The pitfalls of the "Beater Upgrade."

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

Spider

It's a sunny day, the N. Idaho trails are mostly firm, if not dry, and the bike calls me to ride.
Up, up, up 3 miles of double-track, stop every now and again to admire the view. What's this? I've
never seen this trail before...

A 30 vertical ft, 50-degree slope with rocks and loose dirt, and the run-out sucks. OK, no problem,
start slow, ass scraping the rear knobbies, slowly building speed so there's no skidding. Aw, **** -
there's a small drop-off at the bottom that I couldn't see from the top. Let the brakes go, get
ready to yank up on the bar, get ready to flex my knees...

Well, no crash, but its' not the same as last year. Everything *feels* different. Riding on the
road just hasn't prepared me, but I just don't know it yet - I thought it was just because it was a
new trail.

No, the *bike* is what's new. Everything is just slightly different. Now it dives when I'm on the
brakes, which means I have to get back more. And I can brake later, because the brakes are better.
And the riser bar makes the riding more upright than last year. And the new drive-train has
different ratios than last year's - which means I'm *never* in the right gear. I'm exhausted 2 miles
in, and it's not only the flabby legs. I've been chasing the bike the entire time, never out front.
I'm gased, thirsty, and looking forward to justing riding back and calling it a day. And I'm only
about 5 trail miles away from the car. Grumble.

Here's a wide spot with a good view and big log to rest my sorry legs. I sit on the grass and look
down on a clearcut that's growing back. Hawks wheel on updrafts, and a flicker is poking around that
dead tree for bugs. The wind whispers in the conifers, and the air smells of damp earth and
evergreens. My mind wanders...

I think about darsh. What would I do if I couldn't ride any more? I'd find something else to do, I'm
sure. Then I think about my dad. He had all kinds of plans, and they got cut short when renal cell
carcinoma took over his body and killed him in less than a year. Better get out and do now, while I
can. Since I can. No more worries about how my weak legs and different bike on an unfamiliar trail
are sucking. I guess stuff doesn't suck so much, now that I think about
it. Time to head back - I got stuff to do.

Downhill, it's all a blast. I know what the trail is gonna serve up, and I roll with it. I'm ahead
of the bike, and myself. Still can't find the right gear all the time, but life's *****. Some guys
down at the bottom have high-centered their Saturn, but have still unloaded their MGX bikes, and are
preparing to ride. They're both wearing flip-flops. I ask if they need help. "No, dude - we're
good." I say "take it easy," but I think they misunderstand my comment as one of goodbye. I call a
buddy that lives nearby to check up on them later - I'll buy him pizza next week.

On the way home, I don't think about the split seam on my Camelbak bladder, or the broken LCD on my
cycling computer. It just doesn't matter. My weak legs are going to be *****ing, I know, but that's
what Ibuprofen is for (better living through chemistry.) The bike needs some tweeking, but it's not
bad as it is. Just different.

I'm glad I can ride. I'm glad to be alive to ride. I think about darsh somemore, and what I would
say to him. I can't think of anything. The sunroof is open, and the music is playing. This is pretty
good, too.

To those of you to whom this makes sense: He is risen!

Happy Easter to you all,

j. Jones (Spider)

On 20 Apr 2003 12:55:18 -0700, [email protected] (Spider) wrote:

(Snip overwritten crapola!)

I see what you mean Travis!

Dave (thanks for the example!)

> It's a sunny day, the N. Idaho trails are mostly firm, if not dry, and the bike calls me to ride.
> Up, up, up 3 miles of double-track, stop every now and again to admire the view. What's this? I've
> never seen this trail before...

<snip>

> I'm glad I can ride. I'm glad to be alive to ride. I think about darsh somemore, and what I would
> say to him. I can't think of anything. The sunroof is open, and the music is playing. This is
> pretty good, too.
>
> To those of you to whom this makes sense: He is risen!
>
> Happy Easter to you all,
>
> R. Jones (Spider)

Good RR and Amen!
--
Slacker - been thinking about Darsh too

Digged that

Happy Easter m8

Cheers

Chris

--
=========================================
"Pppplllleeeaaaseee Stop" - NPS Marshal

