The Ugly Baby is Born!

Bill Porter

Guest
Miles had his fourth for his SS Tucson team bail out so he asked to join the team early this week.
The thing is that I have always been on the MTB 12 step program (3 in front, 9 in back). Now I have
been itching to try out the SS thing for a while but up until now have not had enough motivation.
So with all of the challenges of getting a bike together, getting a little time on the bike and
then racing I said what the heck. So I put down a couple hundred bones for a Redline Monocog frame
and wheelset (I know some bad reviews but hey it was cheap). The rest I had laying around for the
most part.

I have dubbed this ride "The Ugly Baby" (The one no one wants to hold)

http://www.mountainbikebill.com/images/misc/MonoCogSide.jpg

Tomorrow I take her out for a shake down cruise. Wish my Quads Luck!

Bill Porter www.mountainbikebill.com

"Bill Porter" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Miles had his fourth for his SS Tucson team bail out so he asked to join the team early this week.
> The thing is that I have always been on the MTB 12 step program (3 in front, 9 in back). Now I
> have been itching to try out the SS thing for a while but up until now have not had enough
> motivation. So with all of the challenges of getting a bike together, getting a little time on the
> bike and then racing I said what the heck. So I put down a couple hundred bones for a Redline
> Monocog frame and wheelset (I know some bad reviews but hey it was cheap). The rest I had laying
> around for the most part.
>
> I have dubbed this ride "The Ugly Baby" (The one no one wants to hold)
>
> http://www.mountainbikebill.com/images/misc/MonoCogSide.jpg
>
> Tomorrow I take her out for a shake down cruise. Wish my Quads Luck!
>
> Bill Porter www.mountainbikebill.com

everybody knows that you don't think your own kids are ugly.........that's for others to decide!

I just think it's funny (interesting) how you drop 4,500 on a Spyder but build up a SS for 200
bucks! where's the priorities?

you do know that the new bike has slighlty less travel in the back than what you're used to right?
Considering you've been on a HT what, once in three years you better leave the Spyder home for all
your rides in the next two weeks. Then, let me borrow it since it should fit just fine! :)

Michael

On Sat, 31 Jan 2004 05:31:48 GMT, "Michael Paul" <mfpaul
[email protected]> wrote:

>I just think it's funny (interesting) how you drop 4,500 on a Spyder but build up a SS for 200
>bucks! where's the priorities?

Dude, its simple math.

$200 for the 1 geared Ugly Spider has 27 possible gear combinations (Any cross chaining variables
are in significant for our purposes here) $200 x 27 = $5400

Now this might seem a little off but we have not yet compensated for chain length.

Now the Spider has 113 links in the chain The Ugly has only 95 links in the chain
95/113 = 84 percent 84% of $5400 is $4536

See it is all in balance :)

Bill "Derived from NY bestseller - Chick Math for Shoppers" Porter www.mountainbikebill.com

On Sat, 31 Jan 2004 03:18:04 GMT, [email protected]
(Bill Porter) wrote:

>Miles had his fourth for his SS Tucson team bail out so he asked to join the team early this week.
>The thing is that I have always been on the MTB 12 step program (3 in front, 9 in back). Now I have
>been itching to try out the SS thing for a while but up until now have not had enough motivation.
>So with all of the challenges of getting a bike together, getting a little time on the bike and
>then racing I said what the heck. So I put down a couple hundred bones for a Redline Monocog frame
>and wheelset (I know some bad reviews but hey it was cheap). The rest I had laying around for the
>most part.
>
>I have dubbed this ride "The Ugly Baby" (The one no one wants to hold)
>
>http://www.mountainbikebill.com/images/misc/MonoCogSide.jpg
>
>Tomorrow I take her out for a shake down cruise. Wish my Quads Luck!
>
>Bill Porter www.mountainbikebill.com

- Maiden Voyage RR - So I got out on the Ugly Baby today and I must say it was pretty cool. I really
like the speed at which you climb on one of these things. I expected my quads to be burning on a
couple of the climbs but that was not all that bad. However I spent more time in the anaerobic
zone on this trail today than have ever before. I have yet to find my form for using all of my
body on the hard out of the saddle efforts. There was several times were I got it right and I
could tell a difference that very instant. However most of the time was spent floundering around
out of the saddle. I made it up every thing, but I sure could tell I was wasting energy. There was
one climb (Cobbles) were my arms felt more like Jello than my legs at the top. What a full body
workout. I'm also glad I have a lockout on the fork, I came in real handy.

Oh well, I just have ride ride and ride some more before the TucSSon race!

