Touching The Void on CH 4

Gordon

Guest
In the unlikely event that someone hasn't seen it, TTV is on Ch 4 at 9pm
tonight.
--
Gordon Harris

On Thu, 24 Nov 2005 20:46:40 +0000, Gordon <[email protected]>
wrote:

>In the unlikely event that someone hasn't seen it, TTV is on Ch 4 at 9pm
>tonight.

Thanks for the reminder, Gordon. I've seen this one, but I have a
truly horrible habit of missing excellen things, so I'm always very
grateful for any reminders that people are kind enough to put out :)

Wet fishes,
--
,,
(**)PeeWiglet~~

On Thu, 24 Nov 2005 21:26:13 +0000, Peewiglet <[email protected]>
wrote:

>>In the unlikely event that someone hasn't seen it, TTV is on Ch 4 at 9pm
>>tonight.

>Thanks for the reminder, Gordon. I've seen this one, but I have a
>truly horrible habit of missing excellen things, so I'm always very
>grateful for any reminders that people are kind enough to put out :)

I *haven't* seen it, so am watching it now.

I had always thought it was a film/story and that put me off but it's
a documentary, so I am watching!

Eeek - he's fell off!

On Thu, 24 Nov 2005 21:28:55 +0000, Judith
<[email protected]> wrote:

>On Thu, 24 Nov 2005 21:26:13 +0000, Peewiglet <[email protected]>
>wrote:
>
>>>In the unlikely event that someone hasn't seen it, TTV is on Ch 4 at 9pm
>>>tonight.

>>Thanks for the reminder, Gordon. I've seen this one, but I have a
>>truly horrible habit of missing excellen things, so I'm always very
>>grateful for any reminders that people are kind enough to put out :)
>>

>I *haven't* seen it, so am watching it now.
>
>I had always thought it was a film/story and that put me off but it's
>a documentary, so I am watching!
>
>Eeek - he's fell off!

Excellent! You must be the only person in the whole country who hasn't
seen it! (You weird person... ;-)

I'll be interested to know what you make of it, and particularly if
you've also read the book.

Wet fishes,
--
,,
(**)PeeWiglet~~

On Thu, 24 Nov 2005 21:39:53 +0000, Peewiglet <[email protected]>
wrote:

>>Eeek - he's fell off!

>Excellent! You must be the only person in the whole country who hasn't
>seen it! (You weird person... ;-)
>
>I'll be interested to know what you make of it, and particularly if
>you've also read the book.

I'm not really enjoying it. When I saw his leg jolt and he started
screaming, it suddenly got warm in here and I wanted to change
channel.

It's just like our Winter Skills course, eh? (I'm good at sliding
down hills!)

Judith

On Thu, 24 Nov 2005 21:43:42 +0000, Judith
<[email protected]> wrote:

>On Thu, 24 Nov 2005 21:39:53 +0000, Peewiglet <[email protected]>
>wrote:
>
>>>Eeek - he's fell off!

>>Excellent! You must be the only person in the whole country who hasn't
>>seen it! (You weird person... ;-)
>>
>>I'll be interested to know what you make of it, and particularly if
>>you've also read the book.

>I'm not really enjoying it. When I saw his leg jolt and he started
>screaming, it suddenly got warm in here and I wanted to change
>channel.

Heh... I know what you mean...

>It's just like our Winter Skills course, eh? (I'm good at sliding
>down hills!)

I suppose it is!

<admission>
Actually, I was quite scared sliding down those hills with my ice axe.
I was so confused about what I was supposed to be doing with my
various limbs that I felt there was a real chance of ending up with
the ice axe embedded in some sensitive part of my anatomy. Whimper...
</admission>

Wet fishes,
--
,,

wrote:

>>I *haven't* seen it, so am watching it now.
>>
>>I had always thought it was a film/story and that put me off but it's
>>a documentary, so I am watching!
>>
>>Eeek - he's fell off!

>Excellent! You must be the only person in the whole country who hasn't
>seen it! (You weird person... ;-)
>
>I'll be interested to know what you make of it, and particularly if
>you've also read the book.

No, I haven't read the book and, although I was aware of the basic
story and of the criticism surrounding the decision to cut the rope, I
had no idea whether the bloke at the end of the rope was rescued or if
he made his own way down.

I feel quite drained now. Flipping 'eck. I'd have curled up and
hoped to die whilst still in the first crevasse. IMO, there was a lot
of courage and strength shown by both men.

I am not a climber but I like to think I would have had the sense and
mental strength to cut the rope. IMO that was the only option.
However, I do not think I would have had the mental strength to
persevere with the long trek back to the base camp. I KNOW I could
never be physically strong enough.

Good film.

Judith

On Thu, 24 Nov 2005 23:07:58 +0000
in <news:[email protected]>
Judith <[email protected]> wrote :
<->
> Good film.

Better book.

--
The first sign of maturity is the discovery
that the volume knob also turns to the left.

Judith wrote:

> However, I do not think I would have had the mental strength to
> persevere with the long trek back to the base camp. I KNOW I could
> never be physically strong enough.

It's mental, not physical. No-one knows what they're really capable of
until they find themselves in a situation like that.

Paul

On Thu, 24 Nov 2005 23:07:58 +0000, Judith
<[email protected]> wrote:

[...]
>>I'll be interested to know what you make of it, and particularly if
>>you've also read the book.

