The Effects of Mountain Biking on Wildlife and People -- Why Off-Road Bicycling Should be Prohibited

S o r n i <[email protected]> wrote:
> davidmc wrote:
>> Mike Vandeman wrote:
>
> {I will snip it now -- see how that
> works?!??!?!?#(*&#$@*@!)}
>
>> unfortunately, brevity is not your "strong suit". R U
>> saying that U R against mountainbiking? Sacriledge!!!
>> Surely U jest, am i right? You may have thought this was
>> the Sierra Club forum ( a good org. which i support, by
>> the way ) but this is hardly the forum 4 this kind of
>> preaching, if i'm not mistaken. I wonder how many
>> mountainbikes it would take 2 match the footprint of a
>> Hummer- the governors. I think he has more than one.:mad:
>
> OK, let me get this straight: you RE-POST the eco-nut's
> ENTIRE DRIBBLY DIATRIBE, and then comment on his
> BREVITY?!?!?
>
> You, McSir, are an even bigger idiot than he.
>
> Bill "impressed, mightily" S.

I was gonna comment on the same thing earlier, but I knew I
had to live this one for you, Bill. I'm not even sure why I
even look at these MV threads anymore, sorta like not being
able to look away from the car wreck, even after you've seen
all you care to see.

Tom

On Thu, 24 Jun 2004 15:14:30 +0200, bomba <[email protected]> wrote:

.Mike Vandeman wrote: . .> God, you guys are SLOW! . .We're
not slow. We like to travel as fast as possible - it stops
us from .taking in the countryside properly and means we
don't have to react to .flora and fauna that get in our way.

Thanks for proving my point.
===
I am working on creating wildlife habitat that is off-limits
to humans ("pure habitat"). Want to help? (I spent the
previous 8 years fighting auto dependence and road
construction.)

http://home.pacbell.net/mjvande

On Fri, 25 Jun 2004 04:27:31 GMT, "Chris" <[email protected]> wrote:

.> .> Vandeman, Michael J., Ph.D. .>
http://www.imaja.com/change/environment/mvarticles/ .> .>
=== .> I am working on creating wildlife habitat that is off-
limits to .> humans ("pure habitat"). Want to help? (I spent
the previous 8 .> years fighting auto dependence and road
construction.) . .I am working on greating a newsgroup that
is off limits to Mike Vandeman. .Want to help?

It's already been done: rec.bicycles.off-road. It's
inhabited by about two people.
===
I am working on creating wildlife habitat that is off-limits
to humans ("pure habitat"). Want to help? (I spent the
previous 8 years fighting auto dependence and road
construction.)

http://home.pacbell.net/mjvande

On Thu, 24 Jun 2004 09:32:57 -0400, "Alpha Male" <[email protected]>
wrote:

.Mike. . .It's rather disappointing the someone with a PhD
would have nothing better .to do than stir up trouble in the
alt.mountain-bike newsgroup. Considering .you are university
educated, you would think that you would understand the
.consept of tact. Instead of simply throwing a clump of mud
in everyone face

Interesting -- when someone tells the truth about mountain
biking, you see that as "mud". Thanks for proving my point:
mountain bikers don't want the truth about their selfish,
destructive sport to be told.

.and seeing what they do about it, why didn't you try to
stimulate some .dialog on this issue? Instead you simply
attack everyone with one broad .sweep. You undermined your
own credibility. . .Likely everyone will retaliate with
defensive attacks and nothing will be .accomplished.
Obviously, you are more interested in our reaction than the
.actual topic you (apparently) are presenting. . .None the
less, this is my viewpoint on the matter. Mountain bikers
are .law-abiding, mostly conscious people. For myself, at
least, I bike only in .areas where mountain biking is
clearly allowed. I have never once gone "Off .Roading" in
National/Provincial (State) parks. I try to stay on the
trail .the best I can, and am always concious of pedestrians
on the trail. Anyone .that steps beyond these bounds
probably doesn't represent the majority of .mountain bikers.

You completely missed the point. Even "law-abiding" mountain
biking is very destructive to wildlife and people.

.That being said, you should be approaching the people who
regulate access to .natural places, not the people who use
these natural areas. What you appear .to be doing is trying
to get people to self-monitor their actions, which .they are
not equipped to do.

