Trek - why is online ordering not allowed?

mds2076

Jul 27, 2004
Trying to get a Trek Disco Inferno tail light and I discover that this, along with most other Trek accessories cannot be ordered on line. While the Trek items exist in the online bike shops they all say personal pick up only. So what's the reason for this? It would be a bit expensive to take a trip to the US just to buy a light!

mds2076 said:
Trying to get a Trek Disco Inferno tail light and I discover that this, along with most other Trek accessories cannot be ordered on line. While the Trek items exist in the online bike shops they all say personal pick up only. So what's the reason for this? It would be a bit expensive to take a trip to the US just to buy a light!
Because online retailers often sell items at lower prices than physical stores some brands protect their dealers located in stores by restricting products to in store sales only. This is not unique to Trek. For a long time Nike shoes were unavailable by mail order or online and the same is true for other brands as well.

My opinion is that Trek products are no better than other brands that you can get online at a better price.

They also want to ensure that any bike they sell has been assembled correctly, and sending an unassembled bike out is asking for trouble in the potential for legal troubles, i.e. suing for problems/accidents caused by incorrectly assembled gear.