The Harrow egger

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Dave Kahn, May 21, 2004.

  1. Dave Kahn

    Dave Kahn Guest

    Last night at about 20:55 I was hit by an egg thrown from an
    overtaking car in Lower Road, Harrow. It's the second time in as many
    months that I've been attacked in this way, and at almost the same
    time and location. In the previous incident the car was coming towards
    me, I didn't see the egg coming, and didn't get any useful details of
    the car. This time, however, I managed to get a good view of it as it
    sped away.

    It was a distinctive colour, dark yellow or old gold, and something
    like a Ford Escort. I thought I'd got the number correctly as H 248
    JHT. However, either I've made a mistake with this number (I only had
    a second or two to read it in the dusk) or it's a false plate as the
    DVLA computer does not recognise it, even trying different initial
    letters.

    Unprovoked assault seems to be the main hazard of my commute these
    days. This makes the fifth since Christmas Eve. I'm getting a bit fed
    up with being a target for mindless idiots simply because I'm a
    cyclist, and I'd like to identify this vehicle if possible. I'll be
    keeping a lookout for it in the next few days of course, and I'd
    appreciate it if anyone else in that general area could do the same. I
    suspect I've made a transposition error somewhere, but if I've read
    the number correctly the car is on the road illegally and the police
    will be most interested to find out where it is kept.

    I was unhurt from either attack, incidentally, apart from some trivial
    pain and a bruise each time the size of, err.. an egg, but eventually
    someone is going to get seriously injured.

    --
    Dave...

    Tags:

  2. Simonb

    Simonb Guest

    Dave Kahn wrote:
    > Last night at about 20:55 I was hit by an egg thrown from an
    > overtaking car in Lower Road, Harrow.

    Not my patch. Hope you track the tossers down.

    I'm sure Mr Larrington has some reasonable suggestions to make.

  3. [email protected] (Dave Kahn)typed

    > Last night at about 20:55 I was hit by an egg thrown from an
    > overtaking car in Lower Road, Harrow.

    How horrible!
    Local sentiment (as opposed to politics) is rather anti-cyclist.
    The editorial attiude of the Harrow Times does not help. Maybe you
    should write a letter to that august publication as an assault victim.

    --
    Helen D. Vecht: [email protected]
    Edgware.

  4. "Simonb" <[email protected]>typed

    > Dave Kahn wrote:
    > > Last night at about 20:55 I was hit by an egg thrown from an
    > > overtaking car in Lower Road, Harrow.

    > Not my patch. Hope you track the tossers down.

    > I'm sure Mr Larrington has some reasonable suggestions to make.

    It is (nearly) mine.

    I'll keep my eyes peeled.

    --
    Helen D. Vecht: [email protected]
    Edgware.

  5. Simon Mason

    Simon Mason Guest

    "Dave Kahn" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Last night at about 20:55 I was hit by an egg thrown from an
    > overtaking car in Lower Road, Harrow. It's the second time in as many
    > months that I've been attacked in this way, and at almost the same
    > time and location.

    Luckily the morons around here who try the same thing obviously have not
    had the benefit of a Harrovian education, as they throw their missiles at
    you *after * they've passed.

    --
    Simon Mason
    Anlaby

  6. Tony Raven

    Tony Raven Guest

    Helen Deborah Vecht wrote:

    > I'll keep my eyes peeled.

    That was supposed to be a yolk, yes?

    Tony

  7. Simonb

    Simonb Guest

    Tony Raven wrote:

    > That was supposed to be a yolk, yes?

    I think you could omlette her off for that one.

  8. Simonb wrote:
    > Tony Raven wrote:
    >

    >>That was supposed to be a yolk, yes?

    > I think you could omlette her off for that one.

    I wouldnt shell out to read your puns.

  9. Iain Jones

    Iain Jones Guest

    [email protected] (Dave Kahn) wrote in
    news:[email protected]:

    > It was a distinctive colour, dark yellow or old gold, and something
    > like a Ford Escort. I thought I'd got the number correctly as H 248
    > JHT. However, either I've made a mistake with this number (I only had
    > a second or two to read it in the dusk) or it's a false plate as the
    > DVLA computer does not recognise it, even trying different initial
    > letters.

    Just out of interest, can Joe Public search on the DVLA to find out who
    owns a vehicle after an incident like this?

  10. On 21 May 2004 06:41:20 -0700, Dave Kahn <[email protected]> wrote:
    > Last night at about 20:55 I was hit by an egg thrown from an
    > overtaking car in Lower Road, Harrow. It's the second time in as many
    > months that I've been attacked in this way,

    It always amazes me when this happens - do these cretins drive around
    with an open box of eggs on the passenger seat on the off chance of
    passing a bike?

