Triathlon Transitions

I think definitely transitions should be counted, and in pro mass start races, MUST be counted so
that the first person to cross the finish line is indeed the winner. Imagine battling to catch
someone the last 200 meters, only to find they change shoes slower than you, so you lose.

It's also a great excuse to get some rest between events, which is a big advantage in shorter
events. I know someone who got lost on the bike course and came in 15 minutes late, so he didn't
care about his time and stood around talking with staff for about five minutes, then went out and of
course set his PR for a 5K, probably ANY 5K. There would still be a limit, and everyone would just
stand around and stretch until they reached that
limit.

Just like Grand Prix racing, cyclocross, etc., transitions SHOULD be part of the race. Keeping a
clear head with a high heart rate is a necessary skill. "Harold Buck" <[email protected]> wrote
in message news:[email protected]...
> In article <[email protected]>, Radioactive Man <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > On 9 Jun 2003 11:30:31 -0700, [email protected] (Tommy Tri) wrote:
> >
> > >Have the anti-draftites ever considered a lobby to rid the triathlon of counting the transition
> > >time?
> > >
> > >Surely this must be the only sport in the world that counts changing clothes and equipment as
> > >part of the performance time. The Decathlon does not launch a sprint from the pole vault pit.
> > >
> > >Just asking?
>
>
> Oh, yeah. In the biathlon, they don't count transition time toward your total time, or in
> duathlon either.
>
> In NASCAR racing, pit stops don't count against you either. You can get out of the car, take a
> bath, whatever, and finish the race when you feel like it.
>
> Also, in track, they don't count the time it takes to exchange the baton against you. They just
> have 4 people run against the clock and then total up the times.
>
> Oh, wait, maybe that isn't right after all.
>
> Think about it: in other racing sports, if you WANT to change clothes and equipment, the clock
> doesn't stop for you. You don't HAVE to take any time for transitions in triathlon: swim without a
> wetsuit, then bike and run barefoot.
>
> [Actually, I'd bet there's a rule that says you have to wear shoes.]
>
> --Harold Buck
>
>
> "I used to rock and roll all night, and party every day. Then it was every other day. . . ."
>
> - Homer J. Simpson