You can't control yourself? Interesting.

I am a mountain biker who enjoys nature, I am .not
education in nature presevation and/or conservation.

Obviously.

I depend on the .designate authorities to tell me where I
should and should not mountain .bike. Since I don't study
soil erosion, animal habitats, or plant foliage, .I cannot
tell if I am having an overly harmful effect on nature. I
do not .understand the total implication of my actions,
hence I depend on those .empowered to do so.

Then you need to read my paper.

.If you feel that there are too many people in too many
natural places, I .suggest you approach the parks service,
or whoever is in a position of .authority, and have them
restrict access to natural places. Don't go and .flame the
people using those natural places. . .Note: If you wanted to
prevent accidents on the highway because you felt .that the
posted speed limits were too high, you wouldn't go an attack
the .people who were driving within those speed limits. No,
you would approach .the DOT and ask them to reconsider the
legal posted limits, and possibly .lowering that limit. .
.Throwing mud in here will get you nowhere, and as I stated
before, it'll .only make you look bad.

And I should care why?

.Alpha Male . . . ."Mike Vandeman" <[email protected]>
wrote in message
.news:[email protected]... .> On
Wed, 23 Jun 2004 10:50:19 -0700, "cc" <[email protected]>
wrote: .> .> .> .> .> >Being an educated person I presume
that you are fluent in the ways .> .> >of forum etiquette
and as such know that spamming is poor form on .> .> >any
forum. .> .> > .> .> .> .> Being an educated person, you
should know that this is not a "forum", .it's .> .a .> .>
"newsgroup". Further, he is not spamming (has nothing to
sell), he is .> .just .> .> being a PITA. .> .> .> .

.> .mountain biking is detrimental to the environment. .> .>
alt.mountain-bike: there's no indication of that, nor is
there a FAQ .dictating .> that. You are LYING, as usual.
This newsgroup is for discussing mountain .biking. .>
Period. You are all wet. .> .> This is where people who .>
.have made the decision to mountain bike come to talk about
the sport they .> .love. I don't plan on walking into Mike
Vandeman's living room, where he .may .> .be talking with
his friends (?!) about <insert Vandeman hobby here> and

.place. .> . .> .Regardless, as someone else mentioned, I
think it obvious that a dialogue .> .would be infinitely
more constructive. .> . .> .> === .> I am working on
creating wildlife habitat that is off-limits to .> humans
("pure habitat"). Want to help? (I spent the previous 8 .>
years fighting auto dependence and road construction.) .> .>
http://home.pacbell.net/mjvande .

===
I am working on creating wildlife habitat that is off-limits
to humans ("pure habitat"). Want to help? (I spent the
previous 8 years fighting auto dependence and road
construction.)

http://home.pacbell.net/mjvande

On Sat, 26 Jun 2004 00:21:05 -0400, "tcmedara" <[email protected]>
wrote:

[...]

Mountain bikers havd no self-control, or they wouldn't
be addicted.

.Tom .

===
I am working on creating wildlife habitat that is off-limits
to humans ("pure habitat"). Want to help? (I spent the
previous 8 years fighting auto dependence and road
construction.)

http://home.pacbell.net/mjvande

> On Sat, 26 Jun 2004 00:21:05 -0400, "tcmedara"
<[email protected]>
> wrote:
>
> .S o r n i <[email protected]> wrote: .> davidmc
> wrote: .>> Mike Vandeman wrote: .> .> {I will snip it now
> -- see how that works?!??!?!?#(*&#$@*@!)} .> .>>
> unfortunately, brevity is not your "strong suit". R U
> saying that U R .>> against mountainbiking? Sacriledge!!!
> Surely U jest, am i right? You .>> may have thought this
> was the Sierra Club forum ( a good org. which i .>>
> support, by the way ) but this is hardly the forum 4 this
> kind of .>> preaching, if i'm not mistaken. I wonder how
> many mountainbikes it .>> would take 2 match the footprint
> of a Hummer- the governors. I think .>> he has .>> more
> than one.:mad: .> .> OK, let me get this straight: you RE-
> POST the eco-nut's ENTIRE .> DRIBBLY DIATRIBE, and then
> comment on his BREVITY?!?!? .> .> You, McSir, are an even
> bigger idiot than he. .> .> Bill "impressed, mightily" S.
> . .I was gonna comment on the same thing earlier, but I
> knew I had to live
this
> .one for you, Bill. I'm not even sure why I even look at
> these MV threads .anymore, sorta like not being able to
> look away from the car wreck, even .after you've seen all
> you care to see.
>
> Mountain bikers havd no self-control, or they wouldn't be
> addicted.

