This is the lung buster!

On Tue, 22 Apr 2003 12:50:59 GMT, ..::TBF::.. wrote:

> Nice scenery, I have to travel an hour in any direction to get a view like that!

I only have to travel an hour in one direction to get a view like that. Only problem is, that one
direction is UP!

BB <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> On Tue, 22 Apr 2003 12:50:59 GMT, ..::TBF::.. wrote:
>
> > Nice scenery, I have to travel an hour in any direction to get a view like that!
>
> I only have to travel an hour in one direction to get a view like that. Only problem is, that one
> direction is UP!

It's not fair Blaine. In the NW (U.S.) we have an advantage. Here's some photos from my playgrounds
to the east of ya:

http://www.idahoptv.org/outdoors/shows/edens/edens.html

http://www.forwolves.org/ralph/wpages/sawtoothlake.htm

http://www.visi.com/~glenda/hikeidaho/idaho2.htm

http://www.angelfire.com/oh/parrybike/page8.html

Wish I still had a web-site so I could show these places with bikes on them. O well, y'all get the
idea. Climbing for 22 minutes? And he lived to tell of it?? Now I've got a new hero.

Paladin

On 22 Apr 2003 13:39:27 -0700, Paladin wrote:

> Climbing for 22 minutes? And he lived to tell of it?? Now I've got a new hero.

LOL... Guess it depends on how much elevation he gained in those 22 minutes. ;-)

http://members.rogers.com/theblackfoxx/ "Paladin" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> BB <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> > On Tue, 22 Apr 2003 12:50:59 GMT, ..::TBF::.. wrote:
> >
> > > Nice scenery, I have to travel an hour in any direction to get a view
like
> > > that!
> >
> > I only have to travel an hour in one direction to get a view like that. Only problem is, that
> > one direction is UP!
>
> It's not fair Blaine. In the NW (U.S.) we have an advantage. Here's some photos from my
> playgrounds to the east of ya:
>
> http://www.idahoptv.org/outdoors/shows/edens/edens.html
>
> http://www.forwolves.org/ralph/wpages/sawtoothlake.htm
>
> http://www.visi.com/~glenda/hikeidaho/idaho2.htm
>
> http://www.angelfire.com/oh/parrybike/page8.html
>
> Wish I still had a web-site so I could show these places with bikes on them. O well, y'all get the
> idea. Climbing for 22 minutes? And he lived to tell of it?? Now I've got a new hero.
>
> Paladin

damn nice country boy!

"Paladin" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> BB <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> > On Tue, 22 Apr 2003 12:50:59 GMT, ..::TBF::.. wrote:
> >
> > > Nice scenery, I have to travel an hour in any direction to get a view
like
> > > that!
> >
> > I only have to travel an hour in one direction to get a view like that. Only problem is, that
> > one direction is UP!
>
> It's not fair Blaine. In the NW (U.S.) we have an advantage. Here's some photos from my
> playgrounds to the east of ya:
>
> http://www.idahoptv.org/outdoors/shows/edens/edens.html
>
> http://www.forwolves.org/ralph/wpages/sawtoothlake.htm
>
> http://www.visi.com/~glenda/hikeidaho/idaho2.htm
>
> http://www.angelfire.com/oh/parrybike/page8.html
>
> Wish I still had a web-site so I could show these places with bikes on them. O well, y'all get the
> idea. Climbing for 22 minutes? And he lived to tell of it?? Now I've got a new hero.
>
> Paladin

Some gorgeous stuff. Is it mountain bike accessible?
--
Westie

"..::TBF::.." <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> damn nice country boy!

Other things you'll learn in college:

Things you might hear at a gay bar:
1) Damn nice country boy!
2) Damn, nice country boy!

Things you might hear at a KKK lynching:
3) Damn nice, country boy!
4) Damn nice country, boy!

--
Prof. Slacker, B.S., PhD, DDS....hehehe

"Westie" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> "Paladin" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > BB <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:<[email protected]>...

> like
> > >
> > > I only have to travel an hour in one direction to get a view like that. Only problem is, that
> > > one direction is UP!
> >
> > It's not fair Blaine. In the NW (U.S.) we have an advantage. Here's some photos from my
> > playgrounds to the east of ya:
> >
> > http://www.idahoptv.org/outdoors/shows/edens/edens.html
> >
> > http://www.forwolves.org/ralph/wpages/sawtoothlake.htm
> >
> > http://www.visi.com/~glenda/hikeidaho/idaho2.htm
> >
> > http://www.angelfire.com/oh/parrybike/page8.html
> >
> > Wish I still had a web-site so I could show these places with bikes on them. O well, y'all get
> > the idea. Climbing for 22 minutes? And he lived to tell of it?? Now I've got a new hero.
> >
> > Paladin
>
> Some gorgeous stuff. Is it mountain bike accessible?

