Things that **** me off about some Christians...

Im with karl marx; religion is definitely the opiate of the masses.

I was forced to attend a school where I was one of fourteen whites. There were 200something asians, 300something mexicans, and 500 blacks.

I would not have seen this as a problem, however the school was... ghetto.

This was in my seventh grade year. I came from a place where the school had an "optional\gifted" program where a select few students were siphoned off and kept completely isolated from those who could not meet 125 on the iq test.

Then I came to a school where a half-page paper with no polysyllabic words was acceptable for a term research project. YUCK!

My best 7th grade teacher would not let me read "Don Quixote" for a term report; she instead made me pick from a limited selection of books where the most advanced available was Roald Dahl's The Twits. Thus, I promptly had myself bumped into 8th grade, where at least complete simple sentences were required in writing.

This was not the worst of the school, however, as I soon discovered. The other children, the majority of which were black, were “Ghetto”. The girls had what they called “attitudes”; they would scream at teachers, etc. The boys were pure evil, I believe. They used to make daily attempts to smuggle buck knives into school, refer to all other blacks and mexicans as “that ****er” and whites as “cuz.” I cleverly made myself a target for hate on my first day by (A) being white, and (B) responding “no” to question “hey cuz, you got a religion?”

The other significant problem was the school philosophy of “a diverse education.”

When I first arrived, the entire class groaned and angrily screamed “we don’t need no more whites up in here” They hated me for this, and made many attempts to physically thrust me from the classroom. Worse yet, I started school sitting at a table with an iranian, 2 other whites, and the only black in the school who had respect for whites. He was not ghetto, and quite frankly I think he may have meen on of the best human beings I have ever known. But the teacher, throwing diversity at me, said “I want you to move to this table, for more diversity.” Sitting at the table where I was moved were 4 blacks with great hatred for my white self. So what does diversity mean again?

These people, almost every last one of the bastards, believed that their job was basketball. There are more black brain surgeons than basketball players, and even in that school there were almost enough blacks to fill the entire nba. So what’s the probablility that these people will make it? They would even go so far as to argue against working in class with statements like this one: “I’ve got a whole career in basketball ahead of me”

The majority of them wanted me, a white agnostic “fool”, dead.

Worse. They even talked about racism, loudly and aggressively. Calling me a racist when their initial reaction to me was “we don’t need no more whites up in here.” They did this constantly… and this was only pouring gasoline on the fire in my mind.

**** them. Kill them all. I hated the blacks, and I hated the mexicans and whites and asians who bought in on this culture with an even greater vengeance. All I wanted at that time was for something to purge their corrupt selves from this existence.

Now I look back on these bastards, my hate for the ghetto stronger than ever, my temple pulsating with rage, and realize that they had no hope other than the very slim chance that they would go pro with basketball… and they damn well knew it. Thus, they turned to a drug.

This “drug” is taken through the eyes and ears, and it remains with you forever.

It is addictive after just a few hits.

It is a hallucinogen, an opiate, and a stimulant.

It drives them, and more. It drives the majority of our society.

It is… blind, uneducated christianity.

Now would you, most of you educated, call me a racist? :confused:

Darjevon said:

I was forced to attend a school where I was one of fourteen whites. There were 200something asians, 300something mexicans, and 500 blacks.

I would not have seen this as a problem, however the school was... ghetto.

This was in my seventh grade year. I came from a place where the school had an "optional\gifted" program where a select few students were siphoned off and kept completely isolated from those who could not meet 125 on the iq test.

Then I came to a school where a half-page paper with no polysyllabic words was acceptable for a term research project. YUCK!

My best 7th grade teacher would not let me read "Don Quixote" for a term report; she instead made me pick from a limited selection of books where the most advanced available was Roald Dahl's The Twits. Thus, I promptly had myself bumped into 8th grade, where at least complete simple sentences were required in writing.

This was not the worst of the school, however, as I soon discovered. The other children, the majority of which were black, were “Ghetto”. The girls had what they called “attitudes”; they would scream at teachers, etc. The boys were pure evil, I believe. They used to make daily attempts to smuggle buck knives into school, refer to all other blacks and mexicans as “that ****er” and whites as “cuz.” I cleverly made myself a target for hate on my first day by (A) being white, and (B) responding “no” to question “hey cuz, you got a religion?”

