Trainer or stationary???

SWEETRIDE4ME said:
Which is better, a trainer or stationary or is it all preference???
A trainer, for sure, as you are able to use the same bike you use on the road. Same saddle, same geometry, same crank length, etc.

A good quality stationary/spin bike (Lemond, Giant Tempo, Schwinn) can give you the exact measurements as your road bike - saddle fore/aft, saddle height, handlebar reach and height, etc., therefore the workouts are almost the same. Much more expensive than trainers, but if your budget allows it, go with the stationary bike. Good luck!

With winter coming, i'm thinking of getting a trainer as well.
Anyone recommend a decent one that won't break the bank? I only paid about $300 dollars for my bike and don't want to double that amount just for a trainer. Any advice for people on a budget?

KMKS said:
Anyone recommend a decent one that won't break the bank? I only paid about $300 dollars for my bike and don't want to double that amount just for a trainer. Any advice for people on a budget?
Check out Performance Bike (www.performancebike.com). You can get a decent mag trainer for under $100.

I use the trainer...but only on truly dismal days. Anything under -35 degrees celsius I am out riding...

Check second hand bicycle shops and pawn shops. You never know what you might find. Garage sales if you have the time are a good idea too.
KMKS said:

I have to agree with Tanggoman (we seem to run into each other at these type of posts) about the stationary spin bike. I would definitely recommend the stationary spinner. If you expect to put any real time into riding indoors, a high quality spinner is the way to go. Pedaling on a trainer puts more stress on your bike than riding outdoors, as well as puts some wear and tear on your components. I love cycling, and to me it's about the right tool for the right job. Riding on a trainer works on pedaling, but not much else, so why not use a spinner that is designed for the purpose. A spinner is also much more stable than a bicycle attached to a trainer, which is great when you want to really work it. Of course, if you are talking about possibly using rollers, than that's a completely different scenario as rollers develop additional skills not worked by a stationary trainer. No matter which way you go, I would recommend using Spinerval DVDs for some of your workouts, as I find they help pass the time better while giving you a good workout. Whichever you choose, keep riding!

SWEETRIDE4ME said:
Which is better, a trainer or stationary or is it all preference???
I would plug for a trainer as with your road bike you are specifically set up to train at the right joint angles.

With a stationary trainer I notice there is always a much larger Q factor (distance between pedal cranks) which must have an effect on your specific set up compared to your road bike.