Toronto: Thefts from Post and Rings

stokell

Jan 20, 2005
Hi all!
Toronto cyclists may already be aware that there have been several reports of bike thefts from City of Toronto post and rings.

What makes these cases unusual is that the ring has been broken and the bike stolen rather than the thief breaking the lock.

The City continues to recommend using two locks of different types and locking both wheels to an immovable object. That's what I do and although there have been lots of tries, no one has got a bike of mine since then.

stokell said:
Hi all!
Toronto cyclists may already be aware that there have been several reports of bike thefts from City of Toronto post and rings.

What makes these cases unusual is that the ring has been broken and the bike stolen rather than the thief breaking the lock.

The City continues to recommend using two locks of different types and locking both wheels to an immovable object. That's what I do and although there have been lots of tries, no one has got a bike of mine since then.
if they want your bike, they will take your bike, even strip it down for whatever parts they can get off...there's no stopping them

One of the cyclists in our office had two cable locks on her new Trek, and it took only 10 seconds and a pair of bolt cutters for her to lose her new bike

JM01 said:
if they want your bike, they will take your bike, even strip it down for whatever parts they can get off...there's no stopping them

One of the cyclists in our office had two cable locks on her new Trek, and it took only 10 seconds and a pair of bolt cutters for her to lose her new bike
That's why the city recommends two different types of locks, requiring different tools. I've had my Stock lock for about 2 years now and it protects a $2K bike (along with a Krypto coil). There are saw marks, hammer marks, and cutter marks all over them.

One morning I was biking to the VP subway station and a commuter with a new Trek whizzed past me in traffic. By the time I got to the bike racks, he was already locking up with a dollar store coil. I was working a half day that day so I was back at noon. His lock was there, pulled off the rack, laying broken on the ground. His Trek had probably already been sold.