The other significant problem was the school philosophy of “a diverse education.”

When I first arrived, the entire class groaned and angrily screamed “we don’t need no more whites up in here” They hated me for this, and made many attempts to physically thrust me from the classroom. Worse yet, I started school sitting at a table with an iranian, 2 other whites, and the only black in the school who had respect for whites. He was not ghetto, and quite frankly I think he may have meen on of the best human beings I have ever known. But the teacher, throwing diversity at me, said “I want you to move to this table, for more diversity.” Sitting at the table where I was moved were 4 blacks with great hatred for my white self. So what does diversity mean again?

These people, almost every last one of the bastards, believed that their job was basketball. There are more black brain surgeons than basketball players, and even in that school there were almost enough blacks to fill the entire nba. So what’s the probablility that these people will make it? They would even go so far as to argue against working in class with statements like this one: “I’ve got a whole career in basketball ahead of me”

The majority of them wanted me, a white agnostic “fool”, dead.

Worse. They even talked about racism, loudly and aggressively. Calling me a racist when their initial reaction to me was “we don’t need no more whites up in here.” They did this constantly… and this was only pouring gasoline on the fire in my mind.

**** them. Kill them all. I hated the blacks, and I hated the mexicans and whites and asians who bought in on this culture with an even greater vengeance. All I wanted at that time was for something to purge their corrupt selves from this existence.

Now I look back on these bastards, my hate for the ghetto stronger than ever, my temple pulsating with rage, and realize that they had no hope other than the very slim chance that they would go pro with basketball… and they damn well knew it. Thus, they turned to a drug.

This “drug” is taken through the eyes and ears, and it remains with you forever.

It is addictive after just a few hits.

It is a hallucinogen, an opiate, and a stimulant.

It drives them, and more. It drives the majority of our society.

It is… blind, uneducated christianity.

Now would you, most of you educated, call me a racist? :confused:

I knew you were posessing of an inordinate amt. of intelligence the 1st time I read one of you're post's. Now, my initial asessment has been validated . You seem to have been through hell. I have more respect for you after reading this post. See my sig. for my view & Article VI of the Constitution barring religious "litmus" test's for office. One would'nt guess this LAW by observing the christian, evangelical crusade going on within our society w/ the "flames" being fanned by Bush at Herr Rove's consul (Judge's/Schiavo) It's a disgrace :(

My dua sen...
There are as many paths as there are people (and probably small furry animals as well). This is why (some of) the governing bodies of the major organised monotheistic and polytheistic religions devote so much time and effort into reiterating the 'correct' path, both to believers and to gentiles / heathans / etc. The schisms that have happened as long as there have been collective views on theological matters, seem to be pretty natural when you are telling people who see the world with different ideas, what they should believe.
I have lived and worked in many places in this world, including places regarded as hotbeds of fundamentalism. The problem is generally not with people's beliefs, it is when they try to force those beliefs upon others.
This applies universally across the board and appears as an enigma to a 'free-thinker' - How can you force a belief? It can be done in many ways, but they all are based on a form of control, no matter how subtle that may be. I have seen incredible manipulation by missionary groups in the Highlands of Papua New Guinea, absolutely crushing the pre-existing cultural identity and means of independent survival of an indigenous people. Balanced against this, I have also seen missionary groups near the same area playing a truly supportive role that would be difficult to fault.
Whilst I believe what I believe, and I believe that it is right for me, I do not expect it to be right for anyone else in the world (including small furry animals), as it is merely my interpretation of the universe as I see it, using the tools and information at my disposal. I, personally, don't require a group of other people to back me up in my beliefs in order to establish that they are correct. I can understand how groups of people with similar beliefs find comfort in their commonality of thought and the structure that this can build, but I suspect that their will still be differences in each of there interpretations of what the universe is and how it functions.
Every morning, as I drive in to work, there is a programme on the radio where a man (presumably a cleric) elucidates in extremely well-spoken English on the 'correct' interpretations of aspects of the Qu'ran and Islamic practices. I am not a Muslim, but find it interesting to hear how detailed the 'authorised' interpretations are. Most of what I hear is really the basis for what I might call good general social conduct, but it still puzzles me that I, as a listener, should need to be told what I should inherently believe. There is nothing forceful in the presentation, but I find it interesting that organised religions need...organising..., incase one person's interpretation should differ from another.
Karl Marx's discourse is an excellent observation, especially if you take it that 'opiates' do have a role to play. I think it is a very fascinating part of the human makeup, that we need this void to be filled - even the atheist believing that he / she does not believe shows that there is a large part of our world view that is not universally pre-determined and our minds are open to mold our individual interpretations / beliefs.
That must be fully 2 cents worth...

