The Harrow egger

In news:[email protected],
Nathaniel Porter <[email protected]> typed:
> Err, what's the "This is not a virus.vbs" attachment
> about?
>
> I'd virus scan your PC if that wasn't intended :)

It's intended. For some reason, he's set it with POSIX
execute permissions, despite being intended only to show on
Outlook Express.

in message <[email protected]>, Ambrose Nankivell
('[email protected]') wrote:

> In news:[email protected], Nathaniel
> Porter <[email protected]> typed:
>> Err, what's the "This is not a virus.vbs"
>> attachment about?
>>
>> I'd virus scan your PC if that wasn't intended :)
>
> It's intended. For some reason, he's set it with POSIX
> execute permissions

Revelation 13:18

--
[email protected] (Simon Brooke)
http://www.jasmine.org.uk/~simon/

;; 'I think we should trust our president in every
decision ;; that he makes and we should just
support that' ;; Britney Spears of George W Bush,
CNN 04:09:03

In article <[email protected]>,
"Ambrose Nankivell" <[email protected]> writes:
> Nathaniel Porter <[email protected]> typed:
>> Err, what's the "This is not a virus.vbs"
>> attachment about?

It's a bug in your so-called newsreader, of course. There
was no attachment and your newsreader is telling stupid
lies. That bug, exploited the other way round, helps to let
the viruses in.

> It's intended. For some reason, he's set it with POSIX
> execute permissions,

Now that is even more bizarre. WTF do you suppose you're
talking about?

--
Nick Kew

Nick's manifesto: http://www.htmlhelp.com/~nick/

Nick Kew wrote:

> In article <[email protected]>, "Ambrose
> Nankivell"
> <[email protected]> writes:
>> Nathaniel Porter <[email protected]> typed:
>>> Err, what's the "This is not a virus.vbs" attachment
>>> about?
>
> It's a bug in your so-called newsreader, of course. There
> was no attachment and your newsreader is telling stupid
> lies. That bug, exploited the other way round, helps to
> let the viruses in.
>
>> It's intended. For some reason, he's set it with POSIX
>> execute permissions,
>
> Now that is even more bizarre. WTF do you suppose you're
> talking about?

| begin 666 this_is_not_a_virus.vbs There is no virus
| attached to this post. end

FWIW, Gnus also displays it as an "attachment". Are you sure
you're thinking of the right thing?

--
Keith Willoughby http://flat222.org/keith/ Ignorance
is strength

In news:[email protected],
Nick Kew <[email protected]> typed:
> In article <[email protected]>, "Ambrose
> Nankivell"
> <[email protected]> writes:
>> It's intended. For some reason, he's set it with POSIX
>> execute permissions,
>
> Now that is even more bizarre. WTF do you suppose you're
> talking about?

My bad, completely sorry. I assumed that in the "begin 666
this_is_not_a_virus" the 666 was to look like chmod
permissions, but of course that's globally writeable and not
executable, anyway.

Of course I know it's not going to have any effect on a
POSIX system. That's why it struck me as amusing, but I
guess I should have kept it to myself.

Keith Willoughby <[email protected]> writes:

> FWIW, Gnus also displays it as an "attachment". Are you
> sure you're thinking of the right thing?

Hmmm ...

In Gnus's case, one could imagine it to be some kind of
legacy support for uuencoding. In M$'s case that's a
great deal less plausible, because uuencoding had been
obsolete for the better part of a decade before M$ ever
heard of email.

Even so it's broken.

--
Not me guv

On Fri, 21 May 2004 17:28:40 +0100, Pyromancer
<[email protected]> wrote:

>Upon the miasma of midnight, a darkling spirit identified
>as dirtylitterboxofferingstospammers
><[email protected]> breathed:
>
>>>That was supposed to be a yolk, yes?
>
>>She poached it from someone else I think. But as the
>>thread gets longer, I could be getting a bit scrambled up
>>in my readings.
>
>But which came first, the egg or the chicken who threw it?

And does anyone really give a cluck?

Jeremy