Tubes in tubeless wheels?

monkeymagic

Jul 23, 2007
Hi All,

I have some mavic crossroc wheels with some hutchinson tubeless tyres on them which are in fairly good condition except they dont seem to seal properly and have a very slow leak. Is it possible to put a tube them as normal? I can't really afford to buy tubeless tires at the moment.

Thanks! :D

I don't know this wheel but I have friends who often put tubes in tubeless setups after punctures while mountain biking.

Tubeless if far superior to tubes. Anybody who tells you different doesn't know what they are talking about. You will not a find a pro racer who runs tubes.

A couple of tricks.

1. When mounting the tires use soap and water.
2. Always run some sort of sealent in your tires. Stans is the best right now any good bike shop should have some in stock.
3. Do not be to agressive with your air pressure. Some people will go as low as 20 psi but I think that is pushing it. I find 30 psi works for my riding style, weight, and tire choice.

kclw said:
A couple of tricks.

1. When mounting the tires use soap and water.
2. Always run some sort of sealent in your tires. Stans is the best right now any good bike shop should have some in stock.
3. Do not be to agressive with your air pressure. Some people will go as low as 20 psi but I think that is pushing it. I find 30 psi works for my riding style, weight, and tire choice.

Correct. Be sensible in your chocie of tyre though! The reason for going tubeless is traction, not necessarily. I prefer a system like stans to mavic UST because of the choice of tyres is much greater. Even with UST it is sensible to use the stans latex so may as well just use the entire system!

You pretty much HAVE to use sealant to get the tire to hold an initial seal and to keep it inflated against small punctures that would flatten a tube. The system is awesome. I can get 5-10 cockleburs in one tire and keeep going.
Didn't know Crossrocks were tubeless compatible.