http://www.mtbbikes.co.uk "Spider" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> It's a sunny day, the N. Idaho trails are mostly firm, if not dry, and the bike calls me to ride.
> Up, up, up 3 miles of double-track, stop every now and again to admire the view. What's this? I've
> never seen this trail before...
>
> A 30 vertical ft, 50-degree slope with rocks and loose dirt, and the run-out sucks. OK, no
> problem, start slow, ass scraping the rear knobbies, slowly building speed so there's no skidding.
> Aw, **** - there's a small drop-off at the bottom that I couldn't see from the top. Let the brakes
> go, get ready to yank up on the bar, get ready to flex my knees...
>
> Well, no crash, but its' not the same as last year. Everything *feels* different. Riding on the
> road just hasn't prepared me, but I just don't know it yet - I thought it was just because it was
> a new trail.
>
> No, the *bike* is what's new. Everything is just slightly different. Now it dives when I'm on the
> brakes, which means I have to get back more. And I can brake later, because the brakes are better.
> And the riser bar makes the riding more upright than last year. And the new drive-train has
> different ratios than last year's - which means I'm *never* in the right gear. I'm exhausted 2
> miles in, and it's not only the flabby legs. I've been chasing the bike the entire time, never out
> front. I'm gased, thirsty, and looking forward to justing riding back and calling it a day. And
> I'm only about 5 trail miles away from the car. Grumble.
>
> Here's a wide spot with a good view and big log to rest my sorry legs. I sit on the grass and look
> down on a clearcut that's growing back. Hawks wheel on updrafts, and a flicker is poking around
> that dead tree for bugs. The wind whispers in the conifers, and the air smells of damp earth and
> evergreens. My mind wanders...
>
> I think about darsh. What would I do if I couldn't ride any more? I'd find something else to do,
> I'm sure. Then I think about my dad. He had all kinds of plans, and they got cut short when renal
> cell carcinoma took over his body and killed him in less than a year. Better get out and do now,
> while I can. Since I can. No more worries about how my weak legs and different bike on an
> unfamiliar trail are sucking. I guess stuff doesn't suck so much, now that I think about
> it. Time to head back - I got stuff to do.
>
> Downhill, it's all a blast. I know what the trail is gonna serve up, and I roll with it. I'm ahead
> of the bike, and myself. Still can't find the right gear all the time, but life's *****. Some guys
> down at the bottom have high-centered their Saturn, but have still unloaded their MGX bikes, and
> are preparing to ride. They're both wearing flip-flops. I ask if they need help. "No, dude - we're
> good." I say "take it easy," but I think they misunderstand my comment as one of goodbye. I call a
> buddy that lives nearby to check up on them later - I'll buy him pizza next week.
>
> On the way home, I don't think about the split seam on my Camelbak bladder, or the broken LCD on
> my cycling computer. It just doesn't matter. My weak legs are going to be *****ing, I know, but
> that's what Ibuprofen is for (better living through chemistry.) The bike needs some tweeking, but
> it's not bad as it is. Just different.
>
> I'm glad I can ride. I'm glad to be alive to ride. I think about darsh somemore, and what I would
> say to him. I can't think of anything. The sunroof is open, and the music is playing. This is
> pretty good, too.
>
>
>
> R. Jones (Spider)

> Slacker - been thinking about Darsh too

Sorry but I have been away from the group for a while, what happned to Darsh ?

Thanks

Chris

--
=========================================
"Pppplllleeeaaaseee Stop" - NPS Marshal

http://www.mtbbikes.co.uk

Dave W <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> On 21 Apr 2003 08:18:29 -0700, [email protected] (Spider) wrote:
>
> >Dave W <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> >> On 20 Apr 2003 12:55:18 -0700, [email protected] (Spider) wrote:
> >>
> >> (Snip overwritten crapola!)
> >
> >Maybe. But it *is* original.
> >
> >Hump, hump, hump - wonk, wonk, wonk.
> >
> >[eg irony]
> >
> >Spider
>
> You do a mean swedish chef there humpy!

I prefer to pattern myself after Dr. Bunsen Honeydew's assistant, Beaker.

:)

Spider

[email protected] (Spider) wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...

> I think about darsh. What would I do if I couldn't ride any more? I'd find something else to do,
> I'm sure. Then I think about my dad. He had all kinds of plans, and they got cut short when renal
> cell carcinoma took over his body and killed him in less than a year. Better get out and do now,
> while I can. Since I can. No more worries about how my weak legs and different bike on an
> unfamiliar trail are sucking. I guess stuff doesn't suck so much, now that I think about
> it. Time to head back - I got stuff to do.

On the first of April my dad spent the whole day gardening and working on remodeling his house for a
family reunion he was hosting on Memorial Day. He went to bed that night and never woke up,
apparently he had a massive heart attack, he was only 63 years old.

Things like this tend to put your small worries in perspective.

> pretty good, too.

I almost never rode until two years ago, now I don't know what I would do if I couldn't ride
anymore. Right now my bike is my mistress and my therapist I don't know how I would cope if
I couldn't ride. Like you said I suppose I would find a way to cope without riding but it
would be tough.

