Tubs-Advice needed!

gmdave2002

Apr 20, 2006
I have just purchased a disc wheel for my tt bike in an attempt ot shave off a few seconds in future 10s. The tub on the disc says it can be inflated to 220 psi and after spending a few hours surfing cycling sites on the web the advice seems to be that pressures of up to 200 psi can be done.

However, the one piece of advice I can't get is how to get the pressure this high! I have tried my track pump (a decent pump) and can only get about 160 psi into the tyre. How do other tub users do it?

Has anyone got any ideas????

gmdave2002 said:
I have just purchased a disc wheel for my tt bike in an attempt ot shave off a few seconds in future 10s. The tub on the disc says it can be inflated to 220 psi and after spending a few hours surfing cycling sites on the web the advice seems to be that pressures of up to 200 psi can be done.

However, the one piece of advice I can't get is how to get the pressure this high! I have tried my track pump (a decent pump) and can only get about 160 psi into the tyre. How do other tub users do it?

Has anyone got any ideas????

There are a lot of discussions that can be found on the web about tire inflation pressure and rolling resistance.

Based on what I have read, you probably don't really want to go that high with the PSI unless you are racing on a perfectly smooth track. See the links below for some discussion of PSI and rolling resistance (about 2/3 way down the page in the velonews one). An excessively hard tire may actually make you slower because it will skip and bounce on the road irregularities-thus wasting your energy, and be more uncomfortable.

130-145PSI is probably plenty.

http://www.velonews.com/tech/report/articles/7508.0.html
http://www.nimble.net/subpages/tirepressure.html

you definately dont need 220 psi on the road, hell i only go up to 180 on the track. with a disc being so much stiffer than a spoked wheel you'll be getting more road shock anyways so dont go overboard with the pump. try different pressures and see whats comfortable for you

HAHAHAHAHHAHAA!!! 220 on a disc. Heck around these roads your bike and **** would shatter after a few seconds.

130 is heaps. If your a lightweight like me then 115 is heaps. I train on 90 race on 110