I'm not sure exactly who you think you are, but it must hard
to make friends when you are clearly so superior to
everybody.

It's too bad, Mike. Not just for you. I mean, you obviously
are in a bad place if you continue to post here. You must
realize that you're not reaching anybody, yet you continue.
Which means that you really don't have anything better to
do, enjoy the abuse, or like patronizing others to make
yourself feel better.

I think the worst part, though, is that your ilk give
environmental advocates a bad name. I am a very green
person, and believe you are truly destructive to the goals
of those who seek positive reform through the promotion of
awareness. It's amazing that this is (supposedly) what you
care about, yet your actions are free of understanding or
compassion. Being a reactionary (or fascist, more like it)
clearly isn't progressive.

Have you ever tried responding to any of these emails (aka
"opening a dialogue") rather than just deriding them?

cc

In article <[email protected]>,
"cc" <[email protected]> wrote (referring to "mikey":

> I'm not sure exactly who you think you are, but it must
> hard to make friends when you are clearly so superior to
> everybody.

It's a wonder mikey can get his head through the doorway,
his head is so inflated!

> It's too bad, Mike. Not just for you. I mean, you
> obviously are in a bad place if you continue to post here.
> You must realize that you're not reaching anybody, yet you
> continue. Which means that you really don't have anything
> better to do, enjoy the abuse, or like patronizing others
> to make yourself feel better.

Maybe that's an old habit from playing "the game" when mikey
was a member of the Synanon cult.

> I think the worst part, though, is that your ilk give
> environmental advocates a bad name. I am a very green
> person, and believe you are truly destructive to the goals
> of those who seek positive reform through the promotion of
> awareness. It's amazing that this is (supposedly) what you
> care about, yet your actions are free of understanding or
> compassion. Being a reactionary (or fascist, more like it)
> clearly isn't progressive.

It's absurd. Take a moment to read the WWC dictionary
referenced in my sig.

> Have you ever tried responding to any of these emails (aka
> "opening a dialogue") rather than just deriding them?

Uh, no. Opening a dialog would involve opening his mind. If
you observe mikey long enough, you come to realize his mind
is not only closed, but the lock is rusted, and the key has
long ago been discarded.

TD

--
[email protected] World Without Cars Dictionary of
Vandemisms (2001) is available at:

Mike Vandeman wrote:
> On Thu, 24 Jun 2004 15:14:30 +0200, bomba
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> .Mike Vandeman wrote: . .> God, you guys are SLOW! .
> .We're not slow. We like to travel as fast as possible -
> it stops us from .taking in the countryside properly and
> means we don't have to react to .flora and fauna that get
> in our way.
>
> Thanks for proving my point.

Dammit, Bomba, now you've done it. We had him on the ropes
before that...

Bill "wonder which 'Whoosh!' is louder: our flying knobbies
or Mike not getting sarcams?" S.

On Sat, 26 Jun 2004 01:20:01 -0700, "cc" <[email protected]> wrote:

. ."Mike Vandeman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
.news:[email protected]... .> On
Sat, 26 Jun 2004 00:21:05 -0400, "tcmedara"
.<[email protected]> .> wrote: .> .> .S o r n i <sorni@bite-
me.san.rr.com> wrote: .> .> davidmc wrote: .> .>> Mike
[...]
be addicted. .> . .I'm not sure exactly who you think you
are, but it must hard to make friends .when you are clearly
so superior to everybody.

I'm not the least bit superior. I just tell the truth,
something you should try.