>
>
> R. Jones (Spider)

Happy Easter Spider and all of you in the group.

-- The Ogre http://ogrehut.com

Dave W <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> On 20 Apr 2003 12:55:18 -0700, [email protected] (Spider) wrote:
>
> (Snip overwritten crapola!)
>
>
> I see what you mean Travis!
>
> Dave (thanks for the example!)

Some Asshole Wrote this tripe
| And I've bowed out (not too gracefully I must say) from engaging in that snappy banter. But some
| can't leave **** alone. (Right Spider?)

Let's take a second to compare behavior here. You post a short ride report with more references to
Spider and JD than your bike. Spider posts a ride report which doesn't even mention you. You are
instantly all over his ****. Please explain how this is "bowing out". As Pete kindly pointed out to
you, you continually try to act the part of the victem while you are the one provoking most of the
flame wars.

Yes JD and Spider mercilessly hound anyone who gives them ****. But they generally don't f*ck with
people who leave them alone, which is why most people have no sympathy for you. The only reason
anyone has ANY sympathy for you is that you are so pathetic in your lame tirades.

-- The Ogre http://ogrehut.com

On 22 Apr 2003 21:05:43 -0700, [email protected] (The Ogre) wrote:

>Dave W <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
>> On 20 Apr 2003 12:55:18 -0700, [email protected] (Spider) wrote:
>>
>> (Snip overwritten crapola!)
>>
>>
>> I see what you mean Travis!
>>
>> Dave (thanks for the example!)
>
>Some Asshole Wrote this tripe
>| And I've bowed out (not too gracefully I must say) from engaging in that snappy banter. But some
>| can't leave **** alone. (Right Spider?)
>
>Let's take a second to compare behavior here. You post a short ride report with more references to
>Spider and JD than your bike.

Really, 1 small reference to JD (a jest!) And a few toward Spider (who deserves it for being a ****)
Um, lessee about 6 or 7 words in a 70 word post. Read again pea brain.

Spider
>posts a ride report which doesn't even mention you. You are instantly all over his ****.

because it is ****!

Please explain how this is "bowing out".

I did before. Not this time, what's it to ya?

As Pete
>kindly pointed out to you,

Pete doesn't point anything out kindly. You're new aren't you?

you continually try to act the part of the
>victem while you are the one provoking most of the flame wars.

Not at all, simply defending myself against two of the more antagonistic folks in the group. Again,
what do you care?
>
>Yes JD and Spider mercilessly hound anyone who gives them ****. But they generally don't f*ck with
>people who leave them alone,

HA. This is total ********. Your newness is showing again.

which is
>why most people have no sympathy for you. The only reason anyone has ANY sympathy for you is that
>you are so pathetic in your lame tirades.
>
>-- The Ogre http://ogrehut.com

Thanks. I needed that.

[email protected] (The Ogre) wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> [email protected] (Spider) wrote in message
> news:<[email protected]>...
>
> > I think about darsh. What would I do if I couldn't ride any more? I'd find something else to do,
> > I'm sure. Then I think about my dad. He had all kinds of plans, and they got cut short when
> > renal cell carcinoma took over his body and killed him in less than a year. Better get out and
> > do now, while I can. Since I can. No more worries about how my weak legs and different bike on
> > an unfamiliar trail are sucking. I guess stuff doesn't suck so much, now that I think about
> > it. Time to head back - I got stuff to do.
>
> On the first of April my dad spent the whole day gardening and working on remodeling his house for
> a family reunion he was hosting on Memorial Day. He went to bed that night and never woke up,
> apparently he had a massive heart attack, he was only 63 years old.

Damn. Well, I had a year to say goodbye. I'm lucky in that way, I guess. If one could use "luck" in
this context. I'm sorry about your dad - how are you and the rest of the fam holding up?

> Things like this tend to put your small worries in perspective.

Yup.

> > I'm glad I can ride. I'm glad to be alive to ride. I think about darsh somemore, and what I
> > would say to him. I can't think of anything. The sunroof is open, and the music is playing. This
> > is pretty good, too.
>
> I almost never rode until two years ago, now I don't know what I would do if I couldn't ride
> anymore. Right now my bike is my mistress and my therapist I don't know how I would cope if I
> couldn't ride. Like you said I suppose I would find a way to cope without riding but it would
> be tough.

I've got other stuff I could do, but MTBing allows me to do a bunch of the stuff that I like all in
one. I get to ride my bike (hell, I just like riding - doesn't matter where) I get to get into the
woods, I get to see birds and trees and streams. I get to work out, and remove this damn persistent
beer-belly. Maybe if I stopped drinking beer...