>No, I haven't read the book and, although I was aware of the basic
>story and of the criticism surrounding the decision to cut the rope, I
>had no idea whether the bloke at the end of the rope was rescued or if
>he made his own way down.
>
>I feel quite drained now. Flipping 'eck. I'd have curled up and
>hoped to die whilst still in the first crevasse. IMO, there was a lot
>of courage and strength shown by both men.
>
>I am not a climber but I like to think I would have had the sense and
>mental strength to cut the rope. IMO that was the only option.

Absolutely!

>However, I do not think I would have had the mental strength to
>persevere with the long trek back to the base camp. I KNOW I could
>never be physically strong enough.

And absolutely again. I'm quite sure I coulnd't have done it, in the
same way as I know there's no way I could have cut off my arm as Aaron
Ralston did. I don't have that sort of determination to cling to life.

>Good film.

Yes, but it's a truly wonderful book: I felt that the film paled in
comparison. You really should read it.

Wet fishes,
--
,,
(**)PeeWiglet~~

On Thu, 24 Nov 2005 23:24:28 +0000, Peewiglet <[email protected]>
wrote:

>>Good film.

>Yes, but it's a truly wonderful book: I felt that the film paled in
>comparison. You really should read it.

I can't read books. It takes too long. I find other things to do.
There must be dozens of books I am four chapters into (including one
*you* lent me and I've started reading two others now!)

Judith

On Thu, 24 Nov 2005 23:52:09 +0000, Judith
<[email protected]> wrote:

[...]
>>>Good film.

>>Yes, but it's a truly wonderful book: I felt that the film paled in
>>comparison. You really should read it.

>I can't read books. It takes too long. I find other things to do.
>There must be dozens of books I am four chapters into (including one
>*you* lent me and I've started reading two others now!)

Tut tut. Take 100 lines....
;-)

I can almost guarantee that this would be a much better book than any
of those. And it would'nt take long: all you need to do is take it to
bed, and then you can read it all night :)

Wet fishes,
--
,,
(**)PeeWiglet~~

"Gordon" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> In the unlikely event that someone hasn't seen it, TTV is on Ch 4 at 9pm
> tonight.
> --
> Gordon Harris

Great chance to watch it for me...the oldest still hasn't returned my DVD he
borrowed about 6 months ago.

On Thu, 24 Nov 2005 23:53:47 +0000, Peewiglet <[email protected]>
wrote:

>>I can't read books. It takes too long. I find other things to do.
>>There must be dozens of books I am four chapters into (including one
>>*you* lent me and I've started reading two others now!)

>Tut tut. Take 100 lines....
> ;-)
>
>I can almost guarantee that this would be a much better book than any
>of those. And it would'nt take long: all you need to do is take it to
>bed, and then you can read it all night :)

No, I mustn't read exciting books in bed - I get over-stimulated.

I've had to move my SAS Survival Book from the side of my bed for just
that reason.

Judith

Peewiglet wrote:

>> However, I do not think I would have had the mental strength to
>> persevere with the long trek back to the base camp. I KNOW I could
>> never be physically strong enough.

> And absolutely again. I'm quite sure I coulnd't have done it, in the
> same way as I know there's no way I could have cut off my arm as Aaron
> Ralston did. I don't have that sort of determination to cling to life.

Again, I disagree. You just don't know what you're capable of until you
find yourself in that situation. You can never know, unless it happens to
you. Then, and only then, will you really discover what you are capable of.

We can make assumptions, but if a life or death experience ever happens to
any of us, some may turn out to be wimps, others heroes, but no-one knows
which in advance. The desire to live can be very strong, and we don't all
have the same intensity of desire.

Paul

Judith wrote:

> I can't read books. It takes too long.

I can't read books either. Not without pictures! It must be the
photographer in me...

Actually I can read some books, but very few...

Paul

Judith wrote:

> No, I mustn't read exciting books in bed - I get over-stimulated.
>
> I've had to move my SAS Survival Book from the side of my bed for just
> that reason.

Have you, or anyone else, been watching Commando VIP?

Paul

On Fri, 25 Nov 2005 00:03:03 -0000, "Paul Saunders"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>> No, I mustn't read exciting books in bed - I get over-stimulated.
>>
>> I've had to move my SAS Survival Book from the side of my bed for just
>> that reason.

>Have you, or anyone else, been watching Commando VIP?

Never heard of it.

Judith

On Thu, 24 Nov 2005 23:57:33 +0000, Judith
<[email protected]> wrote:

>On Thu, 24 Nov 2005 23:53:47 +0000, Peewiglet <[email protected]>
>wrote:
>
>>>I can't read books. It takes too long. I find other things to do.
>>>There must be dozens of books I am four chapters into (including one
>>>*you* lent me and I've started reading two others now!)

>>Tut tut. Take 100 lines....
>> ;-)
>>
>>I can almost guarantee that this would be a much better book than any
>>of those. And it would'nt take long: all you need to do is take it to
>>bed, and then you can read it all night :)

>No, I mustn't read exciting books in bed - I get over-stimulated.

Uh-oh... TMI!

:)

>I've had to move my SAS Survival Book from the side of my bed for just
>that reason.

Best not lend you that Book of the Bivvy book after all, then....

Wet fishes,
--
,,
(**)PeeWiglet~~