.It's too bad, Mike. Not just for you. I mean, you obviously
are in a bad .place if you continue to post here. You must
realize that you're not .reaching anybody, yet you continue.
Which means that you really don't have .anything better to
do, enjoy the abuse, or like patronizing others to make
.yourself feel better. . .I think the worst part, though, is
that your ilk give environmental .advocates a bad name. I am
a very green person,

How do you express that? By MOUNTAIN BIKING????

and believe you are truly .destructive to the goals of those
who seek positive reform through the .promotion of
awareness. It's amazing that this is (supposedly) what you
care .about, yet your actions are free of understanding or
compassion. Being a .reactionary (or fascist, more like it)
clearly isn't progressive. . .Have you ever tried responding
to any of these emails (aka "opening a .dialogue") rather
than just deriding them?

What do you think I am doing?!

.cc .

===

On Sat, 26 Jun 2004 14:42:38 GMT, Trekkie Dad <[email protected]> wrote:

.In article <[email protected]>,
. "cc" <[email protected]> wrote (referring to "mikey": .
.> I'm not sure exactly who you think you are, but it must
hard to make friends .> when you are clearly so superior
to everybody. . .It's a wonder mikey can get his head
through the doorway, his head is so .inflated! . .> .>
It's too bad, Mike. Not just for you. I mean, you
obviously are in a bad .> place if you continue to post
here. You must realize that you're not .> reaching
anybody, yet you continue. Which means that you really
don't have .> anything better to do, enjoy the abuse, or
like patronizing others to make .> yourself feel better.
.> .Maybe that's an old habit from playing "the game" when
mikey was a .member of the Synanon cult. . .> I think the
worst part, though, is that your ilk give environmental .>
advocates a bad name. I am a very green person, and
believe you are truly .> destructive to the goals of those
who seek positive reform through the .> promotion of
awareness. It's amazing that this is (supposedly) what you
care .> about, yet your actions are free of understanding
or compassion. Being a .> reactionary (or fascist, more
like it) clearly isn't progressive. .> .It's absurd. Take
a moment to read the WWC dictionary referenced in my .sig.
. .> Have you ever tried responding to any of these emails
(aka "opening a .> dialogue") rather than just deriding
them? . .Uh, no. Opening a dialog would involve opening
his mind. If you observe .mikey long enough, you come to
realize his mind is not only closed, but .the lock is
rusted, and the key has long ago been discarded.

We psychologists call that "Projection".

.TD

===
I am working on creating wildlife habitat that is off-limits
to humans ("pure habitat"). Want to help? (I spent the
previous 8 years fighting auto dependence and road
construction.)

http://home.pacbell.net/mjvande

In article <[email protected]>,
Mike Vandeman <[email protected]> wrote:

> .Uh, no. Opening a dialog would involve opening his mind.
> If you observe .mikey long enough, you come to realize his
> mind is not only closed, but .the lock is rusted, and the
> key has long ago been discarded.
>
> We psychologists call that "Projection".

Yet another predictable response--so far gone you don't
recognize the trait in yourself. (Maybe it's an aftereffect
from the brainwashing.)

And while we're on the subject of psychology--despite the
degree you hold, you are not licensed to practice psychology
(at least not in the state of California where you reside).
Don't pretend to be something that you're not.

TD--not going to play "the game"

--
[email protected] World Without Cars Dictionary of
Vandemisms (2001) is available at:
http://trekkiedad.freeservers.com/wwc.html ICQ# available
on request

On Sun, 27 Jun 2004 01:47:57 GMT, Trekkie Dad <[email protected]> wrote:

.In article <[email protected]>,
. Mike Vandeman <[email protected]> wrote: . .> .Uh, no.
Opening a dialog would involve opening his mind. If you
observe .> .mikey long enough, you come to realize his
mind is not only closed, but .> .the lock is rusted, and
the key has long ago been discarded. .> .> We
psychologists call that "Projection". . .Yet another
predictable response--so far gone you don't recognize
the .trait in yourself. (Maybe it's an aftereffect from
the brainwashing.) . .And while we're on the subject of
psychology--despite the degree you .hold, you are not
licensed to practice psychology (at least not in the
.state of California where you reside). Don't pretend to
be something .that you're not. . .TD--not going to play
"the game"

Then what's the matter? Filter broken? Until you start
to tell the truth, you will continue to be a bit player
and a ZERO.
===
[...]