Darjevon said:
I believe this also applies to Professional sport's in that the observer is overcome w/ fascination thus mollifying any concern about what's going on in our gov't.

wilmar13 said:
Adam and Eve is a metaphor, there never was an Adam or an Eve and no one with a brain (or a real Masters in Divinity) will tell you otherwise. For the most part religion is the opiate of the masses, and the masses are blithering idiots, but just be careful not to generalize everyone who may identify him/herself with some sort of belief in Christ as having the same belief system. For what it is worth, I am agnostic anyway... Of course creationism is equal in stupidity to the theory that we have evolved from a primordial ocean. The truth is somewhere between the two extremes. At any rate, I didn't see the word some in your title the first time, and yes many Christians do way more harm than good for their cause and this is just one example.
damn right. apology accepted :D

Originally Posted by wilmar13
Adam and Eve is a metaphor, there never was an Adam or an Eve and no one with a brain (or a real Masters in Divinity) will tell you otherwise. For the most part religion is the opiate of the masses, and the masses are blithering idiots, but just be careful not to generalize everyone who may identify him/herself with some sort of belief in Christ as having the same belief system. For what it is worth, I am agnostic anyway... Of course creationism is equal in stupidity to the theory that we have evolved from a primordial ocean. The truth is somewhere between the two extremes. At any rate, I didn't see the word some in your title the first time, and yes many Christians do way more harm than good for their cause and this is just one example.

I have some thoughts of the "somewhere between", but first I must say that for the longest time, I was a conservative Christian [perhaps a fundie], believing that way ever since I could remember [and I'm 36]. However, I [arguably] made the mistake of clicking on a link that I found on this board [not sure which thread it was] that took me to a site that caused me to rethink a lot of things. I'm sure some of you know the site. I saw very good arguments against a young earth, Noah's flood, as well as other things that caused the rethink.

I've come to a few conclusion that I [of course] cannot prove, but it is a possibility:

1. The 'world flood' is an alagory to show an aspect of God, that being one who abhors behavior labeled as sin. Came to this conclusion after the evidence against an actual world wide flood.

2. The creation story [and this is what ties in with the "somewhere between" statement] is a generalized, if not vague reference to God starting life on earth.

3. And most controversial, the 'acts of God' in the Bible, such as the many cities and people killed by the migrating Jews or elsewhere, were actually the following: The Jews destroyed a people group/city, they assumed then that it was the will of God, and that they were living righteously. If an invading force conquered the Jews, they assumed then that they were living in sin, and God was punishing them.

I have other conclusions, but I'll get to the creation part.

The title of 'Theistic Evolutionist' is what I think could be a good way to have the "somewhere between". In Genesis, it said that God created plants and animals 'of their own kind'. I take this to mean that God began life [however many millions/billions of years ago] in that God started the sequences of each type of animal and plant, such as the line of sparrows, and they learned to adapt to whatever environment they found themselves in [which is why there are many varieties of sparrows around the world]. Same for all varying species of plant or animal. The 'kind' was created, then that 'kind' microevolved. It solves the problem of macroevolution or a 'missing link' [unless it was a case where God decided to move a species in another direction].

This theory is [needless to say] not accepted in very many circles. Not the Christian, not the Atheist, but it is what I am beginning to think.

PseudoTrek said:
...This theory is [needless to say] not accepted in very many circles. Not the Christian, not the Atheist, but it is what I am beginning to think.
I think that a "theory" does not have to be accepted in any circle for it to have some validity for you. A belief is exactly that...a belief. I am impressed that you give value to examining what you, as an individual, actually believe, and are not bound by what others instruct you to believe. Your belief may be in accordance with others, but you arrived there by your own path.
I believe that Man created / creates God/s in his own image and that is why there are the profusion of disparate images. I don't claim that one is right and another is wrong, only that the one that is 'right' for one being is not necessarily right for another.