    --
    Andy Leighton => [email protected]
    - Robert Rankin, _They Came And Ate Us_

  11. >
    >That was supposed to be a yolk, yes?
    >
    >Tony

    She poached it from someone else I think. But as the thread gets longer, I
    could be getting a bit scrambled up in my readings.

    Cheers, helen s

  12. Once, when I lived up that way, a passing pikey thought it would be amusing
    to heave a half-brick at a passing cyclist, viz. me. Fortunately he missed,
    but it's nice to know that the traditions are being passed on to the next
    generation.

    Not. Let's hope someone gets his number and/or has him killed sooner rather
    than later.

    http://www.bhpc.org.uk/

  13. "Andy Leighton" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    > It always amazes me when this happens - do these cretins drive around
    > with an open box of eggs on the passenger seat on the off chance of
    > passing a bike?

    Also they arn't cheap! Sainsburys charge about £1.50 for 6 (free range organic i
    think), but i guess asda battery eggs are cheaper.

  14. On Fri, 21 May 2004 15:55:23 GMT, Andy Leighton <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    >On 21 May 2004 06:41:20 -0700, Dave Kahn <[email protected]> wrote:
    >> Last night at about 20:55 I was hit by an egg thrown from an
    >> overtaking car in Lower Road, Harrow. It's the second time in as many
    >> months that I've been attacked in this way,

    >It always amazes me when this happens - do these cretins drive around
    >with an open box of eggs on the passenger seat on the off chance of
    >passing a bike?

    In many years of cycling I've had three sort of similar incidents.

    The first was a corker; a ginormous firework rocket launched from the
    shrubbery. Missed by miles but very spectacular.

    The second was the classic half-full beer can lobbed from the
    pavement. Missed again. For some reason I was really enraged by this
    and chased the sods who ran for a short distance. Then I and they
    realised there was 5 of them and 1 of me so I fled.

    The third was the best. A carful of boneheads pulls up alongside and
    they start shooting at me with an air pistol. Missed. Missed. Missed.
    Bizarrely, I pursued them but was saved by my own stupidity by the
    lights changing.

  15. Pyromancer

    Pyromancer Guest

    Upon the miasma of midnight, a darkling spirit identified as
    dirtylitterboxofferingstospammers <[email protected]> breathed:

    >>That was supposed to be a yolk, yes?

    >She poached it from someone else I think. But as the thread gets longer, I
    >could be getting a bit scrambled up in my readings.

    But which came first, the egg or the chicken who threw it?

    --
    - Pyromancer.
    - http://www.inkubus-sukkubus.co.uk <-- Pagan Gothic Rock!

  16. Dave Kahn wrote:

    > Last night at about 20:55 I was hit by an egg thrown from an
    > overtaking car in Lower Road, Harrow. It's the second time in as many
    > months that I've been attacked in this way, and at almost the same
    > time and location. In the previous incident the car was coming towards
    > me, I didn't see the egg coming, and didn't get any useful details of
    > the car. This time, however, I managed to get a good view of it as it
    > sped away.
    >
    > It was a distinctive colour, dark yellow or old gold

    Most eggs are like that.

    Sorry, that was a bad attempt at a yolk.

  17. Tony Raven

    Tony Raven Guest

    >> That was supposed to be a yolk, yes?
    >>
    >> Tony

    > She poached it from someone else I think. But as the thread gets longer, I
    > could be getting a bit scrambled up in my readings.

    All white, all white, it was a bad eggsample

    Tony

  18. "Adrian Boliston" <[email protected]>typed

    > "Andy Leighton" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]

    > > It always amazes me when this happens - do these cretins drive around
    > > with an open box of eggs on the passenger seat on the off chance of
    > > passing a bike?

    > Also they arn't cheap! Sainsburys charge about £1.50 for 6 (free
    > range organic i
    > think), but i guess asda battery eggs are cheaper.

    Yebbut Sainsbury's 'Low Price' eggs are 55p for a box of 6 IIRC...

    --
    Helen D. Vecht: [email protected]
    Edgware.

  19. Iain Jones

    Iain Jones Guest

    [email protected] (Dave Kahn) wrote in
    news:[email protected]:

    > Last night at about 20:55 I was hit by an egg thrown from an
    > overtaking car in Lower Road, Harrow. It's the second time in as many
    > months that I've been attacked in this way, and at almost the same
    > time and location. In the previous incident the car was coming towards
    > me, I didn't see the egg coming, and didn't get any useful details of
    > the car. This time, however, I managed to get a good view of it as it
    > sped away.

    I've had a mouldy orange and a handful of fish and chips thrown at me in
    the past. Both times my jacket took several washes to get rid of the smell.

  20. Simon Brooke

    Simon Brooke Guest