The Harrow egger

Dave Kahn

Guest
Last night at about 20:55 I was hit by an egg thrown from
an overtaking car in Lower Road, Harrow. It's the second
time in as many months that I've been attacked in this way,
and at almost the same time and location. In the previous
incident the car was coming towards me, I didn't see the
egg coming, and didn't get any useful details of the car.
This time, however, I managed to get a good view of it as
it sped away.

It was a distinctive colour, dark yellow or old gold, and
something like a Ford Escort. I thought I'd got the number
correctly as H 248 JHT. However, either I've made a mistake
with this number (I only had a second or two to read it in
the dusk) or it's a false plate as the DVLA computer does
not recognise it, even trying different initial letters.

Unprovoked assault seems to be the main hazard of my commute
these days. This makes the fifth since Christmas Eve. I'm
getting a bit fed up with being a target for mindless idiots
simply because I'm a cyclist, and I'd like to identify this
vehicle if possible. I'll be keeping a lookout for it in the
next few days of course, and I'd appreciate it if anyone
else in that general area could do the same. I suspect I've
made a transposition error somewhere, but if I've read the
number correctly the car is on the road illegally and the
police will be most interested to find out where it is kept.

I was unhurt from either attack, incidentally, apart from
some trivial pain and a bruise each time the size of,
err.. an egg, but eventually someone is going to get
seriously injured.

--
Dave...

Dave Kahn wrote:
> Last night at about 20:55 I was hit by an egg thrown from
> an overtaking car in Lower Road, Harrow.

Not my patch. Hope you track the tossers down.

I'm sure Mr Larrington has some reasonable suggestions to
make.

[email protected] (Dave Kahn)typed

> Last night at about 20:55 I was hit by an egg thrown from
> an overtaking car in Lower Road, Harrow.

How horrible! Local sentiment (as opposed to politics) is
rather anti-cyclist. The editorial attiude of the Harrow
Times does not help. Maybe you should write a letter to that
august publication as an assault victim.

"Dave Kahn" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Last night at about 20:55 I was hit by an egg thrown from
> an overtaking car in Lower Road, Harrow. It's the second
> time in as many months that I've been attacked in this
> way, and at almost the same time and location.

Luckily the morons around here who try the same thing
obviously have not had the benefit of a Harrovian
education, as they throw their missiles at you *after *
they've passed.

--
Simon Mason Anlaby East Yorkshire. 53°44'N 0°26'W
http://www.simonmason.karoo.net

"Simonb" <[email protected]>typed

> Dave Kahn wrote:
> > Last night at about 20:55 I was hit by an egg thrown
> > from an overtaking car in Lower Road, Harrow.

> Not my patch. Hope you track the tossers down.

> I'm sure Mr Larrington has some reasonable suggestions
> to make.

It is (nearly) mine.

I'll keep my eyes peeled.

Helen Deborah Vecht wrote:

> I'll keep my eyes peeled.

That was supposed to be a yolk, yes?

Tony

Tony Raven wrote:

> That was supposed to be a yolk, yes?

I think you could omlette her off for that one.

Simonb wrote:
> Tony Raven wrote:
>

>>That was supposed to be a yolk, yes?
>

> I think you could omlette her off for that one.

I wouldnt shell out to read your puns.

[email protected] (Dave Kahn) wrote in
news:[email protected]:

> It was a distinctive colour, dark yellow or old gold, and
> something like a Ford Escort. I thought I'd got the number
> correctly as H 248 JHT. However, either I've made a
> mistake with this number (I only had a second or two to
> read it in the dusk) or it's a false plate as the DVLA
> computer does not recognise it, even trying different
> initial letters.

Just out of interest, can Joe Public search on the DVLA to
find out who owns a vehicle after an incident like this?

On 21 May 2004 06:41:20 -0700, Dave Kahn <[email protected]> wrote:
> Last night at about 20:55 I was hit by an egg thrown
> from an overtaking car in Lower Road, Harrow. It's the
> second time in as many months that I've been attacked in
> this way,

It always amazes me when this happens - do these cretins
drive around with an open box of eggs on the passenger seat
on the off chance of passing a bike?

--
Andy Leighton => [email protected] "The Lord is my
shepherd, but we still lost the sheep dog trials"

Once, when I lived up that way, a passing pikey thought it
would be amusing to heave a half-brick at a passing cyclist,
viz. me. Fortunately he missed, but it's nice to know that
the traditions are being passed on to the next generation.

