Touring with a Local Pre-Paid Mobile

stokell

Jan 20, 2005
I'm here in Canada and I have just found out that although I can phone Britain from my mobile, if I actually am in Britain, I can't phone Canada because I won't have a network.

They will allow me to 'roam' on British networks, but I think the fee is way too high.

Could I buy a pay-as-you-go phone when I arrive? How much would it be and could I phone Canada?

buy a phone for as little as £30. credit on top. calling canada from that phone would be very dear (probably close to £1 per minute if not more.)

davebee said:
buy a phone for as little as £30. credit on top. calling canada from that phone would be very dear (probably close to £1 per minute if not more.)
Okay, how about this: Are there pre-paid long distance cards for cell (mobile) phones in the UK? Would it be cheaper to buy the pay-as-you-go mobile and then the pre-paid long distance card?

stokell said:
Okay, how about this: Are there pre-paid long distance cards for cell (mobile) phones in the UK? Would it be cheaper to buy the pay-as-you-go mobile and then the pre-paid long distance card?

you can deffo get calling cards, though not sure if they are prepaid and don't know if they can be used through a mobile. Have never had need to use one. If you are only over here for a short while is it necessary to be able to phone home? I go weeks without using my phone!!

Hi, I've just read your article and have recently become aware of the following website - http://www.0044.co.uk/uk.htm It may be of some use to you. It says calls to Canada from 5p per minute. I hasn't to add that I haven't used them.

regards and enjoy your time

Allan, if you've got an unlocked tri- or quad-band GSM mobile phone (tell us the make and model of your phone, if you're not sure), I highly recommend that you get a Mobile World SIM card, like the one that dorsetboy57 linked to.

I got a Mobile World card from a store called Car Phone Warehouse in England (big chain - they're everywhere). The rates are a steal. I bought it for £10 and got £10 airtime credit. Never even used it all. 5p/min to the US and Canada. 5p-15p/min to most other places around the world. 15p/min to land and mobile lines in the UK. Only two problems: 1. You can't roam out of England with it (i.e., you won't be able to use it in continental Europe); 2. Signal strength with Mobile World isn't quite as strong as other networks, like Vodafone, Orange, etc. (works on the T-Mobile network, btw).

Cell phone jammer is an interesting and helpful device when we don’t want to be bothered by the cell phone noise. I just bought myself a cell phone jammer the other day , it is working great and BTW, it’s legal here in my country.

Originally Posted by stokell .

There are and long distance girlfriends are partners with the companies...
big-smile.png
They might be calling cards for landline phones though.

You can always skype... But the sound quality sometimes is frustrating as are the dropped calls.

There are also these other VOIP programs that you put credit on and you can call. I remember one that had free calls to landlines. I think it was called VOIP BUSTER or something like that, but that was ages ago...