Tour de France (Grenoble in July)

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Telford, Jun 8, 2003.

  1. Telford

    Telford Guest

    Hello,

    If anyone have been to Grenoble around the Tour time,

    can you tell me how busy you expect Grenoble to be, in terms of finding inexpensive hotels, on
    short-term notice. I will be in France for 10 or so days before I head over there but not sure exact
    date. it will be around July 7th or 8th, no later than 10th.

    (I know with the Tour de France arriving in nearby Bourg d'Oisan on 13th and it will be packed then
    but would it also affect hotel bookings 5-6 days before the Tour arrival?)

    Thank you very much.

    Tags:

  2. In article <[email protected]>, [email protected]
    (Telford) wrote:

    > Hello,
    >
    > If anyone have been to Grenoble around the Tour time,
    >
    > can you tell me how busy you expect Grenoble to be, in terms of finding inexpensive hotels, on
    > short-term notice. I will be in France for 10 or so days before I head over there but not sure
    > exact date. it will be around July 7th or 8th, no later than 10th.
    >
    > (I know with the Tour de France arriving in nearby Bourg d'Oisan on 13th and it will be packed
    > then but would it also affect hotel bookings 5-6 days before the Tour arrival?)
    >
    > Thank you very much.

    As a rule.

    which the Tour stops.

    Get about 1 hour out of range, and you will be fine.

    We once had to camp inside of a christian revival campground. We got out of dodge before sunup.

  3. Telford

    Telford Guest

    I understand it would be a madhouse a day or two before the Tour arrives in town but, I was just
    trying to find out how it would be 5-6 days before. I won't be there at the time of Tour arrival on
    13th but on 8 and 9th. I just wasn't sure how early the Tour crowd start setting up in certain
    town. Thanks.

    [email protected] (chiefhiawatha) wrote in message
    > (Telford) wrote:
    >
    > > Hello,
    > >
    > > If anyone have been to Grenoble around the Tour time,
    > >
    > > can you tell me how busy you expect Grenoble to be, in terms of finding inexpensive hotels, on
    > > short-term notice. I will be in France for 10 or so days before I head over there but not sure
    > > exact date. it will be around July 7th or 8th, no later than 10th.
    > >
    > > (I know with the Tour de France arriving in nearby Bourg d'Oisan on 13th and it will be packed
    > > then but would it also affect hotel bookings 5-6 days before the Tour arrival?)
    > >
    > > Thank you very much.
    >
    > As a rule.
    >

    > which the Tour stops.
    >
    > Get about 1 hour out of range, and you will be fine.
    >
    > We once had to camp inside of a christian revival campground. We got out of dodge before sunup.

  4. Gm

    Gm Guest

    You shouldn't have any problem 5 or 6 days before the event. We were in Grenoble in 2001 when the
    time trial started in town and we were able to find a hotel the day of the race. Grenoble was a very
    pleasnat surprise, much nicer than I anticipated and its a fairly large city with lots of hotels to
    absorb the tour contingent. The smaller towns on the Tour route are a different story and are
    usually booked months in advance. We camped at the top of Alp d' Huez in 2001 and had a blast
    hanging out with full tilt partying Dutch and Belgian fans. There is usually not more than a day
    advance set up. The Tour is a logistical marvel. It is really amazing to see how big the production
    is and how fast they tear down and set up.

    [email protected] (Telford) wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > I understand it would be a madhouse a day or two before the Tour arrives in town but, I was just
    > trying to find out how it would be 5-6 days before. I won't be there at the time of Tour arrival
    > on 13th but on 8 and 9th. I just wasn't sure how early the Tour crowd start setting up in certain
    > town. Thanks.

  5. Sessamoid

    Sessamoid Guest

    [email protected] (Telford) wrote in news:[email protected]:

    > Hello,
    >
    > If anyone have been to Grenoble around the Tour time,
    >
    > can you tell me how busy you expect Grenoble to be, in terms of finding inexpensive hotels, on
    > short-term notice. I will be in France for 10 or so days before I head over there but not sure
    > exact date. it will be around July 7th or 8th, no later than 10th.

    It's been a while, so things may have changed, but I don't think you'll have a tough time finding
    space 5-6 days ahead in Grenoble. It's not a small town, like many of the Tour stops. I was in
    Grenoble for the '92 Tour, and I just stayed in the local youth hostel for the night.

  6. "sessamoid" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > [email protected] (Telford) wrote in news:[email protected]:
    >
    > > Hello,
    > >
    > > If anyone have been to Grenoble around the Tour time,
    > >
    > > can you tell me how busy you expect Grenoble to be, in terms of finding inexpensive hotels, on
    > > short-term notice. I will be in France for 10 or so days before I head over there but not sure
    > > exact date. it will be around July 7th or 8th, no later than 10th.
    >

    > It's been a while, so things may have changed, but I don't think you'll have a tough time finding
    > space 5-6 days ahead in Grenoble. It's not a small town, like many of the Tour stops. I was in
    > Grenoble for the '92 Tour, and I just stayed in the local youth hostel for the night.

    I went two years ago..........no problem.....plenty in Grenoble for tourist.....