Not. Let's hope someone gets his number and/or has him
killed sooner rather than later.

http://www.bhpc.org.uk/

"Andy Leighton" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> It always amazes me when this happens - do these cretins
> drive around with an open box of eggs on the passenger
> seat on the off chance of passing a bike?

Also they arn't cheap! Sainsburys charge about £1.50 for 6
(free range organic i think), but i guess asda battery eggs
are cheaper.

On Fri, 21 May 2004 15:55:23 GMT, Andy Leighton <[email protected]>
wrote:

>On 21 May 2004 06:41:20 -0700, Dave Kahn
><[email protected]> wrote:
>> Last night at about 20:55 I was hit by an egg thrown
>> from an overtaking car in Lower Road, Harrow. It's the
>> second time in as many months that I've been attacked in
>> this way,
>
>It always amazes me when this happens - do these cretins
>drive around with an open box of eggs on the passenger seat
>on the off chance of passing a bike?

In many years of cycling I've had three sort of similar
incidents.

The first was a corker; a ginormous firework rocket launched
from the shrubbery. Missed by miles but very spectacular.

The second was the classic half-full beer can lobbed from
the pavement. Missed again. For some reason I was really
enraged by this and chased the sods who ran for a short
distance. Then I and they realised there was 5 of them and 1
of me so I fled.

The third was the best. A carful of boneheads pulls up
alongside and they start shooting at me with an air pistol.
Missed. Missed. Missed. Bizarrely, I pursued them but was
saved by my own stupidity by the lights changing.

Dave Kahn wrote:

> Last night at about 20:55 I was hit by an egg thrown from
> an overtaking car in Lower Road, Harrow. It's the second
> time in as many months that I've been attacked in this
> way, and at almost the same time and location. In the
> see the egg coming, and didn't get any useful details of
> the car. This time, however, I managed to get a good view
> of it as it sped away.
>
> It was a distinctive colour, dark yellow or old gold

Most eggs are like that.

Sorry, that was a bad attempt at a yolk.

[email protected] (Dave Kahn) wrote in
news:[email protected]:

> Last night at about 20:55 I was hit by an egg thrown from
> an overtaking car in Lower Road, Harrow. It's the second
> time in as many months that I've been attacked in this
> way, and at almost the same time and location. In the
> see the egg coming, and didn't get any useful details of
> the car. This time, however, I managed to get a good view
> of it as it sped away.

I've had a mouldy orange and a handful of fish and chips
thrown at me in the past. Both times my jacket took several
washes to get rid of the smell.

"Adrian Boliston" <[email protected]>typed

> "Andy Leighton" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...

> > It always amazes me when this happens - do these cretins
> > drive around with an open box of eggs on the passenger
> > seat on the off chance of passing a bike?

> Also they arn't cheap! Sainsburys charge about £1.50 for 6
> (free range organic i think), but i guess asda battery
> eggs are cheaper.

Yebbut Sainsbury's 'Low Price' eggs are 55p for a box
of 6 IIRC...

On Fri, 21 May 2004 17:13:03 +0100, "Dave Larrington" <[email protected]>
wrote in message <[email protected]>:

>Once, when I lived up that way, a passing pikey thought it
>would be amusing to heave a half-brick at a passing
>cyclist, viz. me. Fortunately he missed, but it's nice to
>know that the traditions are being passed on to the next
>generation.

It happened to me in genteel Snorbens. Admittedly I knew the
pikey in question, and it was mainly motivated by my going
to the "wrong" school. The icing on the cake was when his
parent brought him round afterwards to demand an apology
because I had made a Rude Retort. I told my dad what had
actually happened and he did his very best impression of a
well-built 6'2" plus bloke with half a lifetime's experience
of controlling classes of unruly teenagers (which was, I
have to say, both Very Convincing[1] and somewhat
frightening). Exeunt pikey stage left, defeated.

[1] On account of him being - oh, I can see you've
beaten me to it.

Guy
http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk

Err, what's the "This is not a virus.vbs" attachment about?

I'd virus scan your PC if that wasn't intended :)

Simon Brooke wrote:

> This is obviously fertile ground for punsters. How many
> more will they crack?
>
> I think I'll have to give you lot the bird.

You can't lay around here!