Last I looked, one doesn't need a license to tell the truth.
You should try it some time.
===
I am working on creating wildlife habitat that is off-limits
to humans ("pure habitat"). Want to help? (I spent the
previous 8 years fighting auto dependence and road
construction.)

http://home.pacbell.net/mjvande

In article <[email protected]>,
Mike Vandeman <[email protected]> wrote:

> On Sun, 27 Jun 2004 01:47:57 GMT, Trekkie Dad
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> .In article <[email protected]>,
> . Mike Vandeman <[email protected]> wrote: . .> .Uh, no.
> Opening a dialog would involve opening his mind. If you
> observe .> .mikey long enough, you come to realize his
> mind is not only closed, but .> .the lock is rusted, and
> the key has long ago been discarded. .> .> We
> psychologists call that "Projection". . .Yet another
> predictable response--so far gone you don't recognize
> the .trait in yourself. (Maybe it's an aftereffect from
> the brainwashing.) . .And while we're on the subject of
> psychology--despite the degree you .hold, you are not
> licensed to practice psychology (at least not in the
> .state of California where you reside). Don't pretend to
> be something .that you're not. . .TD--not going to play
> "the game"
>
> Then what's the matter? Filter broken? Until you start
> to tell the truth, you will continue to be a bit player
> and a ZERO.

Yet another predictable response--when backed into a corner
and all else fails, change the subject and imply that your
opponent is a liar.

I've already told the truth. Did I lie when I said you are
not licensed to practice psychology in California? It's your
turn to tell the truth--start with that admission and then
we'll talk. Ain't gonna happen. Nope. No way, no how.

TD

--
[email protected] World Without Cars Dictionary of
Vandemisms (2001) is available at:
http://trekkiedad.freeservers.com/wwc.html ICQ# available
on request

On Sun, 27 Jun 2004 14:28:20 GMT, Trekkie Dad <[email protected]> wrote:

.In article <[email protected]>,
. Mike Vandeman <[email protected]> wrote: . .> On Sun, 27
Jun 2004 01:47:57 GMT, Trekkie Dad <[email protected]>
wrote: .> .> .In article
<[email protected]>, .> . Mike
Vandeman <[email protected]> wrote: .> . .> .> .Uh, no.
Opening a dialog would involve opening his mind. If you
observe .> .> .mikey long enough, you come to realize his
mind is not only closed, but .> .> .the lock is rusted,
and the key has long ago been discarded. .> .> .> .> We
psychologists call that "Projection". .> . .> .Yet another
predictable response--so far gone you don't recognize the
.> .trait in yourself. (Maybe it's an aftereffect from the
brainwashing.)

A LIE.

.> .And while we're on the subject of psychology--despite
the degree you .> .hold, you are not licensed to practice
psychology (at least not in the .> .state of California
where you reside). Don't pretend to be something .> .that
you're not.

I'm being a Pd.D. in Psychology. I don't need a
license for that.

.> .TD--not going to play "the game" .> .> Then what's the
matter? Filter broken? Until you start to tell the truth,
you .> will continue to be a bit player and a ZERO. . .Yet
another predictable response--when backed into a corner and
all else .fails, change the subject and imply that your
opponent is a liar. . .I've already told the truth.

You just LIED, by saying that I was "brainwashed". See
above. But LYING is nothing new for mountain bikers, is it?

Did I lie when I said you are not licensed .to practice
psychology in California? It's your turn to tell the .truth--
start with that admission and then we'll talk. Ain't gonna
.happen. Nope. No way, no how. . .TD

===
I am working on creating wildlife habitat that is off-limits
to humans ("pure habitat"). Want to help? (I spent the
previous 8 years fighting auto dependence and road
construction.)

http://home.pacbell.net/mjvande

> On Sat, 26 Jun 2004 01:20:01 -0700, "cc"
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> . ."Mike Vandeman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> .news:[email protected]... .> On
> Sat, 26 Jun 2004 00:21:05 -0400, "tcmedara"
> .<[email protected]> .> wrote: .> .> .S o r n i
> <[email protected]> wrote: .> .> davidmc wrote: .>
> .>> Mike Vandeman wrote: .> .> .> .> {I will snip it now
> -- see how that works?!??!?!?#(*&#$@*@!)} .> .>
<snip>
>> .> .> Bill "impressed, mightily" S.
> .> . .> .I was gonna comment on the same thing earlier,
> but I knew I had to
live
> .this .> .one for you, Bill. I'm not even sure why I even
> look at these MV
threads
> .> .anymore, sorta like not being able to look away from
> the car wreck,
even
> .> .after you've seen all you care to see. .> .> Mountain
> bikers havd no self-control, or they wouldn't be addicted.
> .> . .I'm not sure exactly who you think you are, but it
> must hard to make
friends
> .when you are clearly so superior to everybody.
>
> I'm not the least bit superior. I just tell the truth,
> something you
should try.

