The Psychology of Cycling

In message <[email protected]>, Chain male <[email protected]> writes
>[> 6) Anything I've missed out? Lots. Don't you need to know who is cycling (in terms of
>> age/gender/social
>class etc) in order to make sense of your results?
>>
>Thanks for replying,
>
>Your right, I would. Most of the people I will be asking to take part in the research will be of a
>particular age and user-type. However, these user-types probably over lap - eg commuters who also
>do road racing in their free time. The research I will be doing enables me to explore these details
>in a focused way, rather than just saying that there were more users of a particular
>age/gender/social class in a particular group. So its more about experience than prediction - much
>more useful for stimulating further research in a fresh area.
>
>Thanks again for your input.
>

>--
>Chain Male

I think you're taking the pee. You won't reveal your identity and your standard of English is below
that of a Masters programme student.
--
Michael MacClancy

"Chain male" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I am about to conduct some research into the motives behind bicycle use. I am in need of your
> views and opinions on why people - or more specifically, you - cycle. If you feel like posting
> your opinion and giving me a hand, consider the following:
>
> 1) Why, on the occassions that you cycyle, do you choose to cycle rather than use other forms of
> transport?

To get to where I am going! I don't drive, Bath is a four hour walk away (if I walk quickly!) if I
want to go there, I am too tight to use public transport and I get to work quicker than most of my
car driving colleagues. Its a no-brainer really!

> 2) How does cycling make you feel and in which situations?

Horny. out of breath. ****** off, wet (if its raining or if the weather is really warm) and smug
(when passing cagers stuck in one of Trowbridge's many traffic-light induced traffic jams)

> 3) How do you think the general public view cyclists?

The Cagers view us as vermin, even when they aren't in their metal box. Ped don't see us.

> 4) Do think that cycylists look at other bicycles and judge it, and its
owner, in the same way that car drivers do?

I don't know. Unlike the car, bikes are generally used for the perpose they were designed for. For
example, it would be hard to use a carbon framed road bike do do down-hill mountain-biking. When was
the last time you saw a 4x4? I bet it wasn't actually doing any off-roading, and I would also bet it
didn't have too many signs of doing any either (mud on it, dead ramblers hanging from the bumpers,
that kind of thing)

The bonk; Oh ****, they built a road up THAT!; Oi, get off moi laand; Flying paving slabs...

> 6) Anything I've missed out?

Yeah, lots and lots of things...

Pete White

On Tue, 08 Apr 2003 02:00:27 +0950, Chain male wrote:

> I am about to conduct some research into the motives behind bicycle use. I am in need of your
> views and opinions on why people - or more specifically, you - cycle. If you feel like posting
> your opinion and giving me a hand, consider the following:
>
> 1) Why, on the occassions that you cycyle, do you choose to cycle rather than use other forms of
> transport?

Convenience, health, and 'green' issues - for short journeys.

Cost - long journeys can be wearying if their purpose is transport rather than pleasure. Some
hobbies like gliding / hillwalking would be much easier with a car.

> 2) How does cycling make you feel and in which situations?

Sharper.

> 3) How do you think the general public view cyclists?

As a menace (pedestrians); as an annoyance (drivers); as a danger to themselves (all of the above).
Mostly we only get negative feedback so it's easy to get defensive - perhaps unnecessarily.

> 4) Do think that cylists look at other bicycles and judge it, and its owner, in the same way that
> car drivers do?

Many 'utility' cyclists cosmetically assault their bicycles to make them less desirable to
thieves - I can't imagine many car drivers doing this. On the other hand, seeing students ride
around town on sparkly mountain bikes with huge knobbly tyres or miniature BMX's with a single
gear, I think cycling must be as subject to fashion as car-driving amongst many (perhaps most)
people who buy bikes.

> 5) What do you think are the main issues surrounding bicycle use?

Training of both cyclists and drivers - cycling safely is as difficult and IMO requires as much
knowledge as driving safely. I think many drivers assume I'm intentionally impeding them when I
ride out from car doors - if they understood more about cycling perhaps they'd be more
sympathetic and we'd get less agro. I've often had conversations along the lines of 'Is it legal
to cycle on A-roads?'

> 6) Anything I've missed out?
>
> I am hoping to get the research published. So any views and opinions you post will hopefully go
> some way to aiding cyclists being catered for more effectively.
>
> Many thanks

Wow. I'm willing to bet a decent percentage of people here were not expecting that. :) I, and I'm
sure others here, would be fascinated to see the results of this, and also how you went about
developing the set of silhouettes you will use.

