The Harrow egger

On Fri, 21 May 2004 17:13:03 +0100, "Dave Larrington" <[email protected]>
wrote in message <[email protected]>:

>Once, when I lived up that way, a passing pikey thought it would be amusing
>to heave a half-brick at a passing cyclist, viz. me. Fortunately he missed,
>but it's nice to know that the traditions are being passed on to the next
>generation.

It happened to me in genteel Snorbens. Admittedly I knew the pikey in
question, and it was mainly motivated by my going to the "wrong"
school. The icing on the cake was when his parent brought him round
afterwards to demand an apology because I had made a Rude Retort. I
told my dad what had actually happened and he did his very best
impression of a well-built 6'2" plus bloke with half a lifetime's
experience of controlling classes of unruly teenagers (which was, I
have to say, both Very Convincing[1] and somewhat frightening).
Exeunt pikey stage left, defeated.

[1] On account of him being - oh, I can see you've beaten me to it.

Guy
http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk

Err, what's the "This is not a virus.vbs" attachment about?

I'd virus scan your PC if that wasn't intended :)

In news:[email protected],
Nathaniel Porter <[email protected]> typed:
> Err, what's the "This is not a virus.vbs" attachment about?
>
> I'd virus scan your PC if that wasn't intended :)

It's intended. For some reason, he's set it with POSIX execute permissions,
despite being intended only to show on Outlook Express.

Simon Brooke wrote:

> This is obviously fertile ground for punsters. How many more will they
> crack?
>
> I think I'll have to give you lot the bird.

You can't lay around here!

In article <[email protected]>,
"Ambrose Nankivell" <[email protected]> writes:
> Nathaniel Porter <[email protected]> typed:
>> Err, what's the "This is not a virus.vbs" attachment about?

It's a bug in your so-called newsreader, of course. There was no attachment
and your newsreader is telling stupid lies. That bug, exploited the other
way round, helps to let the viruses in.

> It's intended. For some reason, he's set it with POSIX execute permissions,

Now that is even more bizarre. WTF do you suppose you're talking about?

--
Nick Kew

Nick's manifesto: http://www.htmlhelp.com/~nick/

in message <[email protected]>, Ambrose Nankivell
('[email protected]') wrote:

> In news:[email protected],
> Nathaniel Porter <[email protected]> typed:
>> Err, what's the "This is not a virus.vbs" attachment about?
>>
>> I'd virus scan your PC if that wasn't intended :)

> It's intended. For some reason, he's set it with POSIX execute
> permissions

Revelation 13:18

;; 'I think we should trust our president in every decision
;; that he makes and we should just support that'
;; Britney Spears of George W Bush, CNN 04:09:03

Nick Kew wrote:

> In article <[email protected]>,
> "Ambrose Nankivell" <[email protected]> writes:
>> Nathaniel Porter <[email protected]> typed:
>>> Err, what's the "This is not a virus.vbs" attachment about?

> It's a bug in your so-called newsreader, of course. There was no attachment
> and your newsreader is telling stupid lies. That bug, exploited the other
> way round, helps to let the viruses in.
>
>> It's intended. For some reason, he's set it with POSIX execute permissions,

> Now that is even more bizarre. WTF do you suppose you're talking about?

| begin 666 this_is_not_a_virus.vbs
| There is no virus attached to this post.
| end

FWIW, Gnus also displays it as an "attachment". Are you sure you're
thinking of the right thing?

Ignorance is strength

In news:[email protected],
Nick Kew <[email protected]> typed:
> In article <[email protected]>,
> "Ambrose Nankivell" <[email protected]>
> writes:
>> It's intended. For some reason, he's set it with POSIX execute
>> permissions,

> Now that is even more bizarre. WTF do you suppose you're talking
> about?

My bad, completely sorry. I assumed that in the "begin 666
this_is_not_a_virus" the 666 was to look like chmod permissions, but of
course that's globally writeable and not executable, anyway.

Of course I know it's not going to have any effect on a POSIX system. That's
why it struck me as amusing, but I guess I should have kept it to myself.

Keith Willoughby <[email protected]> writes:

> FWIW, Gnus also displays it as an "attachment". Are you sure you're
> thinking of the right thing?

Hmmm ...

In Gnus's case, one could imagine it to be some kind of legacy
support for uuencoding. In M$'s case that's a great deal less
plausible, because uuencoding had been obsolete for the better
part of a decade before M$ ever heard of email.

Even so it's broken.

--
Not me guv

On Fri, 21 May 2004 17:28:40 +0100, Pyromancer
<[email protected]> wrote:

>Upon the miasma of midnight, a darkling spirit identified as
>dirtylitterboxofferingstospammers <[email protected]> breathed:
>
>>>That was supposed to be a yolk, yes?

>>She poached it from someone else I think. But as the thread gets longer, I
>>could be getting a bit scrambled up in my readings.

>But which came first, the egg or the chicken who threw it?

And does anyone really give a cluck?

Jeremy