Time to stop

BullGod

Apr 6, 2006
Fellas,

I have decided to hang the bike up, and have quit my team. The motivation and hunger just weren't there this winter, and turning 30 next year it's time to ease back into career mode, and have a good time before I'm too old.

When you know....you know. It's just time to stop.

I am staying in Amsterdam and look forward to enjoying the city in a more conventional way than riding a hundred clicks away from it at the crack of dawn ;-)

Thanks to everyone for their advice and interest over the last year, and if anyone has any questions about training / racing at top end please PM me. I'll still be reading....

Keep riding.

BG

I am sure it was a tough and personal decision. I hope all goes well in your career.

Thank you for keeping us updated.

-js

BullGod said:
Fellas,

I have decided to hang the bike up, and have quit my team. The motivation and hunger just weren't there this winter, and turning 30 next year it's time to ease back into career mode, and have a good time before I'm too old.

When you know....you know. It's just time to stop.

I am staying in Amsterdam and look forward to enjoying the city in a more conventional way than riding a hundred clicks away from it at the crack of dawn ;-)

Thanks to everyone for their advice and interest over the last year, and if anyone has any questions about training / racing at top end please PM me. I'll still be reading....

Keep riding.

BG

I respect your decision. I had to make the same in a different activity years ago and it was hard to make at the time. Since then I put more focus on career and I am glad I did. My income virtually took off in a positive direction. I work with a Cat-2 that made the same choice recently, but he still rides with his team for fun and intends to race for fun on a lower level based on the his limited training time.

You did more than most that aspire in cycling. Good job!!

As you have offered we will take any spare training tips you have since you will have more time to spend with us. :p

I've enjoyed all your posts about big time cycling. Maybe now we'll get some posts about how you are slowly progressing towards big time finance.

All the best.

Talent and effort doesn't always translate into passion. From last year's posts where you were worried about crashing and relaxing in a tight paceline to your latest posts where you raised concerns over motivation, it seems like you just don't "love" cycling at his level. And at the level you were riding at, it seems that having passion for the sport is a prerequisite.

As a footnote, as a fan, I must confess that the doping scandals have caused me to lose a lot of passion for the sport as well. When Floyd Landis left South Central Pa, he was a goofy naive hick that just loved to ride his bike, he's not that guy anymore, and that's a shame. And the story of the cancer survivor that came back to beat the world is a much more complicated tale.

I actually saw Breaking Away for the 10th time last week, but first time in many years. There is that scene after the Italians knock him off his bike where he comes back to his room and rips down his cycling posters, that is almost the perfect example of the conflict between our romantic dreams and reality. If you haven't seen it, it is a great film. He gains redemption not by beating the European racers but by accepting who he is.

As a final note, you will always have your time playing in the big leaugues. Never forget that you actually did what us armchair guys always think, "I wonder if I could hang with the studs in Europe." Good luck. I am sure that this is not an easy time for you. But wait till you see how much easier it is to earn a living off the bike than on.