Here's my answers, with extra information thrown in based on my own idea of what might be
useful to you.

1) Why, on the occassions that you cycle, do you choose to cycle rather than use other forms of
transport?

I cycle to work pretty much every week day. It is faster than the bus and both cheaper and faster
than a taxi (since I have to locate one of those which can sometimes be very hard). I don't own a
car since I consider them much more of an encumberance than a benefit. Note that I could afford a
car if I chose. I suppose I'd have to get a driving licence too, but looking around the roads I
can't imagine that to be all that hard. If I did own my own car it would probably be slightly faster
than cycling (traffic is quite bad along any possible route I could take), it would certainly be
far, far more expensive. I often cycle in to the city centre for shopping purposes. If this involves
actual buying of stuff I'll sometimes use public transport since carrying heavy loads is awkward on
the bike. If the shopping is more along the lines of looking rather than buying, I'll cycle. I also
cycle around to visit relatives and such like. This is partly because it is more convenient for me,
but also partly because I want to get some excercise at the weekend, especially when it involves
being out in the sunshine on nice days like today. :)

2) How does cycling make you feel and in which situations?

Heh, well this is quite the vague question isn't it. ;) When I get up an hour before work it makes
me feel like I will get to work on time. Unlike when I used to use public transport (including taxi)
which made me feel like I had a 50% chance of being on time, 25% chance of being 5 - 15 minutes late
and 25% chance of being anything up to an hour late.

When I have close calls with motorised vehicles, or I'm deliberately (or through carelessness)
obstructed or otherwise abused it makes me feel angry. it also makes me feel that some people are
unable to show consideration for others, even to the extent of refraining from risking injury to
them, and the state should therefore force them through imposition of draconian penalties. For
example:- 'Dooring'
- Firebrigade called to remove said door with jaws of life 'Side street traffic pulling across cycle
lane _before_ checking if any real traffic is coming'
- Sledgehammer used to remodel right-front wing to resemble relief map of grand canyon. 'Passing
too close'
- Car has transponder added which causes all cyclists within range to sprout spnning blade (a la
Robot Wars) two feet out of right side. 'Usage of car horn combined with rapid passing maneuver to
signal displeasure at cyclist for delay'
- Car horn removed and surgically inserted in drivers rectum. Car horn to remain attached to car
battery and remote activator issued to all cyclists. 'Verbal abuse'
- Forcible insertion of a turnip in to mouth to be held in place with gaffer tape. Duration of
'turnipping' and rottenness of said turnip to depend on the quality and quantity of abuse.
'Physical threats or harrassment'
- Stripped naked, gravy spread over body, pepperami inserted in available orrifices and locked in
room with angry, starving rottweilers for amount of time dependant on severity of offence.
'Intentional usage of vehicle as a weapon causing actual injure to cyclist'
- Witness cubing of car (penis extension) followed by removal of actual penis. That is, the
traditional punishment, to wit 'cut their ghoulies off'. Penalty for female offenders being
worked on.

* in case you're wondering those are jokes. I do believe that current punishments are generally
pathetic though. Large fines, longer bans along with a _lot_ more permanent bans and a lot more
jail time for intentional injury. I'm sorry, 'I just meant to knock him off, not mangle him' just
doesn't cut it as an excuse with me.

3) How do you think the general public view cyclists?

I don't think they think about cyclists at all much to be honest. Bear in mind of course that most
of the general public would be motorists who don't happen to be in their car at the moment though
right? When people in work realise I cycle they either think I am crazy or seem to think that they'd
like to do that too. This reaction kind of depends on the current weather conditions. Some motorists
I've talked to consider cyclists to be a danger to themselves and others. They essentially think of
cyclists as the scum of the earth. They cite the stealth cyclist as a menace. I think the reasoning
is that they will be traumatised by the experience of mangling one if they hit one. I also think
that they feel they can't see even quite well lit cyclists without paying more attention and since
more attention equals more effort and perhaps slower speeds they don't want to. Additionally this
seems to be a bit of a pre-rationalisation in case they ever do hit a cyclist. I've seen people just
assume that any cyclist that gets hit was 'one of them guys with no lights all dressed in black,
impossible to see them'. They cite they they 'never obey the rules of the road'. The reasoning seems
to be that they don't consider it fair that cyclists seem to be able to skip red lights with
impunity while they can't (unless it's just gone red in which case it doesn't count). This boils
down to jealousy. While the contention that 'all cyclists' do this is clearly false, in the cases of
cyclists who do habitually break red lights I agree that they should be brought to book for it. They
cite that cyclist flit in and out of traffic and it's only a matter of time before they get hit. I
think this is once again jealousy and anger at the fact that (some) cyclists play the game of
navigating busy traffic better than they can.

