Trainer vs stationary

tdl123321

Mar 26, 2006
Is a "trainer" that much better than utlizing the stationary bike at the local gym?

Yes. If you're planning on spending any significant time riding inside, it's best to be doing it in the same position you'll be in out on the road.

1. At the Gym, you are amongst other people doing the same thing so it's easier to stay motivated once you climb on. The very act of jumping in your car, driving there, and putting your gear on...makes it easy to put in an effort

2. Trainer at home...too many distractions...put it in front of the TV (I only do it during a televised football match) but too easy to find an excuse NOT to do it when at home
3. Very poor seating position of gym bike, and horrible uncomfortable seat, is a big big turn off.
4. Trainer at home- the way the rear tyre runs on the metal roller can apparently cause splitting of tyre tread from sidewall. Heard of it happening to one young fella I used to train with, but he was not normal, he was almost as powerful as Robbie McEwan or Baden Cooke
So...gym is good for motivation/discipline, but bad for positioning.Try both and see what you think. Don't but a Magtrainer/Turbotrainer, borrow one from a mate for a week, see how you like it...

Aussie Steve said:
4. Trainer at home- the way the rear tyre runs on the metal roller can apparently cause splitting of tyre tread from sidewall. Heard of it happening to one young fella I used to train with, but he was not normal, he was almost as powerful as Robbie McEwan or Baden Cooke
Trainer at home is superior for serious training. You ride your own bike and can design the workouts. Focus is the key. Regarding the tire, Continental makes a tire for trainers only. It works very well and I fit it onto my wife's bike and mine during the winter.

vascdoc said:
Trainer at home is superior for serious training. You ride your own bike and can design the workouts. Focus is the key. Regarding the tire, Continental makes a tire for trainers only. It works very well and I fit it onto my wife's bike and mine during the winter.
I have a third bike that I only use on the trainer. I set it up to mimic my road bikes (same saddle, bars, geometry etc) and I use an old set of wheels and tires on it. I run a wired computer with a rear mounted speed sensor, as well as a cadence sensor and HRM. It's a good way to work on certain skills, and when the snow clears and I hop on my road bike, I feel like I haven't missed out on too much. I watch cycling videos and try to mimic the efforts and cadence of the pros. It's a fun workout and since I can't watch the cycling videos in the family room without catching major grief from my wife and kids, it's a nice outlet.

I dumped my gym membership and got a Computrainer instead. I think it was a much better investment. This winter I got quality training in with it. I never got bored with different courses, plus I could measure my progress with test rides (not to mention training with power--see the other Cyclingforums for that). I also was stuck on the trainer for 2 months with a broken wrist. I biked hilly courses on it and actually came out of my injury faster than I was before I broke it. Yes, Computrainers are not cheap, but I think it's a worthy investment if you're going to spend a good deal of time training indoors. Good luck!

The riders who posted after my post made some excellent points that hit home. The benefits are enormous, one time I used it twice in a week in place of two of my normal training rides, and on the Saturday bunch ride, the bike felt lighter, as if it had lost 3 kgs...:confused:
One big difference I noticed,
is that when on the road you can freewheel when you get lazy,
however on the trainer you can't: which means
  • so you get a better workout/more honest workout, more consistent
  • your pedalling action is improved and becomes more efficient
as a right-hander, I know my right leg does about 60% of the total work
and the trainer makes my left leg pull its weight...
I wish I could be motivated to do a half-hour 3 times a week...but my philosophy is, you work in an office with 4 walls around you, when you're at home- 4 walls...you get out on the road on your trusty iron horse and you are free...

allenpg said:
I dumped my gym membership and got a Computrainer instead. I think it was a much better investment. This winter I got quality training in with it. I never got bored with different courses, plus I could measure my progress with test rides (not to mention training with power--see the other Cyclingforums for that). I also was stuck on the trainer for 2 months with a broken wrist. I biked hilly courses on it and actually came out of my injury faster than I was before I broke it. Yes, Computrainers are not cheap, but I think it's a worthy investment if you're going to spend a good deal of time training indoors. Good luck!
I agree. I have a computrainer as well. Everyone in the family in the winter keeps a bike in the basement. Great investment for sure.

Aussie Steve said:
The riders who posted after my post made some excellent points that hit home. The benefits are enormous, one time I used it twice in a week in place of two of my normal training rides, and on the Saturday bunch ride, the bike felt lighter, as if it had lost 3 kgs...:confused:
One big difference I noticed,
is that when on the road you can freewheel when you get lazy,
however on the trainer you can't: which means
  • so you get a better workout/more honest workout, more consistent
  • your pedalling action is improved and becomes more efficient
as a right-hander, I know my right leg does about 60% of the total work
and the trainer makes my left leg pull its weight...
I wish I could be motivated to do a half-hour 3 times a week...but my philosophy is, you work in an office with 4 walls around you, when you're at home- 4 walls...you get out on the road on your trusty iron horse and you are free...

No question riding outdoors is better but if you have to ride indoors a trainer is better than the gym. The Computrainer does provides spin analysis to look at the quality of the pedaling, its efficiency and helps to provide insight in developing a more efficient mechanical movement. I can go on and on about the computrainer but there are far better posting already on this subject.