Turbo trainer spare wheel???

lee85

Oct 12, 2012
Hi guys,
I'm just about to splash out on a planet x time trial bike, and thinking about opting for the tubular wheels.
However with winter fast approaching I want to be able to use it on my indoor turbo trainer.
What do I need to set up a spare rear wheel to do this... can I get away with just a cheap wheel and cassette, or do I need to match the cassette with the SRAM one on the tt bike?

When I used a trainer of this type I used an old beater type bike so it was ready all the time in case of bad weather and I used old tires. The bike doesn't need to look good or even fit perfectly on a trainer.
Just a thought.

i would buy a pair of clincher wheels for training and leave the tubulars just for racing or club events, then use the same clincher for the trainer, but answering your question, yes you can use a cheap wheel, for the cassette it needs to be of the same brand and number (9, 10, or 11 cogs), cog combination doesnt matter, like 12-25 or 11-23 or 12-27 etc p.s. SRAM is compatible with SHIMANO i think please check that the skewers work with your trainer, not all do