> .It's too bad, Mike. Not just for you. I mean, you
> obviously are in a bad .place if you continue to post
> here. You must realize that you're not .reaching anybody,
> yet you continue. Which means that you really don't
have
> .anything better to do, enjoy the abuse, or like
> patronizing others to
make
> .yourself feel better. . .I think the worst part, though,
> is that your ilk give environmental .advocates a bad name.
> I am a very green person,
>
> How do you express that? By MOUNTAIN BIKING????

Mike, I do truly enjoy nature, and do so on my bike. I also
find it a good way to get to higher elevations, and like to
eat lunch out in the middle of nowhere. Not that you care,
but it's not all about "hootin' and hollerin'".

We all do things every day that are not best for nature (if
we're willing to admit it) because we enjoy them. If we are
at least aware of the risk we pose, and do the best to
minimize it, I think it's the next best thing to not doing
it at all. After all, I do bike in part to enjoy nature.

Besides all that, I am quite active - and have been for a
long time - in advocating many earth-friendly activities. I
also enjoy nature in many other ways. It's funny, I've seen
much more damage done by hikers and equestrians than by
bikers. Not that I care to argue about it, but do you post
on ATV, hiking, and horseback-riding forums?

<snip>

> What do you think I am doing?!

Mike, you do not talk with us, but at us. Generally I don't
start conversations with others by calling them liars or
accusing them of being stupid. I can see that you're above
any level of compromise, but have you ever tried talking
about how to ride less destructively?

cc

Originally posted by Mike Vandeman
I'm being a Pd.D. in Psychology. I don't need a
license for that.

Doctor of Pedagogy in Psychology. You profess to teach that which you admittedly do not understand yourself.

Nice.

Just nice.

On Sun, 27 Jun 2004 23:50:41 -0700, "cc" <[email protected]> wrote:

. ."Mike Vandeman" <[email protected]> wrote in
message
.news:[email protected]... .>
On Sat, 26 Jun 2004 01:20:01 -0700, "cc"
<[email protected]> wrote: .> .> . .> ."Mike
works?!??!?!?#(*&#$@*@!)} .> .> .> .<snip> .>> .> .>
Bill "impressed, mightily" S. .> .> . .> .> .I was gonna
comment on the same thing earlier, but I knew I had to
.live .> .this .> .> .one for you, Bill. I'm not even
sure why I even look at these MV .threads .> .>
.anymore, sorta like not being able to look away from
the car wreck, .even .> .> .after you've seen all you
care to see. .> .> .> .> Mountain bikers havd no self-
control, or they wouldn't be addicted. .> .> .> . .>
.I'm not sure exactly who you think you are, but it must
hard to make .friends .> .when you are clearly so
superior to everybody. .> .> I'm not the least bit
superior. I just tell the truth, something you .should
try. .> .> .It's too bad, Mike. Not just for you. I
mean, you obviously are in a bad .> .place if you
continue to post here. You must realize that you're not
.> .reaching anybody, yet you continue. Which means that
you really don't .have .> .anything better to do, enjoy
the abuse, or like patronizing others to .make .>
.yourself feel better. .> . .> .I think the worst part,
though, is that your ilk give environmental .>
.advocates a bad name. I am a very green person, .> .>
How do you express that? By MOUNTAIN BIKING???? . .Mike,
I do truly enjoy nature, and do so on my bike. I also
find it a good .way to get to higher elevations, and
like to eat lunch out in the middle of .nowhere.

Me too. But I WALK. Are you incapable of walking?

.Not that you care, but it's not all about "hootin' and
hollerin'". . .We all do things every day that are not best
for nature (if we're willing to .admit it) because we enjoy
them. If we are at least aware of the risk we .pose, and do
the best to minimize it, I think it's the next best thing
to .not doing it at all. After all, I do bike in part to
enjoy nature.

