Thank goodness he had that 11 cog

Bob Schwartz

Guest
Jeff Jones <[email protected]> wrote:

> "Robert Chung" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]
> berlin.de...
>> http://www.velonews.com/diaries/rider/articles/6097-
>> .0.html
>>
> Interesting that he was clocked at "only" 55 km/h coming
> across the line too (according to the radar).

In a 54 X 11 you go 55 km/hr at 89 rpm. There are a lot of
shadows in the online video I get from La Gazzetta dello
Sport so you can't really get a sense of his cadence but
that's the correct cadence for a time trial, not a sprint.

So I am very skeptical that he was really in the 11.

Bob Schwartz [email protected]

Ewoud Dronkert

Guest
On Wed, 19 May 2004 23:18:23 +1000, Jeff Jones wrote:
> Interesting that he was clocked at "only" 55 km/h coming
> across the line too (according to the radar).

89 rpm is good enough, isn't it?

Richard Adams

Guest
"Robert Chung" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> http://www.velonews.com/diaries/rider/articles/6097.0.html

The 11 I would have expected.

Thank goodness he had the stamina to drive the pedals that
far and hold off a charging Alessandro. Fred looked like he
was running on fumes as he hit the line. From the heli shot
you could see Petacchi riding Fred's wheel before trying to
come around. A hell of a sprint and executed to perfection.

Gwhite

Guest
Ewoud Dronkert <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> On Wed, 19 May 2004 23:18:23 +1000, Jeff Jones wrote:
> > Interesting that he was clocked at "only" 55 km/h coming
> > across the line too (according to the radar).
>
> 89 rpm is good enough, isn't it?

Why not ask Koach Kunich? He'll know.

Dave H

Guest
"Bob Schwartz" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Jeff Jones <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > "Robert Chung" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]
> > berlin.de...
> >> http://www.velonews.com/diaries/rider/articles/6097.0-
> >> .html
> >>
> > Interesting that he was clocked at "only" 55 km/h coming
> > across the line
too
> > (according to the radar).
>
> In a 54 X 11 you go 55 km/hr at 89 rpm. There are a lot of
> shadows in the online video I get from La Gazzetta dello
> Sport so you can't really get a sense of his cadence but
> that's the correct cadence for a time trial, not a sprint.
>
> So I am very skeptical that he was really in the 11.
>
> Bob Schwartz [email protected]

Freddy was sloggin that gear, head pumping, lots of body
movement, it was an uphill sprint too.

Dave

Russ Baxter

Guest
Bob Schwartz <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> Jeff Jones <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > "Robert Chung" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]
> > berlin.de...
> >> http://www.velonews.com/diaries/rider/articles/6097.0-
> >> .html
> >>
> > Interesting that he was clocked at "only" 55 km/h coming
> > across the line too (according to the radar).
>
> In a 54 X 11 you go 55 km/hr at 89 rpm. There are a lot of
> shadows in the online video I get from La Gazzetta dello
> Sport so you can't really get a sense of his cadence but
> that's the correct cadence for a time trial, not a sprint.
>
> So I am very skeptical that he was really in the 11.
>
> Bob Schwartz [email protected]

I'm not. Have you ever tried to turn a 54x11 uphill against
the wind? Seems to me the cadence would not be real high
with such a big gear under those conditions.

Stewart Fleming

Guest
Bob Schwartz wrote:

> In a 54 X 11 you go 55 km/hr at 89 rpm. There are a lot of
> shadows in the online video I get from La Gazzetta dello
> Sport so you can't really

They should have used fill-in flash.

