wave to Danny as he passes :)

    Guy
    --
    "then came ye chavves, theyre cartes girded wyth candels
    blue, and theyre beastes wyth straynge horn-lyke thyngs

  12. Paul Luton

    Paul Luton Guest

    In message <[email protected]>
    Nick Kew <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Is there anywhere I can go - accessible from near Tavistock - that
    > actually has folding bikes in stock and available for test-riding?

    Bromptons do take quite a bit of getting used to. (handle bars seem very
    wobbly at first) so a short test ride might put you off. After the first 20
    miles they feel equal but different.

    Paul.

    --
    CTC Right to Ride Representative for Richmond upon Thames

  13. On Sun, 20 Feb 2005 22:40:19 +0000, Nick Kew
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >> Thirded (or however many we've got to by now). A nice test ride along
    >> the Bristol-Bath trail awaits,

    >What's the good of that? Need at least something like up Combe Down/
    >Claverton Down, to see how it pedals on the up, and whether it feels
    >stable at speed on the downhill.

    Trust me, it is not very hard to find a hill in Bath ;-)

    >But anyway, it looks like Bath is the best answer to my question.
    >Bad timing though: my local connection in Bath emigrated in December.

    Bah!

    Guy
    http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk

    88% of helmet statistics are made up, 65% of them at CHS, Puget Sound