4) Do think that cycylists look at other bicycles and judge it, and its owner, in the same way that
car drivers do?

I think that most drivers don't pay much attention to cyclists other than as vulnerable traffic that
needs attention while they are nearby (in good cases) to damned annoying obstructions that need to
be overtaken asap (in bad cases). Therefore I'm assuming you mean 'the same way that car drivers
judge other car/driver combinations'.

Maybe. Probably in fact. There is not as much easily identifiable variety of bike as their are cars.
If I am next to someone at the lights I probably won't notice what chain set they have for example.
I notice people on flashy road bikes and I do treat them differently. I assume that they will be
faster than me so I don't overtake them at lights or if they happen to be moving slowly for a
moment. I do tend to feel a bit superior if they turn out to be slower than me despite their €1000+
bike (that's a bad attribute of mine I suppose). I also am more annoyed if they commit flagrant
abuses of the highway code than if some old dear on a 50 year old beater does since I assume they
are more experienced road users and therefore know exactly what they are doing.

5) What do you think are the main issues surrounding bicycle use?

Most people here could write a book on this, and I just don't have time. The first one that springs
to mind is the general assumption that cyclists are 2nd class road users that really shouldn't be
there. Road Tax (yes I know it doesn't really exist etc.) payers assume they own the road. The
apparent disregard people can show for cyclists safety when they use their cars in a dangerous
manner. The lack of understanding of cycling shown by some people that are spending a ton of
taxpayers (ie: our) money on cycle facilities that are worse than nothing.

6) Anything I've missed out?

Probably. Almost certainly in fact, but nothing immediatly springs to mind.

Eric.

<snip> the benefits of cycling can also be experienced independently of the environment </snip> So I
can get fitter even if I never actually get on my bike??! Great!!

Still no name...still no grammar checking ('pass time'?!?!)...and isn't MSc spelt with a capital S?

Something doesn't seem quite right.

---------------------------
Peter Connolly Acute Computing Derby UK

Chain male <[email protected]> wrote:

> I am currently in the second half of my Msc in Environmental Psychology at Guildford University. I
> love cycling, both as a pass time and as a means for transport. I have never used a forum before,
> which may go some way to explaining my lapse in etiquette.

University of Surrey surely?

Tony

--
http://www.raven-family.com

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable man persists in trying to
adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George
Bernard Shaw

Chain male <[email protected]> wrote in message :

> 1) Why, on the occasions that you cycle, do you choose to cycle rather than use other forms of
> transport?

Free exercise. Commuting by bike takes 90 minutes a day, so I don't have to visit a gym. I am also
very self reliant, I don't have to wait for buses or taxis to arrive. I can visit the city centre
at will without worrying about getting a parking spot and traffic jams are more a source of
amusement than anything else. Can eat and drink without worrying about gaining weight. Can ride
home along Humber estuary which no motor vehicle can do. I can stop for a couple of pints in a pub
without worrying about my licence.

> 2) How does cycling make you feel and in which situations?

There's nothing like the feeling of being very fit and looking at obese car drivers smoking
cigarettes in stationary traffic and never wanting to swap places.

3) How do you think the general public view cyclists?

It varies. On wet, cold and windy days they will think "poor sods can't afford a car and there they
are, having to ride to work". On a hot sunny day they may want to swap places. Otherwise we are
viewed as law breakers with no lights and no knowledge of the Highway Code.

> 4) Do think that cyclists look at other bicycles and judge it, and its owner, in the same way that
> car drivers do?

Yes. If I see a punter with a work's jacket on riding a 70 quid MTB, I'll overtake it. If it's a
roadie with frog's legs, I won't bother.

In article <[email protected]>, junk@raven- family.com says...
> Chain male <[email protected]> wrote:
> >
> > I am currently in the second half of my Msc in Environmental Psychology at Guildford University.
> > I love cycling, both as a pass time and as a means for transport. I have never used a forum
> > before, which may go some way to explaining my lapse in etiquette.
> >

> University of Surrey surely?

:)

Maybe Guildford Univerity is like one of those odd USian pseudo-unis that have addresses above shops
and will do you a degree for the right price?

Colin

Michael MacClancy <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...

> I think you're taking the pee. You won't reveal your identity and your standard of English is
> below that of a Masters programme student.

Below that of the average primary school student I'd have thought.

--
Dave...

