The best cycling tips in the world...ever!

Experiment with your riding position.

Read all that you can about riding position (books from Burke, Hinault, Lemond, etc..), get a coach or shop to help fit you.

If you feel pain find out if it is related to position or overtraining. If it is related to riding position make needed corrections as soon as possible. I almost ended my cycling life early on by thinking that pain in my hip and knee were just the "price" for moving up the "Cat." ladder of racing. What I found out instead was that I had a leg length difference that needed correcting by using two different crank lengths (I now use two different pedals).

In a sprint, aim for a point about 20m beyond the finish line, not the finish line itself.

In a time trial, really concentrate on applying power smoothly, with your knee in to the top tube and body low. Ragged application of power really costs you time and even-ing out the same power throughout the pedal stroke keeps your HR lower and really is/does feel fractionally faster.

When cornering in a mountain decent, put your outside pedal down at the 6 o'clock position, and put your weight on the the outside pedal and the inside hand then look in the direction you want to go.

Don't train when your smashed (tired) or if you really don't want too!

Originally posted by big_h
Do not compete in races timed by Winningtime !!!!!!

... I second that Big_H.

Your stress levels won't be that high, blodd pressure will be lower.

When training, take more food and drink than you will need to make sure that you don't run out.

Got the bonk last week for the first time in a few years, not a nice experiance!!!

Here's three tips:

1) Don't make mechanical adjustments to your bike the day before a race. If it worked when you rode it last, it will work the same on race day. Washing the bike and lubing the chain should be all you do.

2) Never put on a new chain without putting on a new rear cog. The chain will slip nicely only under high tension, usually out of the saddle, which can cause great pain to certain parts of the body if contact with the top tube is made.

3) If you pick up a piece of glass or thorn and you know it has punctured your tube, leave it in until the tube goes flat. You might be able to finish your ride without having to change a flat. Pull out the object, and you will go flat in a minute or two.

Happy riding!!!

Want to climb better, faster. Loose weight, and a lot of it.

Sorry, but true

I would suggest lining cleats up as your old ones were. I recently replaced mine too, made the mistake of having them off some and paid dearly for about four days. As soon as I straightened them out correctly I was fine.

Its better to go into a race underdone, rather than overdone.

Concentrate on the weeks that really matter in your programe.

If you can't start intervals or speed work because of fatigue let it go and don't try and catch it up the next day.

Don't falter 3 weeks out to a big race, many start to get all negative..........!!

Especially for newer riders:

When you're learning to turn around and need to turn sharply, make sure your foot will come out of the pedals BEFORE starting to turn......and don't look down to see why it won't come out!

Road Rash.....no fun! Eating asphalt.........really no fun!

When cycling off road, don't grip the bars too tight - think paper cup sort of pressure - this will help you remain flexible and fluid on top of the bike.

Buy a track pump - they transform your life......

(spent 20 years pumping tyres with mini pumps - not fun)

Oh yeah - if you use energy bars, make sure they're not cold, they'll play havoc with your teeth and they'll wear your jaws out.