Trimming Ultegra FD

mre

Oct 14, 2003
Y'all helped me with ghost shifting, so I'm confident you can help me again.

I have a relatively new bike outfitted with mostly Ultegra. A "problem" that popped up recently is my inability to "trim" the FD.

The Ultegra FD (FD-6500) has an intermediate "click" whereby I can use the large ring with the larger cogs without chain rub (I avoid using the large ring in combination with the large cog, aka crossover). If the chain rubs the FD when in this configuration, Shimano Service Instructions (SI-6C80B) recommends trimming. When I trim the shifter (the innner lever), instead of moving a single click, the lever always moves two clicks. I've tried trimming while pedaling or coasting, with no success.

Any suggestions???

Thanks

I have had this problem with bikes before and it can be a simple fix. I think that the problem is with the cable tension on the cable and maybe the set screws. If you put the FD on the small ring and the chain on the large cog in back check the distance between the chain and the FD inner cage. It should be about 3mm from the cage. Move the set screws to position the cage in the right place. Next check the cable tension in that position and make sure it is tight. Nexted put the chain on the small cog in back and shift the FD to the large ring. Make sure that the chain is not rubbing on the outside cage plate and adjust with the set screw. Also in this position make sure the outside cage plate is parallel to the chainring if it is not you have to start all over again. I find it hard to set the FD parallel to the chainring because you want it parallel at the end of it's swing. One other thing that should be checked is the height of the FD above the large chainring, it needs to be about 2 to three mm from the FD cage. On triples it needs to be a little higher because of the inside cage hitting the middle chainring. I hope that I am making sense and I hope this helps you out. your trim should now work good, hopefully!?

Thanks I'll give it a shot.

Originally posted by pudster
I have had this problem with bikes before and it can be a simple fix. I think that the problem is with the cable tension on the cable and maybe the set screws. If you put the FD on the small ring and the chain on the large cog in back check the distance between the chain and the FD inner cage. It should be about 3mm from the cage. Move the set screws to position the cage in the right place. Next check the cable tension in that position and make sure it is tight. Nexted put the chain on the small cog in back and shift the FD to the large ring. Make sure that the chain is not rubbing on the outside cage plate and adjust with the set screw. Also in this position make sure the outside cage plate is parallel to the chainring if it is not you have to start all over again. I find it hard to set the FD parallel to the chainring because you want it parallel at the end of it's swing. One other thing that should be checked is the height of the FD above the large chainring, it needs to be about 2 to three mm from the FD cage. On triples it needs to be a little higher because of the inside cage hitting the middle chainring. I hope that I am making sense and I hope this helps you out. your trim should now work good, hopefully!?

Pudster's probably got the right advice for you, but just in case it's helpful, my own experience is that trimming the Ultegra FD, especially in the large ring, is a bit temperamental. It seems to take a real light touch to get it to trim instead of doing a full shift to the small ring. When I first started riding an Ultegra double, I would "over-trim" at least half the time. With practice, though, I can trim fairly reliably now, though occassionally I will slip into the small ring inadvertantly. If you're *never* able to trim, then mechanical adjustments are in order. If you're having trouble trimming consistently, it might just be a matter of getting used to the FD.

Stephen

Are you riding double or triple ?
if triple you can´t trim the 52 only the middle and inner .
if double take to the shop , ´cause It´s a lot more hassle than it seems and it could be something in the lever causing the fault so let them break it while it´s under warrenty , not on your time .

Originally posted by pudster
If you put the FD on the small ring and the chain on the large cog in back check the distance between the chain and the FD inner cage. It should be about 3mm from the cage. One other thing that should be checked is the height of the FD above the large chainring, it needs to be about 2 to three mm from the FD cage. On triples it needs to be a little higher because of the inside cage hitting the middle chainring.
Shimano says .5-1mm clearance between chain and cage. Also 1-3 mm height clearance is adequate for either double or triple FD.

I set up my Ultegra triple and can reach all cogs from all rings without rub except the two largest cogs from the the big ring.

Position 1 - small ring
Position 2 - small ring +
Position 3 - middle ring -
Position 4 - middle ring
Position 5 - middle ring +
Position 6 - big ring

You get to the - and + positions with 'half clicks' from the shifter.

The internet has several good articles on how to set this up...that's where I learned the technique. I used this source from cyclingnews.com:

http://www.cyclingnews.com/tech/fix/?id=frontmech

Originally posted by tourdelivermore
I set up my Ultegra triple and can reach all cogs from all rings without rub except the two largest cogs from the the big ring.

Position 1 - small ring
Position 2 - small ring +
Position 3 - middle ring -
Position 4 - middle ring
Position 5 - middle ring +
Position 6 - big ring

You get to the - and + positions with 'half clicks' from the shifter.

The internet has several good articles on how to set this up...that's where I learned the technique. I used this source from cyclingnews.com:

http://www.cyclingnews.com/tech/fix/?id=frontmech

Great instructions and clear pictures illustrate the adjustments very well.