toe vs shoe?

bpatterson

Aug 27, 2006
this year I get toe pain when ever I go over 60 miles at a good pace ...it seems like nerve pain ..anyone try inserts with this sort of pain?Or maybe new inserts in my shimano shoes?

bpatterson said:
this year I get toe pain when ever I go over 60 miles at a good pace ...it seems like nerve pain ..anyone try inserts with this sort of pain?Or maybe new inserts in my shimano shoes?

Do a search for anybody local that does 'E-Soles'..

This spring I bought a new pair of specialized carbon road shoes with the knob you turn to tighten the wire laces. My toes would burn after 30 miles or so, until I loosened the shoe a little. With their new system you can tighten the shoe so tight and it stills feels very very nice on the foot, but.....its easy to over tighten, and I wore insoles for a while and still had burning toes.

bpatterson said:
I've tightened, loosened even cooled my toes with cold water
I got the classic "hot spot" at about the 60 mile point two weeks ago too, first time this year. It's a burning sensation right under the ball of the foot. For me, it seems to only be a problem on longer rides in hot conditions, eg, 95F.

Getting conditioned to the heat seems to help. Last weekend on the 68 mile hill ride, no problems. Have read that moving the cleats back helps for many people.

Where in the toes is the pain? Is it between the toes?

You probable just need a good arch support or maybe try moving the cleat (assuming you ride clipless) around?

from the tip of the big toe to the bottom of the toe, on both big toes .. it is definitely after 50 --60 miles it happen again this weekend 68 miles on Saturday kind of hilly big toe pain race on Sunday 40 miles no toe pain ... the only place left to move the cleat is to the heal..;}:rolleyes:

dhk2 said:
I got the classic "hot spot" at about the 60 mile point two weeks ago too, first time this year. It's a burning sensation right under the ball of the foot. For me, it seems to only be a problem on longer rides in hot conditions, eg, 95F.

Getting conditioned to the heat seems to help. Last weekend on the 68 mile hill ride, no problems. Have read that moving the cleats back helps for many people.
it may have something to do with the heat..maybe some sort of swelling ???around a nerve?? ( sounds possible to me)i'll try some water early in the ride ... if the rain stays away I'll have two long rides this weekend thanks

You definitely need some sort of orthotic or insert that hold up your arch. I used to have the same problem.

You put a lot of pressure on your feet when your biking. If your arches aren't supported your feet will roll in and you will be pushing off of the inside of your foot instead of the whole thing. I would recommend finding a good shoe store that can fit you with a good arch support.

Farmguy said:
This spring I bought a new pair of specialized carbon road shoes with the knob you turn to tighten the wire laces. My toes would burn after 30 miles or so, until I loosened the shoe a little.
All current Specialized shoes have metatarsal "buttons", a longitudinal arch that helps spread the flanges, reducing pressure on the metatarsal nerves as you cinch down straps and buckles. I highly recommend giving them a try.

Sof Sole Stability insoles are low-volume and have metatarsal buttons. I haven't needed them in my cycling shoes (Shimano RS 151s), but I've been very happy with them in my running and walking shoes. Check them out: http://www.sofsole.com/ProductDetails.aspx?pid=1&g=m&n=1&DetailID=6