No! Some things are sacrosanct. ;)

Glad you liked the RR, and I'll serve up more when I have more material. Or pull a Wheeler and
cut-n-paste, LOL!

Spider

[email protected] (Spider) wrote in message
> >
> > > I think about darsh. What would I do if I couldn't ride any more? I'd find something else to
> > > do, I'm sure. Then I think about my dad. He had all kinds of plans, and they got cut short
> > > when renal cell carcinoma took over his body and killed him in less than a year. Better get
> > > out and do now, while I can. Since I can. No more worries about how my weak legs and different
> > > bike on an unfamiliar trail are sucking. I guess stuff doesn't suck so much, now that I think
> > > about
> > > it. Time to head back - I got stuff to do.
> >
> > On the first of April my dad spent the whole day gardening and working on remodeling his house
> > for a family reunion he was hosting on Memorial Day. He went to bed that night and never woke
> > up, apparently he had a massive heart attack, he was only 63 years old.
>
> Damn. Well, I had a year to say goodbye. I'm lucky in that way, I guess. If one could use "luck"
> in this context. I'm sorry about your dad - how are you and the rest of the fam holding up?
>

We're doing Ok now, I still get choked up at wierd things. The other day I found a bunch of emails
my dad had sent to me. When I do my vacation planning visiting dad in Kansas is out of the question,
that sort of thing.

> > Things like this tend to put your small worries in perspective.
>
> Yup.
>
> > > I'm glad I can ride. I'm glad to be alive to ride. I think about darsh somemore, and what I
> > > would say to him. I can't think of anything. The sunroof is open, and the music is playing.
> > > This is pretty good, too.
> >
> > I almost never rode until two years ago, now I don't know what I would do if I couldn't ride
> > anymore. Right now my bike is my mistress and my therapist I don't know how I would cope if I
> > couldn't ride. Like you said I suppose I would find a way to cope without riding but it would be
> > tough.
>
> I've got other stuff I could do, but MTBing allows me to do a bunch of the stuff that I like all
> in one. I get to ride my bike (hell, I just like riding - doesn't matter where) I get to get into
> the woods, I get to see birds and trees and streams. I get to work out, and remove this damn
> persistent beer-belly. Maybe if I stopped drinking beer...

Yes, all that and more. I'm not a big beer drinker but I'm trying to work off 7 years of desk job
padding. I think I've rolled back about 4 years worth.

> Glad you liked the RR, and I'll serve up more when I have more material. Or pull a Wheeler and
> cut-n-paste, LOL!

Later, -- The Ogre http://ogrehut.com

Dave W <[email protected]> wrote in message

> I did before.

Yes that seems to be your pattern, you loudly and publicly swear off getting involved in flame wars
with JD/ Spider/ etc, and then two days later when you are on a bing you start back in. I think this
helps you feel like a victem more.

> Not this time, what's it to ya?

Just tired of your pathetic whining.

> >As Pete kindly pointed out to you,
>
> Pete doesn't point anything out kindly. You're new aren't you?

No Pete never pulls punches he has pointed things out to me in a rather abrupt fashion as well, I
got over it. http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=sarcasm

> >Yes JD and Spider mercilessly hound anyone who gives them ****. But they generally don't f*ck
> >with people who leave them alone,

> HA. This is total ********. Your newness is showing again.

I suppose a quick search on Google is too much to expect from someone of your mental stature. I
haven't been around quite as long as you've been whining about being abused but pretty damned close.
You probably didn't notice since I usually ignore the flame wars and stick to relevant threads.

-- The Ogre (Posting on AM-B since Nov 2001) http://ogrehut.com

On 24 Apr 2003 09:29:55 -0700, The Ogre wrote:

> We're doing Ok now, I still get choked up at wierd things. The other day I found a bunch of emails
> my dad had sent to me. When I do my vacation planning visiting dad in Kansas is out of the
> question, that sort of thing.

Good to hear things are getting back to normal. We humans can be very resilient, if we just muster
the strength to be so.

I gotta ask - where in Kansas? You from there? I spent my formative years in the middle of nowhere
near Manhattan, and went to school at K-state. Had my first girl and my first beer ("three-two" of
course) in Kansas. I've spent a grand total of two days in that state since graduation (in
1982)!

--
-BB- To reply to me, drop the attitude (from my e-mail address, at least)

On 24 Apr 2003 09:21:14 -0700, [email protected] (The Ogre) wrote:

>Dave W <[email protected]> wrote in message You probably didn't notice since I usually ignore the
>flame wars and stick to relevant threads.

You should continue to do so then. Thanks for your thoughts on the matter.

>
>-- The Ogre (Posting on AM-B since Nov 2001) http://ogrehut.com

Status
Not open for further replies.