Chain male <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> I am about to conduct some research into the motives behind bicycle use. I am in need of your
> views and opinions on why people - or more specifically, you - cycle. If you feel like posting
> your opinion and giving me a hand, consider the following:
>
> 1) Why, on the occassions that you cycyle, do you choose to cycle rather than use other forms of
> transport?

Its pretty hard to get a car down the singletrack at glentress

> 2) How does cycling make you feel and in which situations?

I get angry when pedestrians/motorists/other cyclist get in my way, but quickly forget as my anger
channelled into the ride.

> 3) How do you think the general public view cyclists?
They think were mad (of this I am convinced)

> 4) Do think that cycylists look at other bicycles and judge it, and its owner, in the same way
> that car drivers do?

I pay silent homage to riders of quality machines but do not look down on those whos bikes are of
poorer quality, i feel sorry for cyclists whos machines are in poor condition because they cannot be
getting the most of their ride.

> 5) What do you think are the main issues surrounding bicycle use?

ignorant road users and pedestrians, partners who do not understand the need to ride.

> 6) Anything I've missed out?

don't get me started.... ;-)

On 8 Apr 2003 02:00:27 +0950, Chain male <[email protected]> wrote:

>I am about to conduct some research into the motives behind bicycle use. I am in need of your views
>and opinions on why people - or more specifically, you - cycle. If you feel like posting your
>opinion and giving me a hand, consider the following:
>
>1) Why, on the occassions that you cycyle, do you choose to cycle rather than use other forms of
> transport?

It's my default mode of transport. I'll only use other forms if cycling is impractical for some
reason. If it helps, the reasons it may be impractical include:

- too far (>5 miles for utility cycling in normal clothes)
- no parking at destination
- can't be arsed (happens occasionally)
- social expectations (ie it might be physically practical)

>2) How does cycling make you feel and in which situations?

- Tired (after about 50 miles)
- Vulnerable if I have to cycle past groups of youths at night

>3) How do you think the general public view cyclists?

- Odd

>4) Do think that cycylists look at other bicycles and judge it, and its owner, in the same way that
> car drivers do?

- Yes.

>5) What do you think are the main issues surrounding bicycle use?

- A culture of cycling is missing in most areas of UK - it is an odd thing for an adult to do and
requires explanation.

On Wed, 09 Apr 2003 20:51:02 +0100, [Not Responding] <[email protected]> wrote:
> On 8 Apr 2003 02:00:27 +0950, Chain male
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>>4) Do think that cycylists look at other bicycles and judge it, and its owner, in the same way
>> that car drivers do?
>
> - Yes.

Not me. But then I have trouble telling a Ferrari from a Porsche[1], and I had to ask someone at
work what a Scooby was.

OTOH, I do tend to notice their gear/cadence/speed.

[1] I can tell the difference once I'm close enough to read the badge :)

Tim.

On Mon, 07 Apr 2003 12:10:27 -0400, Chain male wrote:

> I am about to conduct some research into the motives behind bicycle use. I am in need of your
> views and opinions on why people - or more specifically, you - cycle. If you feel like posting
> your opinion and giving me a hand, consider the following:
>
> 1) Why, on the occassions that you cycyle, do you choose to cycle rather than use other forms of
> transport?

You're assuming I cycle for transport. While that's true part of the time, most of my miles are for
sport, not transport, and most of my rides end back at the ride start. You might want to compare
cycling with other forms of sport or exercise, as well as with other forms of transportation.

Now I have a question. Are you are a troll, or are you simply in need of some remedial English
coursework?

In message <[email protected]>, Chain male <[email protected]> writes
>I am about to conduct some research into the motives behind bicycle use. I am in need of your views
>and opinions on why people - or more specifically, you - cycle. If you feel like posting your
>opinion and giving me a hand, consider the following:
>
>1) Why, on the occassions that you cycyle, do you choose to cycle rather than use other forms of
> transport?

I cycle almost purely for exercise so the most common alternative form of transport would be
running. I find running and cycling complementary and cycling helps prevent injuries caused by too
much running. Occasionally I will cycle to the shops or pub in which case the bike replaces the car
or walking. The reason is that on a bike I'm out in the air and it's faster than walking.

>2) How does cycling make you feel and in which situations?

Complete. There's something about the efficiency of cycling that appeals to me. I feel very much 'at
home' on a bike.

>3) How do you think the general public view cyclists?

I don't think they really 'view' them at all. Almost everyone has ridden a bike and many people own
them so it's not something that people will generally have opinions about.

>4) Do think that cycylists look at other bicycles and judge it, and its owner, in the same way that
> car drivers do?