Yep, most all of it if you know how to swing it. Here's a taste, and there's a lot more where that
came from:

http://groups.google.com/groups?q=RR:+sawtooth+group:alt.mountain-bike.*&hl=en&lr=&selm=381B3772.1F-
1A2D8E%40nospamuswest.net&rnum=3

http://groups.google.com/groups?q=RR:+sawtooth+group:alt.mountain-bike.*&hl=en&lr=&selm=394F8D3C.5D-
40ABFB%40uswest.net&rnum=1

Paladin

"Paladin" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> "Westie" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> > "Paladin" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:[email protected]...
> > > BB <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:<[email protected]>...

> > like

> > > It's not fair Blaine. In the NW (U.S.) we have an advantage. Here's some photos from my
> > > playgrounds to the east of ya:
> > >
> > > http://www.idahoptv.org/outdoors/shows/edens/edens.html
> > >
> > > http://www.forwolves.org/ralph/wpages/sawtoothlake.htm
> > >
> > > http://www.visi.com/~glenda/hikeidaho/idaho2.htm
> > >
> > > http://www.angelfire.com/oh/parrybike/page8.html
> > >
> > > Wish I still had a web-site so I could show these places with bikes on them. O well, y'all get
> > > the idea. Climbing for 22 minutes? And he lived to tell of it?? Now I've got a new hero.
> > >
> > > Paladin
> >
> > Some gorgeous stuff. Is it mountain bike accessible?
>

> Yep, most all of it if you know how to swing it. Here's a taste, and there's a lot more where that
> came from:

http://groups.google.com/groups?q=RR:+sawtooth+group:alt.mountain-bike.*&hl=
en&lr=&selm=381B3772.1F1A2D8E%40nospamuswest.net&rnum=3

http://groups.google.com/groups?q=RR:+sawtooth+group:alt.mountain-bike.*&hl=
en&lr=&selm=394F8D3C.5D40ABFB%40uswest.net&rnum=1

> Paladin

OK. A lot of the landscape that looks like that here is National Park which is 99.9% totally off
limits to bikes. And if it's not park then it's surrounded by private land and high country stations
with their associated access issues. No trails or paths or bridleways for the most part :-( Some of
those areas are accessible on bike at certain times of the year but that usually isn't singletrack
or trails, just gravel access roads, and the locked gates are opened for a month or two each year.
--
Westie

"Westie" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> "Paladin" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > "Westie" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:<[email protected]>...
> > > "
> OK. A lot of the landscape that looks like that here is National Park which is 99.9% totally off
> limits to bikes. And if it's not park then it's surrounded by private land and high country
> stations with their associated access issues. No trails or paths or bridleways for the most part
> :-( Some of those areas are accessible on bike at certain times of the year but that usually isn't
> singletrack or trails, just gravel access roads, and the locked gates are opened for a month or
> two each year.

What about racing? They're usually held at pretty scenic spots, and you normally get to pre-ride as
much as you can stand. Just a thought. Guess you could move, too--- ;-)

Paladin

"Paladin" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> "Westie" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> > "Paladin" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:[email protected]...
> > > "Westie" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:<[email protected]>...
> > OK. A lot of the landscape that looks like that here is National Park
which
> > is 99.9% totally off limits to bikes. And if it's not park then it's surrounded by private land
> > and high country stations with their
associated
> > access issues. No trails or paths or bridleways for the most part :-( Some of those areas are
> > accessible on bike at certain times of the year
but
> > that usually isn't singletrack or trails, just gravel access roads, and
the
> > locked gates are opened for a month or two each year.
>
> What about racing? They're usually held at pretty scenic spots, and you normally get to pre-ride
> as much as you can stand. Just a thought. Guess you could move, too--- ;-)
>
> Paladin

You're right. The races are held at some pretty scenic places (and some not quite so scenic ones
too). I've been to a couple of the Nationals for a look-see. I made the restrictions sound a bit
over the top. There is a lot of riding around in the right places of course. And some of it damn
fine beautiful stuff with aforementioned mountain ranges etc. in the distance. However, there's
not too much of the stuff right amongst the peaks, if you know what I mean. Not too many mountain
passes to climb and roll down. I think that part of it is because we're only a relatively new and
little country of 4 million here in New Zealand and not enough of us have made tracks over the
centuries over the hills and mountains that are now suitable for bikes. Then again, there are a
lot of mountains over here and I haven't ridden in other countries. Maybe what I consider to be
limited access is actually pretty good. Moving? I have considered it. And I may within the next
year of two depending on where work takes me. But I've still got a lot of virgin mtb territory to
uncover where I am yet. Mountainous and nil developed single-track but there are some gems of
rides amongst it. :)
--
Westie

