Trouble reaching handlebars

mbergen

Dec 8, 2004
Hi. I am trying to figure out if there is anything I (or the bike shop) can do to the handlebars to make them easier for me to reach. When I bought my bike, I was kind of in between sizes and went with the larger size, because it was in stock - possibly a mistake. At the time I bought it, I did get something put on the handlebars that allows me to rotate them so they are closer to me, but not nearly enough. I'd found with my old bike that I put alot of pressure on my wrists from leaning on them - and unfortunately have the same problem with this one.

The only problem I have with it, is that I feel I need to reach so far for the handlebars - If I lean forward enough so my arms aren't real stretched out, it bothers my neck. I have pectoral muscle problems so reaching out is bothering me - and also leaning forward putting pressuer on the muscle also causes me problems. I find I am the most comfortable when I ride in as upright a position as I can get - when I can I ride with only a few fingers touching the handlebars - obviously I can't do that when I need the brakes.

I was looking at handlebar extensions (bar-ends) online. Do you know, can this be put on any mountain bike? I can't tell because of the rubber on the ends of the handlebars. Does this sound like the type of thing that might help - something else I can hold onto if I am riding a long time on a fairly straight bike path to give my shoulders a break?

I don't care so much what the handlebars look like - as long as they are comfortable. I was looking, and it looks like the gears clamp onto the handlebar so it looks like getting a different handlebar might also be an option - it's not the type that you change gears by rotating the handlebar ends (sorry if I'm not using the correct technical terms).

It doesn't appear the handlebar height can be adjusted and the seat is as far forward as it can be.

I'm 5-6" with fairly long legs - the size of bike is good for my legs - I have ITB syndrome while riding bikes - and I have it at a good position where I'm not bothered much at all, so don't want to adjust the seat ht or position.

Meg

Ooh. Big problem there. You should have gone for the smaller size, you could have gotten a bigger stem. If the seat is as far forward as it can go, you could either get an in-line seatpost with no setback, or turn the seatpost around so you have set-forward. This will cuase you big trouble through hills though.

bobbyOCR said:
Ooh. Big problem there. You should have gone for the the seatpost around so you have set-forward. This will cuase you big trouble through hills though.
Most of the biking I do is on fairly flat bike trails, though I will occassionally ride at a park with some fairly steep hills.

I can reach the handlebars - it's just a strain on the pec muscle. I am probably just feeling it more today cause I rode about twice as far as I usually do (20 miles) I just feel like if there was just something I could hold onto on the handlebars that was a little closer to give my pectoral muscle a break occassionaly it might help - I thought the handlebar extensions look like a possibility - just didn't know if you could put them on any bike.

The other thing I read about is a riser handlebar - that also looks like a possibility - I don't know if something like that could be added to a mountain bike.

Meg

Seatpost, zero offset or forward facing,
then look at a stem riser to bring the bars up higher.

I fit short ladies to bikes all the time, yes the smaller size would have been better. :rolleyes:

I am fitting up a 4'10" lady to her new Mountain Bike at the moment, she is changing the seatpost to a forward facing and the stem to a 90mm adjustable and crank arms to 152mm, and cutting 20mm off each end of the bars. ;)

gclark8 said:
I fit short ladies to bikes all the time, yes the smaller size would have been better. :rolleyes:
Oh - yes, I know it would have been better - but now that I have it and don't want to buy a new bike - I think I will call the bike shop and see if they can help me add something to help it - thanks for the suggestions.

With all the medical bills I've spent in physical therapy no point in making myself worse and I don't want to give up biking.

Meg

You could also get a downhill stem, which is very, very short. This may make handling a bit twitchy though.

I just went out and flipped the seat around. I think that might help - but won't know until I ride it but sitting on it feels a little better. At least it may give me an extra inch or two. I'll have to wait till my chest stops hurting to know for sure.

I like the idea of higher handlebars. They seems so low - but I don't want to lower my seat so that my leg bothers me.

I'll call the bike shop the next day they are open. I bet they can help me add something that will help. I've had the bike two years, and it's been OK - but it would be nice if something could be done to the handlebars so I could ride longer distances without pain.

Oh, btw it is a Haro V2 bicycle - don't know if that info helps at all.

Thanks.

Meg