Trek 2300 vs Cannondale R1000

Scuba Steve

Jun 21, 2003
Looking at both bikes............Which would you prefer and why? I know which one I am leaning towards, but would like an honest second opinion for comparison. Thanks.

Scuba Steve :confused:

Thanks for the insight. After riding the Cannondale, I am almost sold..............not that the Trek isn't a nice ride. The R1000 is a sweet bike. I really like the way it handles and fits. Before riding it, I was leaning toward the Trek. Decisions, Decisions!!!

Scuba Steve

Originally posted by Scuba Steve
Thanks for the insight. After riding the Cannondale, I am almost sold..............not that the Trek isn't a nice ride. The R1000 is a sweet bike. I really like the way it handles and fits. Before riding it, I was leaning toward the Trek. Decisions, Decisions!!!

Scuba Steve

I'm in the same boat. been looking at the trek 2300 but not sure if it's the best bet for me at this point. if you go with the cannondale, i'd be interested in knowing how it works out for you.

Elliot

I have a CAAD4 with the curved seat stays. Stiff, responsive but very, very harsh. Excellent frame BUT if you have any concerns about back pain, vibration or similar, be careful as you may need to consider something other than aluminium. I've no idea what those bikes are worth in the US, but have a look at
www.pedalforce.com

Yeah, it's the CAAD7. Should have it anyday now. Upgrading the brakes, front der. and bottom bracket to have full Ultegra. Should be a fun bike! Looking forward to many happy miles.

Scuba Steve

Cannondale forever.

Great, great, great, great, great frame.

maybe The Frame.

the problem with Cannondale are bottom bracket, crank set, coda or kalloy parts etc etc but if you upgrade with Ulegra or dura ace and a good seat post (i put on a carbon monocoque seat post and the bike is stiff but very confortable now) and a good stem...

you will have an unbeatable bike.

ciao

Originally posted by Scuba Steve
Yeah, it's the CAAD7. Should have it anyday now. Upgrading the brakes, front der. and bottom bracket to have full Ultegra. Should be a fun bike! Looking forward to many happy miles.

Scuba Steve
Well since you already have it,nice bike.I see supergo has it for $1450.The trek was set up better,full ultegra, but more moneyIf your just going to ride and it rides better,you got the right bike.

I am also trying to make up my mind on which of these two to purchase. Any votes for another bike in this price range that might be even better?

Originally posted by jon
I am also trying to make up my mind on which of these two to purchase. Any votes for another bike in this price range that might be even better?
Well i just got a fuji marseille,853 steel frame,all ultegra with a ritchey crank at performance for $1199.Go to supergo website and see what they have on sale.

I even beat the price at Supergo. I've already upgraded to full Ultegra for less than $100. (Brakes & Frnt Der) I'm very happy with my purchase. See you on the road. Peace!

Scuba Steve

the guys at my local bike shop have been trying to talk me into the bianchi giro. i honestly don't know about that particular bike (obviously know bianchi by name and reputation). it's at least $500 less than that good old trek 2300 . . . but i've never ridden it and i would have to plunk the 20% down to order my size in the shop. they say they'd probably not charge me for it if i don't like it but who wants to fight it out with those guys?

i know this is off-topic for this thread, but any info would be wonderful for me.

I actually have a friend riding an '03 Bianchi Giro. He really likes it and praises it daily!!!!! It must be good, because he really badmouthed his old Klein, w/full Ultegra, from the day he bought it. He even is very satisfied w/ the 105. Lucky for him, someone stole his Klein earlier this year. As for your bikeshop, screw paying 20% down. IMO, If you are really interested, they should get the bike in your size to try and make the sale. How can they expect to sell a bike and have you commit to buying, when you haven't even test ridden it. I know some shops operate this way, but none of the ones I frequent! Good Luck!

Scuba Steve

Originally posted by shokhead1
Well i just got a fuji marseille,853 steel frame,all ultegra with a ritchey crank at performance for $1199.Go to supergo website and see what they have on sale.

This is a very interesting debate. About a year ago I had money down on a 'dale R500 (CAAD 3) but didn't complete as we moved house - blew the deposit on new SPD shoes, and parts for my mtb (just had my first crash and wanted some upgrades to make myself feel better :D ) Haven't done much (any) riding for a while (busted knee, work etc.) but now coming 'round to buying a road bike again, though this time with a bigger budget. So, I am thinking 'dale R1000 vs. Trek 2300 (or 5200 maybe ;) ) vs. 853 custom steel and damn well equipped (FYI - 2300 is £1500, R1000 is £1700, Steel is...however much I want to pay for it :p

Issues:

1) Rider weight - 195lbs
2) Frame weight vs. comfort
3) Wheel package
4) Upgradability - what deals I can work with the shop
5) Colour (sorry, just don't like the R1000 colours. Now, the R800, that looks sweet!)

Any comments/input greatly appreciated. Deal won't be done for a couple of months, so plenty of time to give me your two cents worth!

Cheers,

Deej

Originally posted by Deejay
This is a very interesting debate. About a year ago I had money down on a 'dale R500 (CAAD 3) but didn't complete as we moved house - blew the deposit on new SPD shoes, and parts for my mtb (just had my first crash and wanted some upgrades to make myself feel better :D ) Haven't done much (any) riding for a while (busted knee, work etc.) but now coming 'round to buying a road bike again, though this time with a bigger budget. So, I am thinking 'dale R1000 vs. Trek 2300 (or 5200 maybe ;) ) vs. 853 custom steel and damn well equipped (FYI - 2300 is £1500, R1000 is £1700, Steel is...however much I want to pay for it :p

Issues:

1) Rider weight - 195lbs
2) Frame weight vs. comfort
3) Wheel package
4) Upgradability - what deals I can work with the shop
5) Colour (sorry, just don't like the R1000 colours. Now, the R800, that looks sweet!)

Any comments/input greatly appreciated. Deal won't be done for a couple of months, so plenty of time to give me your two cents worth!

Cheers,

Deej
04's are coming with some new colors.

Originally posted by shokhead1
04's are coming with some new colors.

I have both steel and Aluminium frames, but have to say that given the choice I would always buy a Cannondale.

I have two Cannondale Mountain Bikes, one 10 years old and a Cannondal road bike.

They are stiff, light, comfortable, responsive and durable. What more can you ask.

I'm not convinced about CODA parts though, which were on my original MTB and did not work as well as Shimano. My road bike is 105 and Ultegra which is fine for me. The MTB's are all Shimano.

Interesting topic. Trek and Cannondale are both good bikes but around Sacramento California and at this time of year it seems Giant bikes have the best bang for the buck.

Originally posted by Insight Driver
Interesting topic. Trek and Cannondale are both good bikes but around Sacramento California and at this time of year it seems Giant bikes have the best bang for the buck.

The "Best bang for buck" issue is an interesting one.

Most of us have to go through this phase of our lives until we have enough money to do the right thin g and follow our hearts.

Some people are lucky enough (either financially or emotionally) to always have that attitude.

It took me a long time, and I still succumb occasionally to it, but I am gradually learning to ignore my head and listen to my heart.

Then I buy another Cannondale (Saab/Leica, whatever).

Once done you never regret it.

A few years ago I would have bought the TREK hands down. For once, I actually considered my options and really shopped around in the same price range. IMO, the Cannondale is a better value although it wasn't completely spec'ed w/ full Ultegra, the frame was much better. Upgrading the front der, brakes and B/B would be easy, fairly cheap and you could do it at your own pace. The 2300 is a nice bike and very appealing to the eye, but this time, I let my seat of the pants make my decision for me. Too me, the Cannondale just rode better.

Scuba Steve