transparent bar tape wrap?

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Kwan Seng Low, Feb 1, 2003.

  1. Recently acquired a red easton carbon road bar. Is there anyone selling transparent bar tape, so
    after the wrapping still showing the red color?

    Thanks Kwan

    kwanseng AT YAHOO . COM

    Tags:

  2. lisated

    lisated Guest

    > Recently acquired a red easton carbon road bar. Is there anyone selling transparent bar tape, so
    > after the wrapping still showing the red color?
    >
    > Thanks Kwan

    Lots of clear tapes are available, but they wouldn't feel very good on a handlebar. So just hang up
    your bike with those beautiful red bars in your living room and admire it once a day.

    Or put red tape on the bars.

    Ted Bennett

  3. Frank Knox

    Frank Knox Guest

    "Kwan Seng Low" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Recently acquired a red easton carbon road bar. Is there anyone selling transparent bar tape, so
    > after the wrapping still showing the red color?
    >
    > Thanks Kwan
    >
    > kwanseng AT YAHOO . COM

    Off topic- I'm curious about the road buzz dampening qualities of carbon bars. Do they help?

  4. On Sun, 02 Feb 2003 09:52:23 -0500, Frank Knox wrote:

    > I'm curious about the road buzz dampening qualities of carbon bars. Do they help?

    Probably not nearly as much as wider, lower pressure tires.

  5. Robin Hubert

    Robin Hubert Guest

    "Steve Palincsar" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > On Sun, 02 Feb 2003 09:52:23 -0500, Frank Knox wrote:
    >

    > > I'm curious about the road buzz dampening qualities of carbon bars. Do they help?
    >
    > Probably not nearly as much as wider, lower pressure tires.

    "Probably"?

    Robin Hubert

  6. Robin Hubert

    Robin Hubert Guest

    "Steve Palincsar" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > On Sun, 02 Feb 2003 09:52:23 -0500, Frank Knox wrote:
    >

    > > I'm curious about the road buzz dampening qualities of carbon bars. Do they help?
    >
    > Probably not nearly as much as wider, lower pressure tires.

    "Probably"?

    Robin Hubert

  7. Robin Hubert

    Robin Hubert Guest

    "Steve Palincsar" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > On Sun, 02 Feb 2003 09:52:23 -0500, Frank Knox wrote:
    >

    > > I'm curious about the road buzz dampening qualities of carbon bars. Do they help?
    >
    > Probably not nearly as much as wider, lower pressure tires.

    "Probably"?

    Robin Hubert

  8. In article <[email protected]>,
    Steve Palincsar <[email protected]> wrote:

    > On Sun, 02 Feb 2003 09:52:23 -0500, Frank Knox wrote:
    >

    > > I'm curious about the road buzz dampening qualities of carbon bars. Do they help?
    >
    > Probably not nearly as much as wider, lower pressure tires.

    Sure. But for someone serious enough to contemplate equipment as baroque as carbon bars, wide tires
    are probably out for aerodynamic reasons (it's not a big difference, but for TT riders and some
    other racers, small differences make a big difference). If a carbon bar offers noticeable damping,
    that's a "free" benefit (free in the sense of not costing performance elsewhere).

    I'm not fast enough to care, so I ride 27x1-1/4" tires.

    Or were they 27x1-1/8"? Whatever MEC had cheap.

  9. jmk-<< Off topic- I'm curious about the road buzz dampening qualities of carbon bars. Do they help?

    Not in my experience with a steel Nobilette, formerly with Cinelli 64-42, now with kestrel carbon
    bars, same ti stem-no difference that I can tell. I got the bars for the shape, not the weight or
    the 'ride'.

  10. Terry Rudd

    Terry Rudd Guest

    Qui si parla Campagnolo wrote:
    > jmk-<< Off topic- I'm curious about the road buzz dampening qualities of carbon bars. Do
    > they help?
    >
    > Not in my experience with a steel Nobilette, formerly with Cinelli 64-42, now with kestrel carbon
    > bars, same ti stem-no difference that I can tell. I got the bars for the shape, not the weight or
    > the 'ride'.