Bob Schwartz

Guest
Russ Baxter <[email protected]> wrote:
> Bob Schwartz <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:<[email protected]>...
>> Jeff Jones <[email protected]> wrote:
>>
>> > "Robert Chung" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]
>> > berlin.de...
>> >>
>> > Interesting that he was clocked at "only" 55 km/h
>> > coming across the line too (according to the radar).
>>
>> In a 54 X 11 you go 55 km/hr at 89 rpm. There are a lot
>> of shadows in the online video I get from La Gazzetta
>> dello Sport so you can't really get a sense of his
>> cadence but that's the correct cadence for a time trial,
>> not a sprint.
>>
>> So I am very skeptical that he was really in the 11.
>>
>> Bob Schwartz [email protected]

> I'm not. Have you ever tried to turn a 54x11 uphill
> against the wind? Seems to me the cadence would not be
> real high with such a big gear under those conditions.

My point is not that you would have to slog such a big gear
under those conditions. My point is that it is very unusual
to win a sprint by slogging a big gear.

I'm at a disadvantage in that we don't do cable so all I'm
going by is crappy web video. It is hard to make much out
because of the shadows. He does appear to be turning a
bigger gear than Petacchi.

Bob Schwartz [email protected]

Steve

Guest
On 5/19/04 1:01 PM, in article [email protected], "Bob
Schwartz" <[email protected]> wrote:

> Russ Baxter <[email protected]> wrote:
>> Bob Schwartz <[email protected]> wrote in message
>> news:<[email protected]>...

>>> In a 54 X 11 you go 55 km/hr at 89 rpm. There are a lot
>>> of shadows in the online video I get from La Gazzetta
>>> dello Sport so you can't really get a sense of his
>>> cadence but that's the correct cadence for a time trial,
>>> not a sprint.
>>>
>>> So I am very skeptical that he was really in the 11.
>>>
>>> Bob Schwartz [email protected]
>

>> I'm not. Have you ever tried to turn a 54x11 uphill
>> against the wind? Seems to me the cadence would not be
>> real high with such a big gear under those conditions.
>
> My point is not that you would have to slog such a big
> gear under those conditions. My point is that it is very
> unusual to win a sprint by slogging a big gear.
>
> I'm at a disadvantage in that we don't do cable so all I'm
> going by is crappy web video. It is hard to make much out
> because of the shadows. He does appear to be turning a
> bigger gear than Petacchi.
>
> Bob Schwartz [email protected]

You ALL must be kidding!! You are NUTZZ if you do not think
ALL in contention sprinters are not running an 11

Jiyang Chen

Guest
Fill in flash in a video? It would have to be a constant
flash that lasts for the duration of the sprint, and would
be so bright that the riders would be falling all over the
place (not necessarily a bad thing).

"Stewart Fleming" <[email protected]> wrote in
message news:[email protected]...

> Bob Schwartz wrote:
>
> > In a 54 X 11 you go 55 km/hr at 89 rpm. There are a lot
> > of shadows
in
> > the online video I get from La Gazzetta dello Sport so
> > you can't
really

> They should have used fill-in flash.

Tom Kunich

Guest
"Bob Schwartz" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> My point is not that you would have to slog such a big
> gear under those conditions. My point is that it is very
> unusual to win a sprint by slogging a big gear.

I think that Fred held speed more than sprinted. For all of
Petacchi's rather rude remarks about Velo, I think that
Marco was doing a good job considering the conditions and
that they were on the front for so long.

Bob Schwartz

Guest
Steve <[email protected]> wrote:

> You ALL must be kidding!! You are NUTZZ if you do not
> think ALL in contention sprinters are not running an 11

Well, even from the crappy web video it's pretty clear that
Petacchi is running higher rpm than Fred. So if Fred was in
the 11 then Petacchi couldn't have been.

Bob Schwartz [email protected]

Rob Knell

Guest
Ewoud Dronkert <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> On Wed, 19 May 2004 23:18:23 +1000, Jeff Jones wrote:
> > Interesting that he was clocked at "only" 55 km/h coming
> > across the line too (according to the radar).
>
> 89 rpm is good enough, isn't it?

I have the sprint on video. There's a helicopter shot of the
last bit of the sprint. I counted 20 pedal strokes in 13.5
seconds: 88.9 rpm. I guess he was using that 54X11.

Rob