I am impressed that you give value to examining what you, as an individual, actually believe, and are not bound by what others instruct you to believe. Your belief may be in accordance with others, but you arrived there by your own path.

That is what some call faith.

I simply believe, or hope, that the energy that controls my body now will always have something to control, not necessarily in this universe and not necessarily human or animal, based on the fact that I cannot imagine being unable to move anything.

My new faith.

Darjevon said:
I simply believe, or hope, that the energy that controls my body now will always have something to control, not necessarily in this universe and not necessarily human or animal, based on the fact that I cannot imagine being unable to move anything.

My new faith.
...Could it be.........SATAN :eek: (The "Church Lady" from SNL ;) )

Darjevon said:
...My new faith.
Aaah! Moving towards existentialism. In an approximate recollection of Monty Python's Drunk Philosophers song:

Rene Descarte was a drunken fart - "I drink therefore I am".

EoinC said:
Aaah! Moving towards existentialism. In an approximate recollection of Monty Python's Drunk Philosophers song:

Rene Descarte was a drunken fart - "I drink therefore I am".
Hmmm... Is my philosophy relatively new? I must be off to get the patent. After all, a religion with no "hell" one could end up in might draw in enough religious gamblers to rival the big C. Who knows?

Darjevon said:
Hmmm... Is my philosophy relatively new? I must be off to get the patent. After all, a religion with no "hell" one could end up in might draw in enough religious gamblers to rival the big C. Who knows?
You may want to wait until all of the hoopla surrounding cruise & scientology trails off. Otherwise your msg. will be drowned out ;)

Darjevon said:
Creationism is ridiculous. It can be attacked by all the most basic principles of reason, and also scientific research (christians don't like carbon dating :D ). How can they not accept that it is far less likely to be true than the good ol' theory of evolution!!!

On a loosely related note, one of my logical arguments. It tends to leave christians thouroughly confused and even more extremist.

Christians think children should not be born out of wedlock, and believe in creationism.
Jane is a christian.
Jane thinks children should not be born out of wedlock.
Jane believes in creationism.
Adam and Eve, being the only two humans in existence, could not have been married.
Jane believes that she is a descendant of Adam and Eve.
again, Jane thinks children should not be born out of wedlock.
Should Jane exist?

Now, a question for all you liberal historian homies out there...
If I wanted to find flaws in the Creationist theory, where would I look?

if you should look at this response..............how about the Muslim fundamentalists/extremists that want your sorry ass DEAD. Yep, you read that right, DEAD so you keep babbling about who you hate and Christians (appropriately capitalized) and recognize that I am not defending thos whack right wing folks, bu just that you are seriously deluded.

EoinC said:
I think that a "theory" does not have to be accepted in any circle for it to have some validity for you. A belief is exactly that...a belief. I am impressed that you give value to examining what you, as an individual, actually believe, and are not bound by what others instruct you to believe. Your belief may be in accordance with others, but you arrived there by your own path.
I believe that Man created / creates God/s in his own image and that is why there are the profusion of disparate images. I don't claim that one is right and another is wrong, only that the one that is 'right' for one being is not necessarily right for another.
I ride a Trek.

bbnaz said:
if you should look at this response..............how about the Muslim fundamentalists/extremists that want your sorry ass DEAD. Yep, you read that right, DEAD so you keep babbling about who you hate and Christians (appropriately capitalized) and recognize that I am not defending thos whack right wing folks, bu just that you are seriously deluded.
I think the Muslims are planning an attack, so I guess I better stock up on pistols, rifles, and kevlar vests for when the Moslem Church mobilizes against my army of "Degenerates."

I really see no reason why muslims would want me dead; I have respect for them and their culture, I am not an american citizen, and I use NO gasoline whatsoever.

I'm afraid my ass has not quite reached the "sorry" stage.

Darjevon said:
I really see no reason why muslims would want me dead; I have respect for them and their culture, I am not an american citizen, and I use NO gasoline whatsoever.

I'm afraid my ass has not quite reached the "sorry" stage.
Your not an American :eek: :confused: Oh well :(