    I have to agree with Peter here. I have a set of Easton EC-90s and can tell no reduction in hand
    nerve irritation (road buzz) between the Eastons and my old Modolo X-Tenos 8 bend bars. I replaced
    my very nice steel fork with an Alpha Q Pro fork thinking that might help, again no net benefit
    after 100 miles of testing. (I really like the ride of that fork and am glad I got it but my hand
    still have problems.)

    I just have to move my hands a lot these days. I have tried ergo gloves and use Cinelli Cork- the
    best I know and still get nerve buzz.

    Back to the original base note: Clear tape. I have a similar question: has anyone seen a dark green
    or a black/dark green cork tape? Thanks in advance,

    Terry

  11. Bfd

    Bfd Guest

    Terry Rudd <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > Qui si parla Campagnolo wrote:
    > > jmk-<< Off topic- I'm curious about the road buzz dampening qualities of carbon bars. Do
    > > they help?
    > >
    > > Not in my experience with a steel Nobilette, formerly with Cinelli 64-42, now with kestrel
    > > carbon bars, same ti stem-no difference that I can tell. I got the bars for the shape, not the
    > > weight or the 'ride'.
    >
    > I have to agree with Peter here. I have a set of Easton EC-90s and can tell no reduction in hand
    > nerve irritation (road buzz) between the Eastons and my old Modolo X-Tenos 8 bend bars. I replaced
    > my very nice steel fork with an Alpha Q Pro fork thinking that might help, again no net benefit
    > after 100 miles of testing. (I really like the ride of that fork and am glad I got it but my hand
    > still have problems.)
    >
    > I just have to move my hands a lot these days. I have tried ergo gloves and use Cinelli Cork- the
    > best I know and still get nerve buzz.

    Or try wider tires, e.g., 700x25 or even 28. Wider tires = more air volume = more comfort. Plus, you
    only need to pump them up to 100-110psi...

    > Back to the original base note: Clear tape. I have a similar question: has anyone seen a dark
    > green or a black/dark green cork tape? Thanks in advance,

    The only green tape I've seen are cloth and plastic. Cinelli makes a green cork, but its suppose to
    be celeste (and thus, lighter than you seem to want). For more see Sheldon Brown's site here:
    http://www.sheldonbrown.com/harris/head.html#tape

  12. A Muzi

    A Muzi Guest

    "bfd" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Terry Rudd <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > > Qui si parla Campagnolo wrote:
    > > > jmk-<< Off topic- I'm curious about the road buzz dampening qualities of carbon bars.
    Do they
    > > > help?
    > > >
    > > > Not in my experience with a steel Nobilette, formerly with Cinelli
    64-42, now
    > > > with kestrel carbon bars, same ti stem-no difference that I can tell.
    I got the
    > > > bars for the shape, not the weight or the 'ride'.
    > >
    > > I have to agree with Peter here. I have a set of Easton EC-90s and can tell no reduction in hand
    > > nerve irritation (road buzz) between the Eastons and my old Modolo X-Tenos 8 bend bars. I
    > > replaced my very nice steel fork with an Alpha Q Pro fork thinking that might help, again no net
    > > benefit after 100 miles of testing. (I really like the ride of that fork and am glad I got it
    > > but my hand still have problems.)
    > >
    > > I just have to move my hands a lot these days. I have tried ergo gloves and use Cinelli Cork-
    > > the best I know and still get nerve buzz.
    > >
    > Or try wider tires, e.g., 700x25 or even 28. Wider tires = more air volume = more comfort. Plus,
    > you only need to pump them up to 100-110psi...
    >
    > > Back to the original base note: Clear tape. I have a similar question: has anyone seen a dark
    > > green or a black/dark green cork tape? Thanks in advance,
    > >
    > The only green tape I've seen are cloth and plastic. Cinelli makes a green cork, but its suppose
    > to be celeste (and thus, lighter than you seem to want). For more see Sheldon Brown's site here:
    > http://www.sheldonbrown.com/harris/head.html#tape

    There are indeed green tapes: http://www.yellowjersey.org/photosfromthepast/GREENTAP.JPG

    if one is so inclined.

  13. Bfd