On Sat, 31 Jan 2004 03:18:04 GMT, Bill Porter <[email protected]> wrote:
> Miles had his fourth for his SS Tucson team bail out so he asked to join the team early this week.
> The thing is that I have always been on the MTB 12 step program (3 in front, 9 in back). Now I
> have been itching to try out the SS thing for a while but up until now have not had enough
> motivation. So with all of the challenges of getting a bike together, getting a little time on the
> bike and then racing I said what the heck. So I put down a couple hundred bones for a Redline
> Monocog frame and wheelset (I know some bad reviews but hey it was cheap). The rest I had laying
> around for the most part.
>
> I have dubbed this ride "The Ugly Baby" (The one no one wants to hold)
>
> http://www.mountainbikebill.com/images/misc/MonoCogSide.jpg
>
> Tomorrow I take her out for a shake down cruise. Wish my Quads Luck!
>
> Bill Porter www.mountainbikebill.com

Looks pretty darn good to me man...welcome to assimilation. Maybe I'll get back down to see my bud
in C'bad one-o-these days and we can hit the flightline!

I did not have a chance to explore that riding area much last time we were there, but it looks like
it would be a mighty fun SS playground (just got a look at if from the Mt Calavera side across all
those "NO TRESPASSING" signs).

[email protected] (Bill Porter) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> On Sat, 31 Jan 2004 03:18:04 GMT, [email protected] (Bill Porter) wrote:
> - Maiden Voyage RR - So I got out on the Ugly Baby today and I must say it was pretty cool. I
> really like the speed at which you climb on one of these things. I expected my quads to be
> burning on a couple of the climbs but that was not all that bad. However I spent more time in
> the anaerobic zone on this trail today than have ever before. I have yet to find my form for
> using all of my body on the hard out of the saddle efforts. There was several times were I got
> it right and I could tell a difference that very instant. However most of the time was spent
> floundering around out of the saddle. I made it up every thing, but I sure could tell I was
> wasting energy. There was one climb (Cobbles) were my arms felt more like Jello than my legs at
> the top. What a full body workout. I'm also glad I have a lockout on the fork, I came in real
> handy.
>
> Oh well, I just have ride ride and ride some more before the TucSSon race!
>
> Bill Porter www.mountainbikebill.com

Good RR. The climbing dynamics will come together, and if your experience is "typical" whatever that
means, you'll probably find a
30/70 or even 60/40 ratio between upper and lower body. Especially on good climbs. Another day of
wet snow, here, but glad to hear somebody's getting out on their SS.

paladin

On 3 Feb 2004 14:10:45 GMT, Gman <[email protected]> wrote:

>Looks pretty darn good to me man...welcome to assimilation. Maybe I'll get back down to see my bud
>in C'bad one-o-these days and we can hit the flightline!
>
>I did not have a chance to explore that riding area much last time we were there, but it looks like
>it would be a mighty fun SS playground (just got a look at if from the Mt Calavera side across all
>those "NO TRESPASSING" signs).

No Trespassing Signs? Never seem em, really. I have not given Calavera any lovin in a while, I need
to get back out there. Maybe a Calavera - Flightline Combo.

Stephen Baker wrote:
> Hey, garrett - you forgot this thread....

This Stephen Baker is a real jerk.

Greg

On Wed, 04 Feb 2004 01:51:45 GMT, Bill Porter <[email protected]> wrote:
> On 3 Feb 2004 14:10:45 GMT, Gman <[email protected]> wrote:
>

>>Looks pretty darn good to me man...welcome to assimilation. Maybe I'll get back down to see my bud
>>in C'bad one-o-these days and we can hit the flightline!
>>
>>I did not have a chance to explore that riding area much last time we were there, but it looks
>>like it would be a mighty fun SS playground (just got a look at if from the Mt Calavera side
>>across all those "NO TRESPASSING" signs).

> No Trespassing Signs? Never seem em, really. I have not given Calavera any lovin in a while, I
> need to get back out there. Maybe a Calavera - Flightline Combo.
>
> Bill Porter www.mountainbikebill.com

Well we took that roller-coaster road from Mt Calavera over to near the flightline, but in front of
us was some farm that had signs...then we decided to try and go left and get around it, but we still
kinda traveled on some farm access roads and ended up next to a white housing subdivision with a big
wall and in front of us was some sort of antenna station with a bunch of "No Trespassing" signs.

Maybe we should've either just gone straight thru the farm land or gone to the right. My buddy works
next to the flightline and lives near
Mt. Calavera...he's been trying to find a legal way thru there for a while.