"Westie" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> "Paladin" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > "Westie" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:<[email protected]>...
> > > "Paladin" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > > news:[email protected]...
> news:<[email protected]>...
> > > OK. A lot of the landscape that looks like that here is National Park
> which
> > > is 99.9% totally off limits to bikes. And if it's not park then it's surrounded by private
> > > land and high country stations with their
> associated
> > > access issues. No trails or paths or bridleways for the most part :-( Some of those areas are
> > > accessible on bike at certain times of the year
> but
> > > that usually isn't singletrack or trails, just gravel access roads, and
> the
> > > locked gates are opened for a month or two each year.
> >
> > What about racing? They're usually held at pretty scenic spots, and you normally get to pre-ride
> > as much as you can stand. Just a thought. Guess you could move, too--- ;-)
> >
> > Paladin
>
> You're right. The races are held at some pretty scenic places (and some not quite so scenic ones
> too). I've been to a couple of the Nationals for a look-see. I made the restrictions sound a bit
> over the top. There is a lot of riding around in the right places of course. And some of it damn
> fine beautiful stuff with aforementioned mountain ranges etc. in the distance. However, there's
> not too much of the stuff right amongst the peaks, if you know what I mean. Not too many mountain
> passes to climb and roll down. I think that part of it is because we're only a relatively new and
> little country of 4 million here in New Zealand and not enough of us have made tracks over the
> centuries over the hills and mountains that are now suitable for bikes. Then again, there are a
> lot of mountains over here and I haven't ridden in other countries. Maybe what I consider to be
> limited access is actually pretty good. Moving? I have considered it. And I may within the next
> year of two depending on where work takes me. But I've still got a lot of virgin mtb territory to
> uncover where I am yet. Mountainous and nil developed single-track but there are some gems of
> rides amongst it. :)

You're a Kiwi?! I must have forgot. Don't spoil my fantasy of some day bringing my bike down there.
I've always dreamed of riding NZ, what with the stunning scenery, friendly folks, LOTR, etc. I have
a dear friend on Stewart Island that I need to visit before she passes on.

All I could think of would be to ask the bike shop chaps where they ride, and with pizza and beer in
hand, they might let on their secrets.

We really are spoiled, even if we're not half as scenic as your neighborhood.

http://www.imba.com/news/trail_news/14_3/itn_14_3_coord.html

http://www.imba.com/news/news_releases/11_01/11_28_reportcard.html

Paladin

"Paladin" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]... <snip>
> You're a Kiwi?! I must have forgot. Don't spoil my fantasy of some day bringing my bike down
> there. I've always dreamed of riding NZ, what with the stunning scenery, friendly folks, LOTR,
> etc. I have a dear friend on Stewart Island that I need to visit before she passes on.
>
> All I could think of would be to ask the bike shop chaps where they ride, and with pizza and beer
> in hand, they might let on their secrets.
>
> We really are spoiled, even if we're not half as scenic as your neighborhood.
>
> http://www.imba.com/news/trail_news/14_3/itn_14_3_coord.html
>
> http://www.imba.com/news/news_releases/11_01/11_28_reportcard.html
>
> Paladin

Stewart Island should have some great spots - cold and rugged, there's gotta be something good to
ride on down there! Don't let my moaning stop you from bringing the bike - it's just that us
mountainbikers are outnumbered by the greenies. And the greenies want New Zealand to be one giant
National Park. Not to mention that the main left wing political party in Government relies on a
coalition with Green Party to retain power. I've got guys that look like a characterture of Bob
Marley riding skateboards to parliment each day running the country! Sheesh.

You've definitely got your friendly folk, stunning scenery and LOTR country and some damn fine
riding all over the place. After all, there's a lot of land around here. It's just a shame that with
such a small population (4 million) that us mtbrs don't have the numbers and resources to get more
trails and access rights... The Dept. of Conservation is full of greenies that have more in common
with our Mikey. Recently I've seen lots of official looking "No Mountainbiking" signs erected by the
Dept. of Conservation using public resources and official logos on the few public trails that mtbrs
DO have full access rights on. Someone in the Dept just decided that they'd "discourage" mtbers.
Forget dealing with the issue responsibly and through proper channels. Just slap signs up
everywhere. That'll fix 'em. Nor can I find anyone in the Dept. of Conservation in half of the
country that can actually tell me which trails I can ride on and which are restricted. They're
embarrassingly hopeless. Anyway, I live in the mountains and that's where I want to ride. Amongst
the scenery that we've been talking about. Trouble is, is that's the really spectacular stuff that
D.O.C. is locking up. </end rant> :)
--
Westie