The people on this NG probably take a keener interest in what other people ride than the wider
cycling population will but, perhaps, not quite as much as some more fashion statement oriented
mountain bikers. I have an interest in other bikes but wouldn't judge the owner by the bike. I don't
judge car owners by their cars, either.

>5) What do you think are the main issues surrounding bicycle use?

Road safety. There is a perception that cycling is much more dangerous than it actually is,
reinforced by the widespread installation of cycle lanes which are often more of a hindrance than a
help. The pro-helmet lobby also generates unnecessarily negative perceptions about cycling. Motorist
training should concentrate more on the correct actions to be taken around cyclists and should seek
to develop more considerate drivers. Cyclist training should be more widely available and advertised
for those who want it.

>6) Anything I've missed out?

You should ask where people cycle. My cycling is almost wholly rural, about 75% on road and 25%
in forests.

>I am hoping to get the research published. So any views and opinions you post will hopefully go
>some way to aiding cyclists being catered for more effectively.
>
>Many thanks
>

>--
>Chain Male

Michael MacClancy

On Wed, 9 Apr 2003 21:52:54 +0000 (UTC), Tim Woodall <[email protected]> wrote:

> Not me. But then I have trouble telling a Ferrari from a Porsche[1], and I had to ask someone at
> work what a Scooby was.

Ahem. What's a Scooby?

Ian

--
Ian Walker Remove the yummy paste in my address to reply. Homepage: http://www.drianwalker.com

On Thu, 10 Apr 2003 08:31:34 GMT, Ian Walker <[email protected]> wrote:
> On Wed, 9 Apr 2003 21:52:54 +0000 (UTC), Tim Woodall <[email protected]> wrote:
>

>> Not me. But then I have trouble telling a Ferrari from a Porsche[1], and I had to ask someone at
>> work what a Scooby was.
>>

> Ahem. What's a Scooby?

Suburu Impreza. (Which, I am told, is a fast car but given that I can't recognise them despite
someone in the office driving one, I can't tell you how many I have overtaken on my bike. I suspect
the frequency of me overtaking is more a function of their proportion of the car population and less
a function of how fast they can (or can't) go)

Regards,

Tim.

On Thu, 10 Apr 2003 10:12:33 +0100, Maureen <[email protected]> wrote:

> "Ian Walker" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:eek:[email protected]...
>> Ahem. What's a Scooby?
>>
>> Ian
>>
>> --
>> Ian Walker Remove the yummy paste in my address to reply. Homepage: http://www.drianwalker.com
>

> Scooby Do - Clue. I think, if not, I don`t have a Scooby :)
>
> Maureen

Ah, I knew that. I thought from the context it was something to do with cars.

Ian

--
Ian Walker Remove the yummy paste in my address to reply. Homepage: http://www.drianwalker.com

> 1) Why, on the occassions that you cycyle, do you choose to cycle rather than use other forms of
> transport?

Why not, especially if it's faster and more fun.

> 2) How does cycling make you feel and in which situations?

good - at the top of Mont Ventoux

not good - being given a ticket for obstruction by Officer Dalrymple of the US Park Police

not good - on discovering that my company gives paid time off for serving on a jury, paid time off
for being a witness in court, but not paid time off for being a defendant

good - on a nice spring day

not good - watching my map dissolve into mush and finding the weak points in my rain gear.

good - coming into the office with ice all over my beard, watching the awe struck looks on
everybody's faces

good - riding past all the cardines stuck in a traffic jam

not good - seeing yet another stupid bike lane

It depends on the situation, really.

> 3) How do you think the general public view cyclists?

It depends on the person. Who cares, anyway.

> 4) Do think that cycylists look at other bicycles and judge it, and its owner, in the same way
> that car drivers do?

Of course. I always look to see whether cars are fitted with corn-cob gears, or a battered karrimore
saddle-bag.

You can't chat up random female motorists in quite the same way. However, it is essential to chat to
all those girls on horses - no need to explain that you are really talking to the horse, not her, so
the horse doesn't get spooked.

> 5) What do you think are the main issues surrounding bicycle use?

The decline in service from trains and airlines. All those stupid bike facilities.

> 6) Anything I've missed out?

Undoubtedly, but nothing immediately springs to mind

> I am hoping to get the research published. So any views and opinions you post will hopefully go
> some way to aiding cyclists being catered for more effectively.

I suggest that a minimum requirement for anyone who wishes to "cater for me more effectively" is
that they ride at least 4000 miles a year, and be prepared, when necessary, to tell their bosses to
go **** themselves.

Jeremy Parker