Your motivations are irrelevant to the anmals and plants you
are selfishly killing for sport.

.Besides all that, I am quite active - and have been for a
long time - in .advocating many earth-friendly activities.

Mountain biking isn't one of them.

I also enjoy nature in many other .ways. It's funny, I've
seen much more damage done by hikers and equestrians .than
by bikers. Not that I care to argue about it, but do you
post on ATV, .hiking, and horseback-riding forums? .
.<snip> . .> What do you think I am doing?! . .Mike, you do
not talk with us, but at us. Generally I don't start
.conversations with others by calling them liars or
accusing them of being .stupid. I can see that you're above
any level of compromise, but have you .ever tried talking
about how to ride less destructively?

All the time: stay on pavement! DUH!

.cc .

===
I am working on creating wildlife habitat that is off-limits
to humans ("pure habitat"). Want to help? (I spent the
previous 8 years fighting auto dependence and road
construction.)

http://home.pacbell.net/mjvande

As a college student a can respect anyone who earned their
doctorate. But I can not respect someone who declares
themselves a PH.d. at the begining of an article, for
authority, while talking completely out of thier field. As a
college student, I also know how specialized people are and
how narrow thier education becomes as a grad student. Your
PH.d. gives you no qualifications here.

Bryan Donovan

On Mon, 28 Jun 2004 13:29:45 -0700, bryan <[email protected]> wrote:

.As a college student a can respect anyone who earned their
doctorate. .But I can not respect someone who declares
themselves a PH.d. at the .begining of an article, for
authority, while talking completely out of .thier field. As
a college student, I also know how specialized people .are
and how narrow thier education becomes as a grad student.
Your .PH.d. gives you no qualifications here.

Yes it does. Expertise in scientific method and interpreting
mountain bikers' pseudo-scientific "studies". But it takes
ZERO scientific knowledge to report on the OBVIOUS damage
done by mountain biking. Anyone can do it, as long as they
are HONEST (that rules out all mountain bikers).

.Bryan Donovan . .Mike Vandeman wrote: .> On Sun, 27 Jun
2004 14:28:20 GMT, Trekkie Dad <[email protected]> wrote:
.> .> .In article
<[email protected]>, .> . Mike
Vandeman <[email protected]> wrote: .> . .> .> On Sun, 27
Jun 2004 01:47:57 GMT, Trekkie Dad <[email protected]>
wrote: .> .> .> .> .In article
<[email protected]>, .> .> . Mike
Vandeman <[email protected]> wrote: .> .> . .> .> .> .Uh,
no. Opening a dialog would involve opening his mind. If you
observe .> .> .> .mikey long enough, you come to realize his
mind is not only closed, but .> .> .> .the lock is rusted,
and the key has long ago been discarded. .> .> .> .> .> .>
We psychologists call that "Projection". .> .> . .> .> .Yet
another predictable response--so far gone you don't
recognize the .> .> .trait in yourself. (Maybe it's an
aftereffect from the brainwashing.) .> .> A LIE. .> .> .>
.And while we're on the subject of psychology--despite the
degree you .> .> .hold, you are not licensed to practice
psychology (at least not in the .> .> .state of California
where you reside). Don't pretend to be something .> .> .that
you're not. .> .> I'm being a Pd.D. in Psychology. I don't
need a license for that. .> .> .> .TD--not going to play
"the game" .> .> .> .> Then what's the matter? Filter
broken? Until you start to tell the truth, you .> .> will
continue to be a bit player and a ZERO. .> . .> .Yet another
predictable response--when backed into a corner and all else
.> .fails, change the subject and imply that your opponent
is a liar. .> . .> .I've already told the truth. .> .> You
just LIED, by saying that I was "brainwashed". See above.
But LYING is .> nothing new for mountain bikers, is it? .>
.> Did I lie when I said you are not licensed .> .to
practice psychology in California? It's your turn to tell
the .> .truth--start with that admission and then we'll
talk. Ain't gonna .> .happen. Nope. No way, no how. .> . .>
.TD .> .> === .> I am working on creating wildlife habitat